Bought an Explorer at an Auction! EEK! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bought an Explorer at an Auction! EEK!

So I returned to the junkyard and was able to get a few things.

The Home Link system being one. Unfortunately the trim doesn't fit my current console
so I gotta figure something out. It's there, but not the way it's suppose to be.
I was lucky enough to have the harness already above the console so it works just isn't
installed oem way it's suppose to...

Here's the home link I got. The black part with 3 garage door openers.

$_1.jpg

and was hoping it would replace my center console piece. No luck.

05-ford-explorer-interior-lights-overhead-console-.jpg

Here is the one I need... But I'm not spending $50 on it! I got mine from the junkyard for $8... I'll wait until I find one at the yard...

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/mkYAAOSw5ZBWFuld/s-l1600.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure looks like a Katrina or Florida flood car. That brown in the diff fluid is the giveaway, as is all the small stuff under that carpet.

Alright so im trying to sell this explorer for one more long term.
I'm asking 3k. Is this too much?

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5317855658.html

"There is a rattle while the engine is running. Possibly a heat shield or something, I don't know."

This is usually timing chains.

Why didn't you pop the dent out of the bumper when you had it off?

3k? World is full of all kinds of buyers. Me? I wouldn't pay more than 1k, expecting to spend 2-3k putting an engine in.
Someone else? $2500-3500 I suppose.

I forgot about the dent while I had it off.
I guess I forget to take into account not everyone can drop in a motor.
I could put in a low mile motor for under a grand.

:sighs: Im sure I can get my money back, but I wasn't looking to drop it
that low. Though, I guess Id be willing to for wanting to get a eddie edition.

Alright thanks

The only reason I want an eddie is for v8 and sunroof/loaded. So I'm looking at paying 5600 for one with 150k locally. So i'm paying $3000 for a couple extra features. hmmmm.

Edit: If I had to lower the price to 2 grand, I don't think I could sell it. While I really want the features of an Eddie Edition... Outside of the noise it makes its a great car. Shifts nice and smooth, Hasn't let me down. I could throw a motor in there for less than a grand and get another 100k...

I dont know though, if I can get an eddie edition or a aviator at the auction i guess i'd let it go for 2k.

I guess I should try some new chain tensioners. Could be an easy fix.

I forgot about the dent while I had it off.
I guess I forget to take into account not everyone can drop in a motor.
I could put in a low mile motor for under a grand.

I guess I should try some new chain tensioners. Could be an easy fix.
Just my opinion, but I'd say if you want to keep it:
*Take the dent out of the bumper
*Take care of the engine problems

If you decide to sell:

Sounds like you're not intimidated by an engine swap which makes me think this should happen immediately if you want to sell.
Personally I'd think of it as a $1,000-$2,000 vehicle with an unknown problem in the engine and the small dent in the bumper is something you don't want someone focusing on when they're checking out such a nice looking vehicle.

Put in a low mileage engine and take the dent out of the bumper and you might easily double your return. I'd think $3,500-$5,000 or maybe even a little more.

Just my opinion, but I'd say if you want to keep it:

If you decide to sell:

Sounds like you're not intimidated by an engine swap which makes me think this should happen immediately if you want to sell.
Personally I'd think of it as a $1,000-$2,000 vehicle with an unknown problem in the engine and the small dent in the bumper is something you don't want someone focusing on when they're checking out such a nice looking vehicle.

Put in a low mileage engine and take the dent out of the bumper and you might easily double your return. I'd think $3,500-$5,000 or maybe even a little more.

I agree, but instead of swapping an engine, follow the threads on inspecting the timing components. It's not easy, but remove both valve covers and look for chain slack. I understand one cover to be easier than the other.
If you find slack, then pull the engine and replace the timing components. Including the tools and parts, it'll cost you another $500-600. But, once done, you should get $3500 plus.

Though it would be good to fix the running board if you haven't already. $20 at a wrecking yard.

I agree, but instead of swapping an engine, follow the threads on inspecting the timing components. It's not easy, but remove both valve covers and look for chain slack. I understand one cover to be easier than the other.
If you find slack, then pull the engine and replace the timing components. Including the tools and parts, it'll cost you another $500-600. But, once done, you should get $3500 plus.

