What is everyone paying for their 16 Explorer's? I just put a deposit down. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is everyone paying for their 16 Explorer's? I just put a deposit down.

I was told that they can not lock in the rebates. I was told that you have to take delivery of the vehicle within that time period. It is because they are trying to get vehicles off of the lots so those are the ones the incentives are for. I asked my dealer if I could pay for the thing 2 days before it showed up just to lock in the incentives and he said we couldn't do that. Anyway, I might be able to get it cheaper from the super high pressure dealerships near by that have been hounding me, but they would have to locate one with the options I want and do a dealer trade. I think I would rather spend $500 more for the one that will only be driven by us and to work with this salesman who puts 0 pressure on us and keeps ordering the configuration we want without requiring anything from us. He has been great, so I guess I'll just have to be okay with paying a little more. Besides, the high pressure guys that claimed they would match the price I could have gotten on the one in June when incentives were better are probably full of crap and will have some extra fee on it when it shows up. I also have to commit to buy for them to do the dealer trade.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am thinking about waiting till the new 2017's get released in June to make the X-Sport purchase so we can get the new Sync3 package. It really is a night and day difference, drove the new GT & Expedition and it is perfect.

I am thinking about waiting till the new 2017's get released in June to make the X-Sport purchase so we can get the new Sync3 package. It really is a night and day difference, drove the new GT & Expedition and it is perfect.

There is nothing wrong with MFT. It looks better than sync3 and works flawlessly for me on my iPhone. Tbh, I do not understand this misconception about MFT. I love the quadrant design. The Chrysler and GM systems are horrible in comparison IMO and sync3 looks generic to me.

We can't wait. Our 2002's trans is on its way out. I kind of wanted the new best thing, but we really won't use it that much and MFT is so much more than what any of our vehicles has now. I really just need a volume knob and FM preset buttons and I'm good. LOL We drove our friends out to the coast in our 2002 last month and they were laughing at us for listening to a CD. The new MFT with the buttons for the heating and AC seems pretty good, and I do like how it looks in the car. If I new we could get a gray interior instead of such a dark interior, then I might try to wait but I really like the way the Magnetic with ebony interior and red stitching looks.

I just looked at True Car. For my zip, it is only showing $3k under MSRP, and that includes the $500 rebate. I think this is exactly what X-plan is, which is also what they were doing last month for everyone with the Friends and Family. I can't believe the incentives were better back in June when we drove the 1st one to hit our dealer's lot. He would not budge on X-plan, so we said we'd wait for better incentives. Well, they are worse now. He ordered another one for us at that point and it showed up 2 days after a $750 incentive on top of the $500 expired. That one really upset me. I even called Ford and they said they could not extend it 2 days, so we passed on that one and he ordered another. At least this one has the LED Fogs, but I think we'll be stuck paying $50k out the door now and the first one would have been $45k. I can't go over $49,999.99! Wish me luck!

They matched my TrueCar certificate. MSRP according to my built is 49,045. Truecar discount which included current rebate of 4,693. Total is 44,352 + tax and registration. Its white color, 401A package, LED fog lamps.

Dealer told me that they will call me on Friday if they found the same match. They told me that even if they find the same color and option packages. What ever additional options the car might have, manager told me that the cost is on them. If they will not find a car by the end of the week, they will order one from the factory and will take almost 2 month.

True car from 3 other dealerships here in NY only gave me a 2,250 discount so I did not bother when I saw Dana's discount. I was surprised that most of the Sport versions did not have 401A package as that includes so many features.

Dana is a rip off ... They were going to charge me much more for my sport.... But I did enjoy their test drive on the highway...

All dealerships are like that. I was listing to their best offers, first $500 rebate, then another $500. I asked them if they are participating in Truecar. They said yes. Will you honor the TrueCar discount. They said yes, but show us the certificate. I showed them a discount and they said Ok. It seemed to be below invoice and he went to his manager but honored the certificate.

I was told that they can not lock in the rebates. I was told that you have to take delivery of the vehicle within that time period. It is because they are trying to get vehicles off of the lots so those are the ones the incentives are for. I asked my dealer if I could pay for the thing 2 days before it showed up just to lock in the incentives and he said we couldn't do that. Anyway, I might be able to get it cheaper from the super high pressure dealerships near by that have been hounding me, but they would have to locate one with the options I want and do a dealer trade. I think I would rather spend $500 more for the one that will only be driven by us and to work with this salesman who puts 0 pressure on us and keeps ordering the configuration we want without requiring anything from us. He has been great, so I guess I'll just have to be okay with paying a little more. Besides, the high pressure guys that claimed they would match the price I could have gotten on the one in June when incentives were better are probably full of crap and will have some extra fee on it when it shows up. I also have to commit to buy for them to do the dealer trade.

