2016 Explorer LED Fog Lights option?? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer LED Fog Lights option??

I am interested in obtaining the factory Ford LED lamps as well. Has anyone been able to find part numbers for just the bulbs and determine if it is just plug and play or required to replace the entire assembly....

It's an assembly. Not just a bulb.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford%20LED%20Foglight%20SC_zpsicwjy7w1.jpg

I'm going to try this LED fog light mod soon. I hate the color mismatch.

576 for the light assembly - is that a list price or a real counter price.

wow.

576 for the light assembly - is that a list price or a real counter price.

wow.

Counter price is probably $1,152 plus tax.:) Just buy the LED bulbs. I just ordered mine. Heck, for $36 bucks it worth a shot.

I ordered these:
JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright Max 50W

Will get them tomorrow and check out how they turn out!

Dutchman71: Looks a lot better than the yellow ones!! :)

Thank you, Britta. Great recommendation. I ordered these on Tuesday Oct. 13th and they arrived on Sunday (since when did mail/packages get delivered on a Sunday??) October 18th. I popped them in during half time of the Bears game. Super easy to do. Much better color match to the LED/HID headlights. Very happy with the results. $36.50 vs $150 for the Ford LED option. This is a no-brainer.

Those are the list prices right off of FordParts.com. Discounts are deep if you have someone who can get money off. Ford OEM HIDs for my truck at list are roughly 250% more compared to my pricing lol.

Very happy with the results. $36.50 vs $150 for the Ford LED option. This is a no-brainer.

None the less it won't be $150 if you need to add them after the fact.

I bought some LED replacement bulbs for the time being. I'd like to look at the LED lights before dropping serious coin on them. :thumbsup:

So I swapped the bulbs with the "JDM Star" ones from Amazon posted in this thread. Color looks good, not a perfect match, but much better. Light output is probably around the same as the OEM halogen. OEM LED foglamps are much brighter though that's for sure. The light is much fuller. For the time this will be okay.

I did notice something while installing the bulbs. What is this part in the red square? I thought it might be an adjustment for the foglamp but it didn't seem to change anything. You can visibly see the reflector move in the housing when you turn it. You can twist it and move it but it doesn't come out. Possibly a vent? The way the reflector moved and how it 'latched' when you screwed it back in makes me think otherwise. I couldn't really see much with the wheel on so that's why I'm questioning it. Anyone know?

Foglight_zps8mms1pxk.jpg

So I swapped the bulbs with the "JDM Star" ones from Amazon posted in this thread. Color looks good, not a perfect match, but much better. Light output is probably around the same as the OEM halogen. OEM LED foglamps are much brighter though that's for sure. The light is much fuller. For the time this will be okay.

I did notice something while installing the bulbs. What is this part in the red square? I thought it might be an adjustment for the foglamp but it didn't seem to change anything. You can visibly see the reflector move in the housing when you turn it. You can twist it and move it but it doesn't come out. Possibly a vent? The way the reflector moved and how it 'latched' when you screwed it back in makes me think otherwise. I couldn't really see much with the wheel on so that's why I'm questioning it. Anyone know?
From what you have posted, it sounds like an adjustment for the fog light. If the reflector moves, so will the focal point.

Peter

From what you have posted, it sounds like an adjustment for the fog light. If the reflector moves, so will the focal point.

Peter

It was more so like it moved and then was secured by tightening it again. I messed with it and never saw any adjustment change. So I'm not really sure.

it would be nice to see a side by side comparison of two vehicles. One with the JDM bulb and the other with the factory LED Fogs.

it would be nice to see a side by side comparison of two vehicles. One with the JDM bulb and the other with the factory LED Fogs.

Maybe. The color match is very-very good. Wouldn't expect to see any/much difference with OE LEDs. About the only difference might be the actual light pattern and spread, due to the different housing, but even that, I'd not expect much difference.

The LED bulb swap on the standard fog lights is SUPER easy, and a GREAT improvement.

Can the factory led fog assembly be ordered from the parts dept and installed after the fact or is it different wiring?

Can the factory led fog assembly be ordered from the parts dept and installed after the fact or is it different wiring?
It can likely be ordered. It shows on fordparts.com as costing $668.32 each with the module.

Peter

The wiring diagram doesn't specify a different connector for halogen or LED lighting. Shows the same one.

I have a 2016 XLT, I too did not like the yellow fog lights. As others have stated, they are halogens but appear yellow against the factory LED headlights. I bought the JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright Max 50W High Power H10 9145 LED Bulbs for DRL or Fog Lights, Xenon White from Amazon for $30 a pair. I put them in and they look a lot better, they are very white and match the head lights. I am disappointed that they are not as bright as the factory halogens. I had hoped there was an option out there that would give me white light, and the same if not more power than the factory bulbs, without going to an HID. Only option I can think of is Sylvania Silver Stars, don't know if they will be as white as the halogens and I don't think they last as long. I hope this helps others looking for a solution to the yellow fog lights.

Keep in mind that Silver Stars tend to have short use lifespan

For an update I contacted JDM ASAR, they were very helpful, I told them I liked the fog lights but wished they were as bright or brighter than the factory sylvania bulbs.
They suggested these bulbs:
http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Gen...=1448040070&sr=1-2&keywords=jdm+astar+h10+7th
It is a headlight type LED light. They cost about $100 so three times what the other JDM a stars, I will currently stick with the 50watt JDM astars for now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered these:
JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright Max 50W

Will get them tomorrow and check out how they turn out!

Dutchman71: Looks a lot better than the yellow ones!! :)

Thanks Britta-S for the LED Fog lamp suggestion. I finally got around to installing these JDM-ASTER lamps and they look great. I hated the amber look with the factory lamps. Have you had any issues with the new lamps since you have installed them? They seem to be pretty well made and really a breeze to swap out.

Here is a pic

IMG_0265.jpg

Back