Sync 3 | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3

George the new 16 Edge Sport is gorgeous, especially with the optional 21" flat black wheels. Only complaint is you cant get the Edge SPORT in Magnetic, that colour option only available in the other models.

SYNC3 is in the 16 Edge already as well.
As you can see from promo materials it's a very basic GUI.

Performance wise its fine, and in no way has the issues MFT had in its infancy. Its ready for public consumption I'm just disappointed that to have stability they had to dumb it down so much.......

I guess Im just over optimistic for the next gen Ford systems given the last few years of frustration. While MFT works well now, the guys on here who started in 2011 will agree it was a long journey.

Thanks Sarge! As you may recall I was one of the "old timers" here with the 2011 Limited. Love the car, HATED the MFT when I got it because of crashes, problems, etc. I can take a basic GUI etc if it works flawlessly. It looks like it does so far but this time I am moving slower than I did when the 2011 Explorer first came out which I had by May 2011 (still have). I want the bugs out first this time, been there done that. The GUI is not pretty but as long as it works well I am there.

I love the Explorer but I "think" I want something a little smaller. Love the Edge Sport look now, home run in my opinion. A little smaller than what I have now but similar cargo area. I actually rented one (2015 Edge SEL) on a trip I was on recently on to Florida to see if I liked the size. Seemed about perfect for my needs now. I can only assume I will like the Sport even more and being an ingot silver kinda guy I'm good!

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point Ford kicks the software up a notch on the GUI side with Sync3. Maybe once they know it is working well they will make some changes, background colors are kinda bland so I would like to see that configurable for instance. If the Apple interface works great it will be just what I need to top it off.

Thanks for the reply back Sarge!! (ps: my son is NYPD)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im hoping you're right about the future of SYNC3, that's why I'm holding out for 17.

Its the WiFi updating and future development you mentioned that made me hold off a 16.

Ingot Silver Edge Sport looks so good with those 21 inch black wheels, I'm trying to get the wife into one so I can have one of each. LOL!

PS: Thank your son for his service, NYPD has had a hard year and the guys do a great job in really difficult circumstances.

Is this true? Sync 3 will not available in Job 2 2016 Explorers? Ford, my Lease is up in 3 months and I can't....I refuse to get another Ford with MFT. If you can put Sync 3 into the Escape in 2015 then you surely could have put Sync 3 in the Explorer already. What are you waiting for? Some of that Carplay crap? You're actually putting me in a position to search other brands for the first time in 20 years.

Is this true? Sync 3 will not available in Job 2 2016 Explorers? Ford, my Lease is up in 3 months and I can't....I refuse to get another Ford with MFT. If you can put Sync 3 into the Escape in 2015 then you surely could have put Sync 3 in the Explorer already. What are you waiting for? Some of that Carplay crap? You're actually putting me in a position to search other brands for the first time in 20 years.

In three months the order banks open for 17model year and you can have SYNC3

No SYNC3 in 16 Explorer Job2

Probably SYNC3 is not that bad after all.
Just read review of Android Auto implementation in new Honda Accord, not so inspired so far...
Down to technology section.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...os-most-grown-up-application-yet/#ap-lightbox

My Sync2 works better than this.
And messing with the phone like that just for music is re-diculous.

Re the angle - amazes me that they dont see how the center stack display angle and any reflective trim near the driver is a problem.

Display idea-display now is beveled & should have a mellow swivel to the left, right, and center and click in place.
Also swivel slightly up & down?
Also-slightly bigger as a standard? Anything less than MFTs 8" is too small.
-Curved? Larger and curved but still needs to swivel over more.
Limited movement arc, but moves into perfect positions with dash opening planned out and worst glare from sun accounted for.

Once clicked to the right/passenger view, it should allow changes to locked-while-moving features.

Display should resize if it has less room due to angle or corners going behind dash opening.

We didnt Wait

I was really upset that Ford did not elect to include Sync 3 in the 16 Explorer. Especially since we were intent on buying the new Platinum.

That said, we decided that having Sync 3 was not really a big issue since most of what we were complaining about was available on smartphones, at least on the iPhone. We have since discovered that Siri works pretty well on the 2016 MFT package and even vocalizes text messages.

Now to the real reason not to wait. We now have about 2,000 miles on the new Platinum and it is In Every Way Far Superior to the 2011 Explorer we traded. Even things we never complained about works much, much better. We noticed the other day that the passenger hand grip above the door has a nice new touch. It doesn't bang shut but rather closed slowly but firmly. Just a small point but multiply that dozens of times and you'll discover a revolutionary new vehicle.

I wish Ford had taken a bolder step in updating the body design, and there are a few changes that bug us, like storage is not as good in the doors, the pockets on the back of the seats is only good for a skinny map or two and they're reduced the number of USB and accessory ports.

All in all we won't miss Sync 3 and meanwhile we have the enjoyment of a beautiful new vehicle.

I can see why you're frustrated but that is the way it is. I'm going to have my lease expire (Apr.1, 2017) between 2017 and 2018 models years. I don't know if the U.S. dealers work the same way as here but I can extend my current lease if I put in an order for a 2018. Check with your dealer and see if you can extend yours as well by ordering a 2017 at lease end.
BTW, Ford doesn't read the posts here.