Dealer trade is good if they can find you the vehicle with options that you want. They will also order one from factory and truecar certificate will be valid when they deliver you the car. Your discounts will be saved. Just go to truecar.com, enter vehicle information, your ZIP and see what you get. Even if they don't have that specific vehicle in stock, color or options, they will still honor the discount. The good thing is the destination fee and documentation fee of 75 was all included and stated clearly on the certificate. Its pretty cool. You don't need to go through all of the hustle of negotiations and all.

I just looked at True Car. For my zip, it is only showing $3k under MSRP, and that includes the $500 rebate. I think this is exactly what X-plan is, which is also what they were doing last month for everyone with the Friends and Family. I can't believe the incentives were better back in June when we drove the 1st one to hit our dealer's lot. He would not budge on X-plan, so we said we'd wait for better incentives. Well, they are worse now. He ordered another one for us at that point and it showed up 2 days after a $750 incentive on top of the $500 expired. That one really upset me. I even called Ford and they said they could not extend it 2 days, so we passed on that one and he ordered another. At least this one has the LED Fogs, but I think we'll be stuck paying $50k out the door now and the first one would have been $45k. I can't go over $49,999.99! Wish me luck!

I did not read your post before posting on the replies. It looks like every state has different Truecar discounts. I heard of people negotiating after the truecar discount, but going for 8% off from MSRP is a good deal for both parties.

I'll probably just get stuck with X-plan minus the $500 incentive. We have to buy this one. The dealer just told me that it is getting unloaded from the rail car now. I asked him if I could get a discount if I go to Benicia and unload it and drive it to the dealership for him. LOL. Anyway, we have been seriously looking since June. I just need to buy this thing and move on and stop spending so much energy trying to avoid spending the money. We need the car and this is the one we both want. We almost picked up a Magnetic 2015 with the same options at this dealer but then I saw the pics of the 2016 and had to wait. They ordered the color and options we wanted which showed up in June but we freaked out at the total cost. The only new car I ever bought was my 1998 Ranger 4wd for $22k out the door. Here is the really sad part. This thing will be $50k out the door after our nearly 9% sales tax and high CA registration. My other 3 vehicles that we currently own were bought with that much money all together!!
1993 Mustang in 95 with 9k miles on it for 14k.
2002 Explorer in 05 with 15k miles for 18k.
2006 Ram in 08 with 2k miles for 18k.
I got good deals on the 02 Ex and 06 Ram, so I guess I can pay too much for this one...
This better be one hell of a vehicle since it cost as much as our other 3 put together!!
Now I have to figure out what to do with our 02. It is falling apart but I can't give it to the dealer for $1850! The leather interior still looks great and you can't do this in a new Explorer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTErYVDYMr0

Thanks for the info!! I will show him the True car and see if he'll match it if X is higher. The only TrueCar dealers are a ways away from me.

There is nothing wrong with MFT. It looks better than sync3 and works flawlessly for me on my iPhone. Tbh, I do not understand this misconception about MFT. I love the quadrant design. The Chrysler and GM systems are horrible in comparison IMO and sync3 looks generic to me.

+1, first time using MFT and I actually like the 4 quadrants.
One touch gets me to the exact feature and function right away.

I just got another email from Ford showing all the great incentives on everything EXCEPT the Explorer. This is killing me! I know the damn incentives will improve right after I drive ours off the lot. My timing sucks! I even see 7k off of F150's.

I just got another email from Ford showing all the great incentives on everything EXCEPT the Explorer. This is killing me! I know the damn incentives will improve right after I drive ours off the lot. My timing sucks! I even see 7k off of F150's.

Aim for 10% off MSRP and don't settle for anything less then 8%. F150 is not the same as XP because they are used for different purposes. F150 might be good if you are in a construction and XP is more of a family type of SUV but also for a nice comfortable ride if you are taller or heavier person and need that extra space. I test drove the Sport version 16 and I fell in love with it. I had a 2012 Edge Sport and currently my 2 year lease ends with 14 XLT Explorer.

One thing I can tell you is that 16 XP Sport and 14 XLT XP is night and day difference in regards to acceleration and lag. I am not sure if it due to turbos, stiffer suspension...but it felt like I was driving 16 Sport XP effortlessly. I am not even sure if my current 14 XLT Explorer has turbos, but wow, what a difference.

I test drove RX Lexus 16 F sport, I would not fit in it because the side seat bolsters were too tight and the seats were too small. The ceiling was too low as my head was almost banging on the sunroof. I test drove about 6 different brands of vehicles (don't want to go into details of each one because it would make a long post), but Ford Explorer Sport to me is the best bang for the buck, it is nice and comfortable and also fun to drive.

