Oil Change interval | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

Good info, thx. looking forward to my first oil change. I rotate my tires and change the oil every 5,000. The manual says 7,500 to change the oil. Whats your opinion on that? Personally I think its to long.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good info, thx. looking forward to my first oil change. I rotate my tires and change the oil every 5,000. The manual says 7,500 to change the oil. Whats your opinion on that? Personally I think its to long.
I haven't seen that 7500 mile figure. Could have missed it.

From the Manual;

Your vehicle is equipped with the Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor system, which
displays a message in the information display at the proper oil change interval.
This interval may be up to one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers).

If your information display resets prematurely or becomes inoperative, you
should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5000 miles (8000
kilometers) from your last oil change. Never exceed one year or 10000 miles
(16000 kilometers) between oil change intervals.

There is already a 20 page thread on Oil Change Interval; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309598&highlight=oil+change+interval

Peter

Our new Sport (2016) has a recommended change interval of 7500 under normal driving conditions. But I'm with you johnnnyo, I think that I'll settle for 5000 intervals.

I wonder why the first oil change is no longer recommended at ~1000 mark and "break-in" isnt mentioned at all on the new vehicles?

Our new Sport (2016) has a recommended change interval of 7500 under normal driving conditions. But I'm with you johnnnyo, I think that I'll settle for 5000 intervals.

I wonder why the first oil change is no longer recommended at ~1000 mark and "break-in" isnt mentioned at all on the new vehicles?
From the manual;

Calculating Fuel Economy
Do not measure fuel economy during the first 1,000 mi (1,600 km) of driving (this is your engine’s break-in period). A more accurate measurement is obtained after 2,000 mi (3,200 km) to 3,000 mi (4,800 km).

I'd appreciate it if you could point me to where the 7500 mile change is recommended in the manual. I did a 'Search' on 7500 figure and it came up with 7500-10000 miles as to "When to expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message". This doesn't say that it should be changed at 7500 but only when to expect when the 'Message' might appear. It could come on anything within that 2500 mile range under normal driving.

Peter

I don't have the manual on hand right now but what is the purpose of the "OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message at 7500-10000? Kinda insinuatest when you should change your oil. Maybe someone with their manual can point it out.

Found it.
From the manual.
"When the oil change message appears in the information display, it is time for an oil change. Make sure you perform the oil change within two weeks or 500 miles (800 kilometers) of the message appearing. Make sure you reset the Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor after each oil change. If your information display resets prematurely or becomes inoperative, you should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5000 miles (8000 kilometers) from your last oil change. Never exceed one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers) between oil change intervals.

When to expect the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message, Interval Vehicle use and example,
Normal
7500-10000 miles (12000-16000 km)
Normal commuting with highway driving
No, or moderate, load or towing
Flat to moderately hilly roads
No extended idling
Severe
5000-7499 miles
(8000-11999 km)
Moderate to heavy load or towing
Mountainous or off-road conditions
Extended idling
Extended hot or cold operation
Extreme
3000-4999 miles
(4800-7999 km) Maximum load or towing
Extreme hot or cold operation".

I don't have the manual on hand right now but what is the purpose of the "OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message at 7500-10000? Kinda insinuatest when you should change your oil. Maybe someone with their manual can point it out.
The purpose is to let you know when to expect the message to appear. That is all. Some, depending upon their driving, may have it come on earlier. It isn't a recommendation to change it at 7500 miles. As you can see, the Manual shows 3 different conditions so the mileage for oil changes varies depending on which category a driver falls under.

Prior to my last oil change the IOLM read 40% and that was with having driven less than 2000 miles. That is why I follow a 6 month interval instead of going by the mileage. I would come closest to the 'Normal' driving category.

Peter

My only point is the oil life monitoring system is about as good as my alarm clock. Or a sticker on my window saying what mileage to change at next.

It would be nice if actually used any calculation besides mileage... but when it warns me at *exactly* 6000 miles after last oil change... I cannot trust that it was analyzing anything.

My only point is the oil life monitoring system is about as good as my alarm clock. Or a sticker on my window saying what mileage to change at next.

It would be nice if actually used any calculation besides mileage... but when it warns me at *exactly* 6000 miles after last oil change... I cannot trust that it was analyzing anything.

Mine warns me at 9.5k. 3 times in the 30k miles that we've had ours. It's based on our driving habits and the 10k limit. As blwnsmoke stated you're getting the warning due to time not mileage. Statistically speaking it can happen near a thousands number. The odds are much lower now to happen again near 6k but we'll have to wait another 11-12 months to find out. But it is still possible, statistically speaking.