Peter

.....I wish Ford had taken a bolder step in updating the body design,.......
2018 is reported to be a complete redesign.

Peter

2018 is reported to be a complete redesign.

Peter

Hopefully, Ford incorporates bigger gas tank and replaces 2.3EB with 2.7EB

What are you waiting for? Some of that Carplay crap?

Big deal, for a lot of buyers. That "CarPlay crap" opens up a lot of capability.

If you can put Sync 3 into the Escape in 2015 then you surely could have put Sync 3 in the Explorer already..

Most other models got SYNC 3 in 2015(model year 2016) as well. If SYNC3 was ready for the Explorer it would be there. In some models SYNC 3 was "dumbed down" to not include certain "features" so that model could get SYNC 3. Such as in the Focus, climate controls are not integrated.

Another one:
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...nk-for-app-developers-with-new-capabilit.html

Ford Enhances SYNC AppLink for App Developers with New Capabilities and Tools for In-Car Experience Innovation
•App developers will now be able to leverage Ford’s all-new SYNC® 3 technology to enhance the in-car user experience
•Ford now offers access to real-time vehicle information enabling creation of innovative app experiences
•New tools available for developers include a SYNC 3 technology development kit and vehicle data simulator software development kit – allowing testing and development without access to a vehicle

and one more, not about SYNC 3 in particular, but

Toyota has chosen a technology developed by Ford to allow consumers to access smartphone apps and features via their dashboard, eschewing similar technology offered by Apple and Google.
Ford's SmartDeviceLink (SDL) – an open source software – allows drivers to access smartphone apps via the dashboard touch screen or even voice control. Toyota will be adopting the feature for upcoming vehicles, Ford said in a statement ahead of the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas on Monday.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/05/toyota-snubs-apple-google-with-ford-tech-tie-up.html

In three months the order banks open for 17model year and you can have SYNC3

No SYNC3 in 16 Explorer Job2

I have a 2009 Grand Cherokee that me and my wife are considering upgrading to either a 2016 Grand Cherokee (when they arrive) or the 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum edition. All this talk about no SYNC 3 in the '16 Explorer... Is it worth waiting for the 2017 models? Any idea when the 2017 Explorer model will be announced/released?

I have a 2009 Grand Cherokee that me and my wife are considering upgrading to either a 2016 Grand Cherokee (when they arrive) or the 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum edition. All this talk about no SYNC 3 in the '16 Explorer... Is it worth waiting for the 2017 models? Any idea when the 2017 Explorer model will be announced/released?

That's up to you whether or not you want SYNC 2 or 3, some do, some dont care, its a personal choice.

2017 Explorer can be ordered in March, the builds usually start in June/July.

So you would see your 2017 Platinum at the end of summer or early fall.

I would say that is preference. I opted to get the '16 Platinum and don't have an issue with MFT. IMO it is how much you use all the features. For me, I have taken a long look at Sync 3 in an F150 and my MFT and I am rather partial to the 4 quadrants and the dark screen.

Go to the dealer and look at both. It should help you decide.

I would say that is preference. I opted to get the '16 Platinum and don't have an issue with MFT. IMO it is how much you use all the features. For me, I have taken a long look at Sync 3 in an F150 and my MFT and I am rather partial to the 4 quadrants and the dark screen.

Go to the dealer and look at both. It should help you decide.

Steve, I'm partial to the quad screen look and colors of MFT as well. Especially after getting accustomed to it for 3 years however its usability simply sucks. It's slow, laggy, buggy, and just plain unacceptable for the modern age of technology in 2016. Sure, if this were 2006 MFT would be a rock star but not in 2016.

Steve, I'm partial to the quad screen look and colors of MFT as well. Especially after getting accustomed to it for 3 years however its usability simply sucks. It's slow, laggy, buggy, and just plain unacceptable for the modern age of technology in 2016. Sure, if this were 2006 MFT would be a rock star but not in 2016.

I wont argue any of your points as you appear to have used MFT more than I. My comparison is with new model vehicles. I did not see that much of a difference between the two from being slow and laggy that would sway me either way. However, it does say something as to why ford is going away from MFT and Microsoft.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wont argue any of your points as you appear to have used MFT more than I. My comparison is with new model vehicles. I did not see that much of a difference between the two from being slow and laggy that would sway me either way. However, it does say something as to why ford is going away from MFT and Microsoft.

I don't disagree with any of your points, your bang on. IMHO the bigger issue for me is future functionality.

AppLink is a big deal to me for the additional 3rd party App integration. For many that's not a concern because they won't use it.

Ford is working with other Home Automation/Security software developers to integrate AppLink functionality. If I can control my Vivint Security System from the screen that's a bonus.

The other is WiFi integration, both mobile 4G and at home WiFi for updates. Again many won't use it so it's not a showstopper for them, I will use it.

Then again, once I see the redesigned Explorer in 18/19 I will likely trade up and this will all be moot.

Back