electrical problems have me ready to sell my 2011 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

electrical problems have me ready to sell my 2011

mfischer2

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Collins, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
2011 Explorer with only 38k miles

Starting a few months back I started having electrical problems. The car has completed died several times, once at work in another town. The symptom is that I get a bunch of faults and then all the displays go black. I've tried restarting the car to get it working and that usually works. However, the worse problem occurs when it then wont restart, I have no displays, no crank, nothing, although oddly things like the power windows will still work. I've had it towed twice. One dealer replaced the battery, the other dealer here in my town has just twice said "we cleared the low voltage codes and cannot find any issues". I'm fairly sure that there's a short somewhere, especially now that it's happening with a 2 month old battery in it. My local dealer seems clueless and unhelpful. They've had it for 3 days already now and still can't find an issue.

I am at a loss on this car. After the last time when I was out with my baby my wife won't let me take the kids in it anymore.

Has anyone had this issue? Any advice for dealing with a shop that appears unwilling or unable to fix this? Also since this started while under warranty, I think I'm entitled to have this fixed by Ford, is that correct?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has the mechanic verified that the ignition switch isn't bad? Or the starter connection isn't bad?

Has the mechanic verified that the ignition switch isn't bad? Or the starter connection isn't bad?

No, but I'm not sure that makes sense. When all the displays die while driving, would that have anything to do with either of those?

No, but I'm not sure that makes sense. When all the displays die while driving, would that have anything to do with either of those?

I apologize, I misinterpreted your problem. It appears that one of your symptoms is related to other's experiencing the instrument cluster going dark while driving--but others (as far as I can recall) don't have start/restart problems. Might want to read this post and see if this is a good place to start addressing the electrical problems.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393212

Good luck!

I was going to suggest replacing the battery - but they have already done that.

Have they tested the alternator and electrical connections?

If it was me, before I did anything radical, I would go buy a GOOD, after market battery, replace it and see what happens. Then I would make a decision based on those results.

2011 Explorer with only 38k miles

Starting a few months back I started having electrical problems. The car has completed died several times, once at work in another town. The symptom is that I get a bunch of faults and then all the displays go black. I've tried restarting the car to get it working and that usually works. However, the worse problem occurs when it then wont restart, I have no displays, no crank, nothing, although oddly things like the power windows will still work. I've had it towed twice. One dealer replaced the battery, the other dealer here in my town has just twice said "we cleared the low voltage codes and cannot find any issues"...

Send me your info in a PM, mfischer2; I'll escalate this up to your regional customer service manager. When writing, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll do the rest. :)

Crystal

If your local Dealer seems clueless and unhelpful as you say, your gut feeling may be true and it's time to find a different Dealer with a better staff of techs.....It sounds like a failing ECU to me....especially if the electrical power failure comes and goes.....best regards Plum

The problem has been solved. Thanks.

As a courtesy to those interested or that tried to help, could you share the solution? Follow ups are always appreciated. Thanks.

Having this same issue on my 2011 Explorer Limited, battery new, alternator checked out fine, no warning when it happens just lose power and everything shuts down. did have power steering recall done, anyone every find the answer?

cmon man...don't be shy now....lol

What was the fix?

You need to observe the date of his last post. Over a year ago. If I may, I'd like to suggest the problem was, the nut behind the wheel. After all, after all this time, seems as good an answer as you'll get to this point. :D :salute:

You need to observe the date of his last post. Over a year ago. If I may, I'd like to suggest the problem was, the nut behind the wheel. After all, after all this time, seems as good an answer as you'll get to this point. :D :salute:

Didn't even look at the date on his post. Thanks for that.

It is also very easy to go into a member' profile and see when they last logged in:

Become an Elite Explorer
Send Message User Lists
Last Activity: 08-12-2014 11:24 PM

Probably won't be getting a reply back.

Well I think I've figured out the issue, my 11 Explorer originally had a 650 cca battery and I upgraded to the Motorcraft Max "850 cca". But my old battery still holds a charge but is kind of on the weak side. Also when I ran the wipers I heard a squeak. Investigated and found out the "alternator belt" was slipping on the alternator, I assume it was not charging as proper as it should. Replaced that and now after 300 miles + , I see no problems of shutting off while driving. I will add a post if something else still happens.

I changed out the serpentine belt on my April, 2011 build last summer. Just preventative maintenance. It was a bit of a pain to do by myself, but it wasn't the worst job I've ever done on a car.

Back