Considering the standard Oil change is 10,000 mile intervals with the oil life monitor, if it is telling you to change at 6,000 then clearly it is using more then just mileage.

First you say "nearly 6,000", then you say "exactly 6,000" miles. That is a big difference when looking at your arguement. On top of that, I had stated before the oil life monitor tells you to change it when you hit 10% life left. So if it was nearly or exactly 6,000 miles then you have nearly or exactly 6,600 mile Oil change interval, not nearly or exactly 6,000 miles which sounds so suspect to you.

You can also look at your % remaining in the left MFT screen of your instrument cluster.

It would be nice if actually used any calculation besides mileage... .
It doesn't use strictly mileage as a calculator.
Electronic sensors throughout the drivetrain send information about engine revolutions, temperature and driving time to the car's computer. The data is run through a mathematical algorithm that predicts when the oil will begin to degrade. The light comes on well in advance, giving the owner time to get the car serviced.
Using all those calculations and taking into account that the majority of my driving consists of very short trips is why at roughly 2000 miles my IOLM reading showed 40%.

Peter

yes, its not statistically impossible, but certainly statistically suspicious. the notification came up the next time I started my car past the 6000 mile mark since the last change. i think it was at 6002 at that point. the oil life said it was at 5% when i investigated the notification.

even if its just a coincidence-- if it doesn't actually analyze the oil or how parts are functioning... these calculations are made based on standard 10w30 oil, correct?

well, i'm using a fully synthetic, extended life, 10w20 oil. so... is there any reason for me to trust the computer or go by what its telling me?

If you follow the oil change monitor, and the engine fails outside of the factory, warranty, what are the chances that Ford is going to replace the engine? I would rather spend double the money by changing every 5000 miles, than gamble that a 10,000 mile interval is going to be safe for the engine. My car is an Ecoboost engine, and I am not certain that I even want to own a twin turbo engine out of warranty. Too many expensive parts that are oil dependent, that can fail, and be very expensive to repair.

JC already, the oil life monitor uses a algorithm to CAREFULLY calculate when to change the oil. Most people who think they fall under normal driving conditions are actually under severe. Short trips with low mileage is severe, not normal. We leave the Midwest for the winter and drive 1600 miles to a cold winter destination, stay for 4 1/2 months and drive home in the spring. My 2014 EX will have 7000 miles on it and the OLM will still be at 20% when we get home. 3500 of those miles will be over the course of the drive out and drive home at 75 mph with the engine stopping only for filling up.

Keep in mind that modern engines with six speed (and higher) transmission run at lower RPM's and due to the transmissions the engine are not working nearly as hard. AT 80 MPH our EX is under 2500 RPM's. Modern oil's the latest classification is SN, are far superior to oil's from just 15 years ago. Add synthetic that flows at low temps and you have a trifecta of bonuses. Additionally OHC engines can handle stress so much better than our dad's push rod engines.

As a general matter engines today routinely go 200,000 miles or more and are running strong. The number of people on this forum who have had internal engine problems are just a handful.

If you think that changing your oil at 3000 miles is the thing to do go ahead and waste your money. Don't believe me, Google "Consumers Reports New York Taxi oil test. Their conclusion is there is no reason to change oil before the Mfg recommendation.

yes, its not statistically impossible, but certainly statistically suspicious. the notification came up the next time I started my car past the 6000 mile mark since the last change. i think it was at 6002 at that point. the oil life said it was at 5% when i investigated the notification.

even if its just a coincidence-- if it doesn't actually analyze the oil or how parts are functioning... these calculations are made based on standard 10w30 oil, correct?

well, i'm using a fully synthetic, extended life, 10w20 oil. so... is there any reason for me to trust the computer or go by what its telling me?

little column A, little column B

yes the algorithm used in the computer counts down time based on the way the car is operated, the conditions around it etc. It is however validated by engine test stands and mule cars using Ford spec Oil and Filter - so motorcraft 5-20 (or 5-30 depending on the device) and motorcraft filter.

So if you are using liquid unobtainium for oil then no the monitor cycle isn't exactly valid for your products. but realistically there isn't an oil out there that lives forever or doesn't allow wear, etc etc.

now here's the other bit though - it's not so much about the oil as it is about getting the filter out of there. yes the oil wears out to a degree, and the thinner the oil the more wear on the engine you could get. But there's a filter in there that while it might have a bypass valve - it is still gradually getting clogged up. And when it bypasses it might as well not be there. So it's a great indicator that you really need to pull the filter out.