Though it would be good to fix the running board if you haven't already. $20 at a wrecking yard.
Damn you're good, I completely missed the trashed passenger running board.

Potential buyer won't though.

So you are selling a truck with a known bad engine but describe it as being in "great condition"

That makes you a scammer IMO

It is a bad time to try and sell a used car. People spend there money on the Holidays for gifts and such. Also end of year savings on new cars. And I see a lot of Explorers that have been on craigslist for quite a while.

Just an old mans opinion which don't mean much.

Happy Thanksgiving

Bob T
:usa:

From your ad on craigslist

" -There is a rattle while the engine is running. Possibly a heat shield or something, I don't know."

You do know it is a timing chain rattle. You know that but are lying about it.

https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5317855658.html
:thumbsup::eek::thumbsup: " Do unto others BEFORE they do unto you " ??? Seriously you KNOW what the problem is don't pass it onto someone else that might not know about the issues with these

You have no idea it's a timing chain. Neither do I.
We can make an assumption because it's a common problem but i've been under the car and It only rattle at start up when
its cold and I've read that could also be a tranny filter needing replaced, I've already read the rattle CAN be a heat shield or a piece of
metal from an 02 sensor, So calling me a scam and saying i'm
selling a bad motor isn't true. It's a motor with 231k miles with an unknown rattle. Plain and simple that's the cold hard truth.
You and I both can think it's this or that, But neither know for sure. It hasn't been taken apart or inspected to confirm.

It does run great. Runs great, smooth, shifts smooth and I'd drive this car 1,000 miles
without hesitating one minute. I've had other 3rd gen explorers that have all the common tranny problems etc... this one doesnt. and those sold for a lot more....
I daily drive it and will continue if it doesn't sell.
I'm not scamming anyone, I've shown the car to a few and let them hear the rattle and make a decision for themselves
after telling them the possibilities (Yes, Including a timing chain). But you don't see any of that because it's not online.

I'm not selling a bad motor. I'm selling a suv with a running (Yes, GREAT running engine with a rattle) explorer for the cost
of some explorers that have blown motors that don't run at all are listed for in middle tn.

Thanks for the troll as well, posting an additional one with a link to this thread calling me out as if I'm scamming someone.

I'm NOT selling this to get rid of it because of the rattle, that doesn't scare me at all.
I want one with a sunroof.
Anyone who comes and looks at the car is informed of the rattle, and what it could be.

But, all else aside thank you for looking out for potential buyers. It's saved me in the past so its fine.
But you should calm down because you have absolutely zero knowledge on what I have been telling those who come look
at the car.
Hell, if i was trying to scam someone I wouldn't tell them about ANY of the issues. But it's cool... Jump to assumptions and be the hero.

Yeah, I took it a little personal because I've always been upfront with everyone in life and I do unto others as I want done to me
but I can see from only looking at the ad and not knowing me or what I'm telling potential buyers that you can flip out.

I added the same rant just about on here onto my ad so you'll sleep better tonight.
-There is a rattle while the engine is running.
I had someone try calling me a scammer, because I didn't fully disclose on this rattle. He said it could be the timing chains.
Yes, This is true. However it could also NOT be the timing chains just as much. It could be anything.
This is a 231,000 mile motor with a rattle that I do not know for sure what it is. But it runs great. 100% Great and you'll see that when you come test drive the car. I take it personal because I'm very upfront and honest, Or else I wouldn't bother posting any of the issues...

Also, if it doesnt sell I'll try checking the timing tensioner before pulling the covers to check for slack and then
checking everything else to pintpoint the rattle. It's still not for sure the chains.
Outside of that I'll drive it until it explodes. 1 month, or 5 years from now whenever that is.
If the motor comes out, a lower mile one is going in with redone timing of course.

Hmmmm....some Pharisees in the bunch? Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Sold the explorer for 2200. Still a deal in my opinion, and I told him the sound was probably the timing chain.
"Motors are 800 online, 100 at pull a part" was the response I got.

I have my eye on an 05 Eddie Bauer Edition since it has the Sunroof, V8 and fully loaded.
If I buy it i'll be back, for now I'll drive my f150.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you and the buyer both made a perfect match!

Hope you can find a decent deal on the one you're looking for.

Back