Mud Flaps / Splash Guards / DIY Pics | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mud Flaps / Splash Guards / DIY Pics

His 'green light' was on last night, that's why I posted the question.

frank

FYI his last post was June 26, 2014. The member may no longer be active on the Forum.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Splashguard (mud flap) Install on 14 Sport

Hi Guys,
I just picked up a 14' sport last weekend and wanted to take care of a few items to get the vehicle how I liked it. I live in Seattle, so it rains, a lot, with the rain comes a lot of mess from the water and much on the roads being thrown up on the rear quarter panels, under the front doors, and in the lower door channel.

This is what it looks like after driving every time it's wet
FvUxlma.jpg

To keep the mess down I picked up a set of OEM smash guards from Amazon ( Here) and installed them today, pretty easy overall, just a few frustrating plastic fasteners. Plan on an hour and a half to complete the front and back guards.

Tools you'll need:
Drill & 1/4" Drill bit
5.5mm socket and socket wrench
phillips head screw driver

Starting with the rear, here's what you get in the Kit, 2 Splashguards and 2 plastic fasteners:

2wjfPYB.jpg

Jack up the truck and slide in some jack stands for safety. Next, remove the rear wheel.

This is what you'll see:
jsMtwzF.jpg

Clean off the area where you'll be working, should look like this now.

NllFt9t.jpg

This next step may vary by vehicle, some early tucks have all phillips head screw drivers, mine had 2 5.5 mm screws and a plastic expanding clip, you'll want to remove the fasteners that are on the lower side of the trim.

You should now be able to pull the inner wheel trim out like this, take the time to clean behind here just cause.

LsPpFsn.jpg

Next you'll get the rear splash guard in place and reinstall the original fasteners in the same places you removed them from. You'll want to hold the splashguard firmly in place and tighten the 2 screws first to hold in in place. On my truck the plastic clip when in the middle hole.

4J37bHp.jpg

Next we'll drill the hole for the plastic faster included in your rear parts bag. Use your 1/4" drill bit and use the 4th hole in the splash guard as a guide to punch a hole in the inner wheel liner.

zD5SCFd.jpg

After this, install the plastic clip into the hole.

3YoHMVs.jpg

WioeXTN.jpg

Now, take the opportunity to check your tire, rim, brakes and suspension for any defects that need to be fixed. This is also a good time to clean the inside of your rim and behind the rim face.

Reinstall your tire and repeat the steps on the other side.

We'll move to the front in the next post.

The Fronts

The fronts are easier ( You don't have to remove the wheels from the vehicle, just turn so you can get to the fasteners on the back of the wheel well.

(It was starting to get dark, so a few of the images below aren't as brightly lit)

Here's what you get in the front kit: 2 splash guards and a parts bag with 4 screws, 4 threaded clips,

NnRQscj.jpg

First you'll turn the wheels all the way to lock, and go to the side you turned towards.

rbKFAKw.jpg

You will have 4 fasteners to remove, 2 plastic clips with plastic screws in them behind the tire, and 2 plastic trees at the bottom of the trim piece directly behind the wheel well.

VJwjYd8.jpg

imb6k4Q.jpg

The next step is to install the 2 plastic metal treaded clips. You'll pull the trim piece towards you and once that's clear pull forward the inner wheel well trim to slide these clips where the 2 plastic clips directly behind the wheel were located.

Here is the clip, didn't grab a photo of where it installs, but it's very obvious, there are two holes on separate metal tabs where these will go, the flat part goes towards the front wheel.

hLup4Nv.jpg

It's all easy from here, push the wheel liner back into place and then pull the trim back into place. From the bottom, install the original fastener that was closest to the wheel.

Next hold the splash guard in place and use the 2 screws included in the parts kit to secure it to the vehicle.

Here is a picture of the screws you'll use
TaQijaO.jpg

Next use your drill to make a 1/4" hole using the top hole in the splashguard as a guide.

z38R1eB.jpg

Install one of the 2 plastic clips you removed from here earlier into the new hole. It should now look like this:

ixYlYQv.jpg

The instructions recommend installing the original fastener to the bottom of the trim piece, I thought it was too flimsily so I used the left over plastic clip from the wheel well and used it to secure the bottom of the splash guard.

Once you have done this you're done. Repeat the steps on the opposite side to finish the project.

Nice, do you have a final photo (further away from EX) with them installed?

I had a little easier time. I had the dealer supply and install them free as part of the deal. ;)

Peter

Thank you Top Fuel Friday for the excellent pictorial on the install.

Peter

There are 2 options on the "build" website... Splash Guards $205. and Molded Splash Guards $50... When I was ordering my car, the dealer couldn't tell me if the $205 splash guards fit with the $50 molded splash guards, or why one was 4 times as expensive as the other. Can anyone here answer the question. It appears that everyone is installing the molded splash guards. Thanks

There are 2 options on the "build" website... Splash Guards $205. and Molded Splash Guards $50... When I was ordering my car, the dealer couldn't tell me if the $205 splash guards fit with the $50 molded splash guards, or why one was 4 times as expensive as the other. Can anyone here answer the question. It appears that everyone is installing the molded splash guards. Thanks
On the Canadian site under Accessories it shows Splash Guards; Front $60.99, Rear $62.49.
On Ford.com under Accessories it shows Splash Guards; Front $49.99, Rear $49.99.
All are the molded type. Perhaps the $205 includes installation. I'd suggest buying them as an accessory rather than an option if you want to do the work yourself. Or better yet, do what I did and have them supplied and installed for free as part of the deal like I did. :)

Peter

I have Weathertech mud flaps and I didn't remove any wheels or have to drill anything.

Pics?

Peter

I've had a hard time posting pics. Using imgr and they weren't working in another post. They are $40 a set so $80 for the whole truck.

My white Explorer Sport is on order and I've been thinking about Rally Armor Mud Flaps. I really like the way they look on Subaru's and VW's and I think that they'd look great on a Explorer Sport.

I'd be interested to see pics or hear about how you fitted them to your Explorer since they don't have a specific Explorer application. Here's the universal kits they have http://www.rallyarmor.com/index.php/rally-mud-flaps-universal-mud-flaps-c-60_116

I have the OEM ford explorer mudflaps.

I went with Weather Tech no drill mounts. They took me all of 30 minutes to put on and they look factory.

Another vote for Weathertech, they look great and were very easy to install!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not aware of anyone posting about using the RallyArmour ones.
The OEM splash guards are form fitted for the Explorer with the Ford oval on the rear ones. I think they may be easier to install. They also have the non fitted 'flat' ones for front and rear. Good luck and hope your Explorer arrives soon.

Peter

Back