I haven't come up with an average on our new explorer but on my other 2 cars I pull the oil filter around 5500 or so miles, and I change the oil about once per year. so it comes out to approximately 5500 miles for filter replacement and about 11-13K for full oil change and filter.

So even if you spend alot of money on expensive and potentially quality oil - and even if you spend alot of money on expensive and potentially quality oil filters. that filter should probably come out just to ensure filtering, and good oil flow rate.

I love oil threads.
As an active participant in several different vehicle forums, the oil threads are always similar to a political or religious conversation.

It would be nice to see all of the variables in the algorithm and how they're calculated but I'm sure that Ford has used ample research and oil analysis to come up with the x-factor.

My owner advantage showed a free oil change for me so today the Sport went in for its first change at 4034 miles. The next one is planned for +5K.

I really have to say that I'm quite amused by this kind of topic for many of the reasons expressed. I take no advice from them as I really have no question I, myself, haven't answered or the many experiences I've witnessed on this subject over many years.

When I was working, I changed my oil according to a set mileage determined by me along with whatever maintenance that was involved. Now that I'm retired and drive less, my oil change intervals have also changed to time based for the most part and mileage, not exceeding 5k when warranted.

The bottom line in this kind of subject is, no amount of advice or same advice is the same for everyone. It is completely subjective. The kind of oil and filter used is just as subjective. In all my years in the business, I've never run across an oil related failure that wasn't caused by human abuse. The so called 'empirical' studies done on oil are merely fancy advertising to sell a product. No one will ever come across a situation that will cause an oil related failure seen in these test unless you never change the oil. I know, that's my opinion which only proves what a subjective subject this is. :salute:

The bottom line in this kind of subject is, no amount of advice or same advice is the same for everyone. It is completely subjective. The kind of oil and filter used is just as subjective. In all my years in the business, I've never run across an oil related failure that wasn't caused by human abuse. The so called 'empirical' studies done on oil are merely fancy advertising to sell a product. No one will ever come across a situation that will cause an oil related failure seen in these test unless you never change the oil. I know, that's my opinion which only proves what a subjective subject this is. :salute:

It is not subjective if you take an oil sample during your changes and send it to a lab like I have done. Taking samples and having them analyzed is the only thing that is not subjective and tells you the facts on how the oil is. When you have a test done at whatever miles and everything comes out great and they tell you based on everything that you can even go longer, that is scientific evidence and proof of the Engine Oil Life Monitor function correctly and advising the owner the correct information.

As stated above, oil change intervals are just like politics but facts are facts and as I stated earlier, the only factual information that can be given is if you have your oil tested through a company like Blackstone.

Well worth the $20 to know what's going on... especially for those people who are so concerned that going over the old "3,000" mile changes or when every dealership now puts on 5,000 mile changes on the corner of your windshield because they want the extra money.

by similar tokens.

you should wash your car weekly. outside, inside, and complete undercarriage washing.

you should always fill up your tank at 1/2 empty or every 2 weeks which ever occurs first.

and I'm sure there are other semi-scientific methods of MX items that should be done regularly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is not subjective if you take an oil sample during your changes and send it to a lab like I have done. Taking samples and having them analyzed is the only thing that is not subjective and tells you the facts on how the oil is. When you have a test done at whatever miles and everything comes out great and they tell you based on everything that you can even go longer, that is scientific evidence and proof of the Engine Oil Life Monitor function correctly and advising the owner the correct information.

As stated above, oil change intervals are just like politics but facts are facts and as I stated earlier, the only factual information that can be given is if you have your oil tested through a company like Blackstone.

Well worth the $20 to know what's going on... especially for those people who are so concerned that going over the old "3,000" mile changes or when every dealership now puts on 5,000 mile changes on the corner of your windshield because they want the extra money.

You know, the last place I worked at sent oil in for analysis and we got back the results to determine oil change intervals for fleet service. It is invaluable info for...fleet service vehicles. It was used to help schedule maintenance intervals for our fleet. It's a good deal and is very accurate.

However, interjecting this type of 'service' into a thread like this is advice that will probably be ignored by the normal consumer but, none the less, it's good advice but, it's still subjective in the context of threads like these. Subjective as advice like any other advice given. Not the content or it's usefulness but, as advice.

As I said, I am quite familiar with the process but, find no need to use it because, IMO, it is more useful in a fleet service venue than it is in a normal, consumer venue. Do it if it gives you peace of mind. :salute:

Back