Turbo on 2000 Limited 5.0 | Page 37 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo on 2000 Limited 5.0

Turbo compressor map.gif
Well guys, I don't even have it yet and I'm looking at going turbo.

I think I'll be going STS style with the turbo underneath the the body. I'm hoping I can find room somewhere closer to the front to mount it. If not, I may just go classic style and cut the muffler out and install the turbo in its place.

Tim was kind enough to point me at a turbo for sale locally. I'm checking it out now. I sent the specs to James Henson to see what his thoughts are.

Here's the specs:
t4 F1-68 turbine .68 a/r housing 3" exhaust outlet with a 72mm compressor blade 4inch inlet, 2.5 inch outlet, journal bearing. Also, see compressor map attached. I have a vague understanding, and that concerns me.

Now, the next issue is oil routing.
Oil in to the turbo would be handled from a T off the oil pressure sending unit on the block. Return oil would need a scavenge pump to the top of the oil pan, or in the timing chain cover. The scavenge pump adds quite a bit of cost to the setup. I think saving a few bucks in this area would spell disaster. So, this seems to be the best pump out there:
http://turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pumps/Exa-Pump/Exa-Pump.html
Stainless steel oil lines will have to be used. As I read about under cab mounted turbo's oil issues seem to be a huge issue. This is going to require careful thought and routing.

My real issue is routing the air filter and compressed air up to the engine bay.
The frame rails will be the the way. I saw one guy notched out his frame for the plumbing and re-enforced the frame by welding metal around the plumbing line (3 inch or 4 inch hole). I'm concerned about running the two pipes and think this will be the biggest challenge. I really don't want that air filter under the truck.
See what this guy did on his ranger?

As for Maf? Pro-M all the way, in a blow thru design.

Fuel pump, injectors, sct go without saying. I'll be having James put together a care package for me along with the Pro-M.
Aeromotive Stealth 340 pump
Bosch uscar (EV6) 60lb injectors part # 108191

I'll recycle my boost gauge and wide band o2 from my supercharged 4.0 ohv.

I'll be using stainless steel for everything under the truck as rust always seems to be an issue.

Also. intercooling. I learned from my last project that cool intake air is incredibly important. People say on under cabin turbo's you don't really need it as the compressed air cools on the way up. Not good enough for me. Im going to go air/water so I have flexibility as to where I mount the intercooler. This could change, but intercooling of some form is a must.

My eye's are watering at what this is going to cost.

I see 02Limited turbo'd his, but he must have had quite a few issues and fell off the forum.

Not much info on guys completing something like this to be found. All input appreciated.

This will be a long process.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I feel like I should see if I can buy in to fel-pro with all the gaskets I've been going thru. I'm sure I'm single handedly driving their profits up.

Don, I also emailed FlowTech inductions with the head I was looking at and my cam specs asking for a quote with matched springs and for him to make sure the larger intake runners wouldn't cause a cam Mismatch.

4pointslow raised a good point that if the cam is wrong, the time to change it is when the heads are going on. The cam isn't a crazy high lift/ high duration one so I'm guessing it will be fine.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Don, I also emailed FlowTech inductions with the head I was looking at and my cam specs asking for a quote with matched springs and for him to make sure the larger intake runners wouldn't cause a cam Mismatch.

Ask Ed if your custom cam is usable for the heads you are wanting to go to, and if a new cam would be a big benefit to swap with the heads.

He would also be great to ask for a head recommendation. I'd want the 195cc range head for a 347, a TFS in the 300cfm range. That's what I will shop for when I get to my 332 build.

Ed has my current custom cam card, and I have filled out the cam spec sheet.
I'll get recommendation on cam and heads. I do hope I can keep my current cam though.

There is a good chance that I will get a head option with current cam, and another option with a higher flowing head and cam combo.

With the turbo, the rules do change a bit. Ed may even say to go with the highest flowing head possible with the current cam. That would be ok, All I'd need to do is port my lower intake to 1262 sizing then.

It's all guessing until I get the recommendation back. I'm not interested in spinning my motor to the moon, and want a reliable, nicely mannered daily driver so the specs do change. A 347 with a turbo should be able to drop 400-450hp to the wheels and have lots of mid range torque. The way I was currently spec'd, I don't think I would have hit that goal (which really surprised me).

