Rearview Camera Active Guidelines | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rearview Camera Active Guidelines

Yeah wished our Sport had it...hell even my base 2015 GT has active guidelines. :crazy:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rear active guidlines

rvlyssup - I am with ya.. seems the 15 x for 53+ K should have the guidlines especially if it has rear back up and blind spot and all the other sensors.. Sounds like it is likely a software switch somewhere. My sport doesnt have em either. argh.

rvlyssup - I am with ya.. seems the 15 x for 53+ K should have the guidlines especially if it has rear back up and blind spot and all the other sensors.. Sounds like it is likely a software switch somewhere. My sport doesnt have em either. argh.
No Sport has them because they don't have the Active Park Assist (APA). As for having all the sensors, that isn't quite correct. See post 59. Extra sensors are required for the APA and the Sport doesn't have them.

Peter

No Sport has them because they don't have the Active Park Assist (APA). As for having all the sensors, that isn't quite correct. See post 59. Extra sensors are required for the APA and the Sport doesn't have them.
As far as APA @ the very least being required to have active guidelines isn't exactly 100% correct. Same goes for other sensors and what not.

My base GT has zero of any technology "requirements" to have the active guidelines enabled hence why some folks may be thinking its all software related. I don't believe a Mustang is any different from any Ford product when it comes to current MY technology.

As far as APA @ the very least being required to have active guidelines isn't exactly 100% correct. Same goes for other sensors and what not.

My base GT has zero of any technology "requirements" to have the active guidelines enabled hence why some folks may be thinking its all software related. I don't believe a Mustang is any different from any Ford product when it comes to current MY technology.
I don't know if the active guidelines are a 'required' feature with APA. All I know is that if you have one, you have the other. Additional sensors are required for the APA feature and are used partly to help the system calculate whether or not the Explorer will fit into the parking space. These sensors are not on Explorers that do not have APA. I don't know about comparing a Mustang and an Explorer in regards to technology. It could very well be that it is quite different.

Peter

My 2013 Fusion Titanium did not have Park Assist and I had the active guidelines with reverse sensing. So, if someone that has a 2016 Explorer Limited or Platinum and also have the Enhanced Active Park Assist can tell us if you have the active guidelines would be appreciated? This way we will know for sure.

They do have active guidelines if they have APA. Does that mean it is required for active guidelines to be made available...heck no. It is all software related. Ford is choosing not to have the feature active. I tried some back door tricks and haven't gotten it yet. Not sure what type of programming it is. If I come up with something I will speak up but not looking promising. According to the SM the guidelines are controlled by the PSCM (power steering control module), ABS module, Gateway Module and Body control module.

Spent about the last hour playing with coding. The active guidelines must be in the hard coded software rather than the programmable software. Unable to get them to work :(

Active Guidlines

PeterK9.. My only point is I would have hoped ( yes I used that word vs ASSUMED) that Ford would build from the basic up like most mfgrs these days.
The sport was not less than or equal to in price or feature of other models. Kins like wow if you want power give up features.
Its not a big deal only a point of principle is all. Not like Id not have purchased it because of it ... but honestly didnt buy other models given no ecoboost at that time.

Active park assist

I have a 2016 XLT and it does not have the curvy lines, only straight. My 2015 Edge has those curvy lines though. Didn't think that was a big deal option and it should have been on the XLT - weird

I have a 2016 XLT and it does not have the curvy lines, only straight. My 2015 Edge has those curvy lines though. Didn't think that was a big deal option and it should have been on the XLT - weird
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
As mentioned several times in this thread, the active ("curvy") lines are only on the Explorers with Active Park Assist (APA).

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
As mentioned several times in this thread, the active ("curvy") lines are only on the Explorers with Active Park Assist (APA).

Peter

Yes I see that the APA is an option that can be added but my Explorer doesn't have that. My 2015 Edge does have APA. Sorry about not using the technical terms...will work on that

Yes I see that the APA is an option that can be added but my Explorer doesn't have that. My 2015 Edge does have APA. Sorry about not using the technical terms...will work on that
Personally, I kind of like "curvy". :D

Peter

my friend has a 2015 escape se, very basic config,no apa, even no touch screen, but the camera has the guideline curve. I cannot understand ford's logical why 2016 explorer has no guideline curve

It's hardware

My understand is that the active guidelines make use of the steering angle sensor that is only in Explorers with the active park assist.

See part 3F818 here: http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...earch=true&year=2015&make=Ford&model=Explorer

Notice how it says: "Part Description: Power Tilt/Telescopic Strg Column ; With Automated Parking System" There are a few other entries for that part, and all say With Automated Parking System.

The steering angle sensor helps the Auto Park system by providing information on the orientation of the steering wheel - which makes sense that it would be used by the active guidelines.

The steering angle sensor should be present on all vehicles. Its part of all the safety controls to keep your vehicle on the road (prevent loss of control).

Its part of all the safety controls to keep your vehicle on the road (prevent loss of control).

Correction: It's not the steering angle sensors, you are right.... I guess I misremembered.

See: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2895281 post 11 and 14

According to Ford "It’s the sensors that detect objects to the side of the vehicle that are missing" Not sure why these would be needed to curve the lines.... but that's apparently the answer.

Correction: It's not the steering angle sensors, you are right.... I guess I misremembered.

See: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2895281 post 11 and 14

According to Ford "It’s the sensors that detect objects to the side of the vehicle that are missing" Not sure why these would be needed to curve the lines.... but that's apparently the answer.
I don't think the lines curve due to the sensors. If I recall correctly, the amount of curve is controlled by the steering wheel. You can have the lines curve in an empty parking lot where sensors wouldn't detect anything to the sides of the vehicle. The more you turn the steering wheel, the more the active guidelines will curve.

From the Manual;
Active guidelines are only shown with fixed guidelines. To use active guidelines, turn the steering wheel to point the guidelines toward an intended path. If you change the steering wheel position while reversing, your vehicle might deviate from the original intended path.

Peter

Is the Reverse Camera Active Guidelines standard with 2016 Explorer Sport?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the Reverse Camera Active Guidelines standard with 2016 Explorer Sport?
Unless the 2016 model is different, ACTIVE guidelines are only on vehicles with Active Park Assist.

Peter

Back