I am pretty pissed right now. The Ex is at the dealership and we are supposed to pick it up tomorrow, but he sent me the paperwork and the damn X-plan price has gone up $642 since June! I wish I could remember the MSRP. I think it may have gone up $600 also. I thought I remembered 48,200 and now it is 48,895. X-plan is 46,513. There is a $500 incentive so that gets it to 46,013. The one we almost bought in June was 45,944 with $1000 in incentives, so it was 44,995. I can't believe I am paying $1100 more at the end of the year than it would have cost if I bought the first 16 they got! We just can't wait anymore. I think I am stuck paying it. I am trying to get him to go down $600 to cover the increase in X-plan price. I figured I would only have to pay $500 more than in June since one of the $500 incentives is gone. I was NOT expecting the base price to increase. Truecar does show the invoice at $46,494which is almost exactly what the X-plan price is. Why are other states giving such better deals on these?

Yes they can lock in the rebates.... Ford has a program and there are 3 ways a dealer can lock them in. Again, this has to be a customer order you placed, not something that was already on order.

Here is the 2013 Protection Guide.. I don't have the current one but under the "important details" it tells the dealer what to do and those haven't changed.

This program has been going on since at least 2010... your dealer is either lying to you or really uneducated about the basics of selling a vehicle. Either way, it is not a dealer I would not want to do business with.

IncentiveProtection_000001_zps24ed866f.jpg

Well - the wife and I pulled the trigger and we are the proud owners of a new 2016 Explorer Sport

Sticker was $50,500. Their first offer was $46,500 + taxes and fees, then $45,795 + taxes and fees, finally ending at $45,500.30 - all taxes, fees and dealer crap included

magnetic gray
401a
x-bars
all-weather mats (may still do weathertechs)
led fogs
dual panel moon roof
rear bumper protector
front/rear splash guards

Traded in the wife's 2003 Jeep Liberty LTD which had 103k miles on it and was in excellent condition

I could have done better selling the Jeep on our own, but didn't want to mess with it.

What state are you in? That is unbelievable. These guys won't go under X-plan out here. With X, mine is $50600 out the door with all fees. Our tax rate is almost 9% and DMV is $500. This is without a moonroof too.
So you got 10% off and all fees included, which would be another 10% if your fees were the same as ours. That is a crazy discount!! What the hell is "invoice?" How much does the dealer make if they sell for invoice?

The final price included my trade. I don't recall the inv price. I think even with the trade, I could have gotten another $500 off as I had another dealer offering the same vehicle w/the adaptive cruise for a little over $46k all-in, but my wife (its her car) wasn't interested and it left us the cash for plates/registration which is est at just under $1k here in Colorado.

Well - the wife and I pulled the trigger and we are the proud owners of a new 2016 Explorer Sport

Sticker was $50,500. Their first offer was $46,500 + taxes and fees, then $45,795 + taxes and fees, finally ending at $45,500.30 - all taxes, fees and dealer crap included

magnetic gray
401a
x-bars
all-weather mats (may still do weathertechs)
led fogs
dual panel moon roof
rear bumper protector
front/rear splash guards

Traded in the wife's 2003 Jeep Liberty LTD which had 103k miles on it and was in excellent condition

I could have done better selling the Jeep on our own, but didn't want to mess with it.
Congratulations and welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Now all that there is left to do is to replace the Jeep in your profile with the 2016 Sport. :):thumbsup:

Peter

The final price included my trade. I don't recall the inv price. I think even with the trade, I could have gotten another $500 off as I had another dealer offering the same vehicle w/the adaptive cruise for a little over $46k all-in, but my wife (its her car) wasn't interested and it left us the cash for plates/registration which is est at just under $1k here in Colorado.

They probably gave at least 2-3K for your jeep in a trade, even if it is more then 10 years old. I remember before I leased my 14 Explorer, I had a 1998 Lexus GS 300 with 178K miles on it. Dealership said that even though the car was over 10 years old and with such a big millage, they would still take it if I lease a vehicle and give me 3K or 3.5K so that I don't have to put any money down on the lease.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By the way, is there any difference for a $150 option of factory LED fog lamps versus buying and installing them from Amazon or Ebay? I am not sure why Ford did not include LED fog lamps from the beginning when 16 XP's came out. I have always been kind of disapoited that my 12 Edge Sport did not come with Headlamps LED at all and 14XP XLT had yellowish head lamps and even more yellowish fog lamps. During 13/14 many of the car manufactures had already adopted LED's as either a standard or an option.

Back