2002 4.0L Rack and pinion replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4.0L Rack and pinion replacement?

jbuszkie

Reaction score
City, State
Westminster, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I currently have a leak in my power steering system. It appears to be coming from the high pressure hose where it connects to the rack. It's pretty well rusted. I'm afraid that I'm not going to be able to loosen the nut on the rack that holds the bracket that secures the HP line. I'm afraid I'm just going to snap it off! so.. I bought a new rack just in case.

I watched this video and one other similar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gv35Qyeu-g

this was for a older model. My question is.. Is it about the same to remove mine? The Chiltons(or whatever I have) repair manual said something about having to remove the lower control arm? Is that true?

Any other thoughts or tips to guide me?

I'm really hoping to just replace the HP line and be done!

It might be a long weekend!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for that! It's what I was afraid of!

There's a lot of "Discard the nuts" The new rack certainly didn't come with all those new nuts! How many people actually use new nuts??

Jim

just use blue loctite, they have that in the service manual for safety reason. I re-used mine when I did my rack and pinion (got a 4.6 though) I only used new nuts/bolts if they are supplied on the new part.

I couldn't get the hoses of the rack.. They snapped. so now I do have to replace the rack..

I have the high pressure hose. But the return hose is special. It's metal to a crimped fitting to rubber then to the cooler. All the websites list just a rubber hose for the return line? Where do I get this special return hose?

Jim

Damn!!!! :fire:

I couldn't free up the bolt to the lower control arm!! grrr...
So it looks like I have to pack it up and send it to the mechanic! :(
I'm so disappointed!

I am getting ready to do this job. Does anyone know the total capacity for the power steering system? I need to pick up fluid and would like to have an educated guess as to how much to get.

I am getting ready to do this job. Does anyone know the total capacity for the power steering system? I need to pick up fluid and would like to have an educated guess as to how much to get.

My new rack had at least some fluid in it, but the system took almost a full quart on top of that. I would pick up two quarts just to be safe, and remember that it takes Mercon V ATF, not regular power steering fluid.

For my 2WD I did not have to remove the control arms. The tie-rod ends came off with some Kroil sprayed on them and a 2lb hammer massage. They would not budge off of the rack though, and my undercarriage is in pretty good shape. I would definitely plan on replacing them, and just return the new ones if you get lucky reusing the old ones. Also, the rack bushings were not included with the new rack so I had to reuse the old ones. I got creative with a ball joint press to get them out, but that could have been an unpleasant "gotcha" if I was not prepared.

Back