IMG_20151104_233733.jpg
IMG_20151104_233753.jpg
Christmas came early for me.
Tim stopped by with a support bracket for the air conditioning core and all supporting hardware from a v6. Only people with factory v8's can appreciate the pain involved with replacing the rad. Its ok once in a while, but I've pushed over the top with rad removal/replacements this summer. I'm pretty excited that now I won't have to fight with those stupid rad clips anymore to support the air conditioning core.

I'm still patiently waiting on my heads. I really only have some header re-wrapping to do (all the motor r&r's have taken their toll on the wrap also) and some clean up left. Then I'm ready for the heads.

That block sure looks nice!

That block sure looks nice!

Lets just say I had time on my hands to clean up the pistons and head mating surfaces. I'll be able to give the block surface one final wipe with brake cleaner and drop the head gasket on it.

In speaking with flowtech inductions, and reading about the old ROL graphite gaskets, I'm going with the Mr Gasket graphite gaskets. I understand that the stock replacements fel-pro's should be fine, but in light of my issues I'm going to try something else a but more 'stout'.

The TW 170 heads are being custom prepped by FlowTech with springs to match my cam, so its taking a bit longer as the TW 170 FAC bare castings are not stocked by FlowTech. I'm hoping that the turn around happens soon as I'm almost ready to re-install the motor.

Did I say I'm super happy to not have to fight with the rad this time? :)

Are you changing just the support brackets for the AC condenser, or swapping the V6 part in place? I have both types, and haven't yet pulled a V8 radiator.

I do like the V6 bracket that bolts easily to the bottom of the condenser and radiator support. I've wondered if it could be fitted to the V8 easily.

Are you changing just the support brackets for the AC condenser, or swapping the V6 part in place? I have both types, and haven't yet pulled a V8 radiator.

Its the bottom support, the two black plastic end caps on each side of the v6 condenser, and the two top brackets with the rubber on them to bolt to the frame (and, of course, the bolts and 'nut clips'). Surprisingly simple. Keep all the same v8 air conditioning lines.

Why Ford came up with such a diabolical method for the v8's when they had a perfectly simple, logical mounting method on the v6 I'll never understand.

Its the bottom support, the two black plastic end caps on each side of the v6 condenser, and the two top brackets with the rubber on them to bolt to the frame (and, of course, the bolts and 'nut clips'). Surprisingly simple. Keep all the same v8 air conditioning lines.

Why Ford came up with such a diabolical method for the v8's when they had a perfectly simple, logical mounting method on the v6 I'll never understand.

Excellent, I'll get those extra pieces for my Mountaineer too.

Do you know if the V6 and V8 condensers are the same part, or at least the lines will swap? When I convert my Explorer to a 302, I'd like to keep as much of the original parts as I can(swap the dryer and top AC line).

The line off the pump that goes to the drivers side of the condenser will need to be swapped to the v8 line. Tim mentioned this to me in passing as he was thinking about what I would need.

I 'think' this means the pump is the same part number. I'll have a look at my pump. Rockauto catalog might be a great place to answer this question also.

Okay, both lines then most likely. I'm fairly sure the compressors are the same, the PS pump I'm hoping John will say soon if they also match bolt patterns. Those little monsters are expensive.

you didnt waist any time doing that, you must have had a lot of hate for it lol. did you have to pull the cooler, or did it squeeze by.

I had to pull the grinder out and massage one of the brackets from under the truck.

It was pretty easy. Lots of aluminum bits everywhere, but easy.

combustion chamber 3.jpg
Teaser pic

I'm pretty sure its 61cc compared to what I had of about 59cc.
A bit larger, but I'll still be around 9.4:1 which is still great for my application.
That, and the Mr. Gasket head gasket has a smaller compressed height of .038.

Think my heads were 60cc but those valves look like they take up way more room than mine..haha.. what size are they??got flow chart by chance also??you can email me if you dont want it public..haha

Edit ..i see your just getting springs done..so heads should be off shelf TFS 170..i have the flow rate for them and wowwww those things flow..would probably like to see a little larger exhaust valve being FI,but then again the exhaust is same valve size as mine so..:D

:bounce:does this mean they are home?:bounce:

remember, i am free ALL DAY (as far as i know) sat. that and looking back on your thread, i cant believe its been over a month since we pulled it. feels like its been longer then that, even longer for you as well

:bounce:does this mean they are home?:bounce:

remember, i am free ALL DAY (as far as i know) sat. that and looking back on your thread, i cant believe its been over a month since we pulled it. feels like its been longer then that, even longer for you as well

Tim you are one heck of a guy. :thumbsup:

Heads

Fricken sweat man!
Cant wait to hear about the power increase from them!

Back