Paint bubbling on 2014 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paint bubbling on 2014 Explorer

My 2014 Ford Explorer is less than 2 years old and the hood has paint that has bubbled and is chipping away. Because the mileage is just shy of 40,000 when I took it in to the dealer, it is out of warranty. The dealer feels the hood should be replaced, but Ford told the dealer that they would not cover it. So I called Ford Customer Service. They said that they would do something, but waiting to find out what is meant by something. This problem was not caused by mileage. Will let you know what Ford's response is when I get it.
Is anyone else having trouble with their paint in a short period of time? Kodiak Brown is the color of my Explorer.
If I figure out how to insert pictures from my computer I will put them up for you to see the two areas.
Art

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the heads up on this. Just bought a used '14 Explorer XLT for my wife and noticed the paint bubbling under the front lip of the hood. I don't have this on my F150 but will keep an eye on it.

Thankfully we are still under the 3/36 and have an appointment to get the remote start keys cut/programmed this week. I'll have them check it out then.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the heads up on this. Just bought a used '14 Explorer XLT for my wife and noticed the paint bubbling under the front lip of the hood. I don't have this on my F150 but will keep an eye on it.

Thankfully we are still under the 3/36 and have an appointment to get the remote start keys cut/programmed this week. I'll have them check it out then.

The underside of my hood was bubbled. Did not find that, because I was looking for anything until it appear on the top side edge.

No, I did not take any on the underside. But the bubbling looked like the bubbling on the outside edge. It just had not chipped away. Never figured out how to post the two pictures that I have on this site.

I find it odd that the hoods of the Explorers are doing this, GM has been making the Acadia, Enclave, Traverse, and Outlook since 2007, and I have NEVER seen one with a bubbling hood. The hoods on those are all Aluminum, I am wondering if it has something to do with how it was painted, or the prep, sort of weird. The only reason I bring this up is because it is the main competitor to the Explorer, and has sold I am sure just as many units.

I find it odd that the hoods of the Explorers are doing this, GM has been making the Acadia, Enclave, Traverse, and Outlook since 2007, and I have NEVER seen one with a bubbling hood. The hoods on those are all Aluminum, I am wondering if it has something to do with how it was painted, or the prep, sort of weird. The only reason I bring this up is because it is the main competitor to the Explorer, and has sold I am sure just as many units.

It could also be quality of paint.

2014 Explorer Limited

I'm looking to purchase a 2014 Explorer Limited with the known paint bubble issue on/under the hood. The owner has written verification that Ford will rectify (my words) the problem, but unknown what they will actually do. The owner has the letter and received it prior to the vehicle hitting 36,000 mi. It now has 37,000.

I'm going to assume the correct approach would be to let the current owner complete the repair with Ford and then purchase the vehicle.

My question: Is there a warranty on the work completed and is it transferable to me, the new owner?

I did see a Ford Rep as part of this forum, so perhaps Tricia can comment on this, too, because I certainly want to do this purchase right with warranty in place in case they don't replace the hood and the problem returns.

Also, any comments on the liftgate as having this same issue?

Ethics05 asked: Is there a warranty on the work completed and is it transferable to me, the new owner?

I can not answer what your dealer will do or honor. My dealer said that they would warranty the hood for the life of the vehicle. I have not seen any problems with the lift gate.

Any Luck?

After numerous issues with my explorer, I just noticed the bubbling paint on my hood. Has anyone had any luck getting this fixed beyond the 3 yr. warranty? I'm just short of 60k miles and have the extended warranty.

Not I, was under 24 months, but over 36,000 miles by about 4,000 miles. Good luck.

My 2014 Ford Explorer is less than 2 years old and the hood has paint that has bubbled and is chipping away. Because the mileage is just shy of 40,000 when I took it in to the dealer, it is out of warranty. The dealer feels the hood should be replaced, but Ford told the dealer that they would not cover it. So I called Ford Customer Service. They said that they would do something, but waiting to find out what is meant by something. This problem was not caused by mileage. Will let you know what Ford's response is when I get it.
Is anyone else having trouble with their paint in a short period of time? Kodiak Brown is the color of my Explorer.
If I figure out how to insert pictures from my computer I will put them up for you to see the two areas.
Art

Art
It could also be quality of paint.

Art

How do I join class action suit?
I agree this is bullshit!
I will never buy another ford if they don’t take care of this issue.

Back