correct parts #'s 4.0sohc guides & tensioners with pics... | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

correct parts #'s 4.0sohc guides & tensioners with pics...

no improvements after 2002

According to what I've read any improvements made to increase the reliability of the camshaft timing associated components were incorporated in the 2002 and later models. Some Mustang owners claim the problem was fixed on their vehicle (2005 and later) but I have not found any proof of that. The right (rear) cassette is the remaining weak component. One side of the right cassette was reinforced but the other side wasn't and can still break. I would guess with proper maintenance the improved components should last around 250K miles. My 2000 right cassette (neither side reinforced) broke at 150K miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The hydraulic tensioners are still made with a spring in them, which weakens far sooner than the normal engine service periods. Change those two every 50k-100k miles, depending on how lucky you feel. The weaker those get, the more slack the chains run with.

My truck is down since the trans went out, with 150k on it(75k since the first servicing I did), I'm going to change all of the parts again, including the rear cassette. The rest of the engines can go 200k-300k or more, if the valvetrain is taken care of(including proper oil/filter changes of course).

hi i finally killed my 2002 3.0 xlt maverick so now have another explorer 4.0. just bought my 4th explorer i keep moving away due to the difficulty finding parts in the uk but just keep coming back to explorers. I have just found this site and could do with some advice. my engine has a timing chain rattle which apparently started over christmas i hope this is just the tensioners and after much searching i have found them and they will arrive monday HOPEFULLY this will fix the rattle but the car also seems to run hot although the temp guage does not even register despite the rattle the car runs smoothly but does not seem to have as much power as my other explorers. i am planning to do a full service this weekend and fit the tensioners monday but do any of you have any suggestions as to what else i need to do to protect myself from any massive bills later on?

Timing is pretty much all you have to worry about, except for automatic gearbox. Once you have tackled the engine see if you can improve performance by changing spark plugs and ignition wires. Make sure air filter is clean. You might want to buy some throttle body cleaner and clean throttle body and intake.
There is more but I would advise you to start a new post and ask, ask, ask...

Welcome to the forum!

Timing is pretty much all you have to worry about, except for automatic gearbox. Once you have tackled the engine see if you can improve performance by changing spark plugs and ignition wires. Make sure air filter is clean. You might want to buy some throttle body cleaner and clean throttle body and intake.
There is more but I would advise you to start a new post and ask, ask, ask...

Welcome to the forum!
thank you well parts are arriving tomorrow am so i will attempt the tensioners tomorrow and see how we go with that and if that goes ok will follow up with a full service just hope the tensioners solve the problem at least temporarily as i really dont want to have to take the engine out within the first week of owning this car

help!!!

parts arrived and i have started fitting but what exactly is the flow restriction rod and how do i get the old one out? also the front tensioner on mine is the same as the rear but the replacement ford have supplied look like the one in your part list is this correct??

thank you

thanks guys tensioners fitted the ones that came out were both the same but replacements are as in your pics dont know why but it has quietened it down a lot, next question although it has quietened down a lot there is still a rattle but it tends to rattle on tickover and occasionally under acceleration I thought I would need to change the timing chain and cassettes but the local engine man says the rattle is coming from the middle of both banks and not from timing chains he thinks that removing sump and cleaning the pickup will solve as the pickup strainer is partially blocked and causing the hydraulic tappets to slap. Has anyone heard of this before as he says he has had the same problem with 2 explorers and a ranger in the last 12 months. Could this be possible?

Looseness of the chains is the problem, any. The several tensioners are all potential causes. The external tensioners are the easiest to change, and those have the most susceptible(mechanical springs inside) weak links. Those should be changed more often, say at 75k or less.

The chain looseness will cause more wear of the plastic guides, that's the after the fact debris you might find in the pan or pickup. If there is any debris found, then the chain cassettes need to be replaced, ... plus all of the other parts around the chains, tensioners and guides.

Don't ignore noises, or run the engine hard with any noises. Fix the chain looseness.

but the local engine man says the rattle is coming from the middle of both banks and not from timing chains he thinks that removing sump and cleaning the pickup will solve as

Could be the jackshaft tensioner.
That's what it was with my XLT, the cam chains and tensioners and guides were fine.

Open the sump, if you see any brown plastic that's your chain guides.

wow I wish i lived over there explorer parts are ridiculous here!!! left tensioner kit £187 right tensioner kit £99 gasket set £212 external tensioners front £97 rear £86 oils and fluids £52 total to stop timing chain rattle £733 and that is without my labour equals about $1500 i think but once finished it should be like a new car. I am now buying a second hand engine to rebuild ready for next time

Way to go. Should of me asked before you bought the parts - I've got a set ready to go in Poland - OEM and aftermarket.

and yeah, having another engine just sitting there will help although I think you shouldn't have any problems with yours as long as you used quality parts.

:thumbsup:

thanks

i should have asked on here first i guess the prices on this post were tiny compared to what i had to pay but from your pics you might be the person to ask when it comes to my suspension lift and the first thing i need to find which is a snorkel for the explorer

there is a snorkel designated for a Toyota that you can buy that will work on your truck - not available in the US though - PM me for more - I assume your airbox is on the right side instead of left like in the left hand drive rigs?

thanks all truck now purring like a kitten and soooo quiet , now need to get and fit a snorkel and do some other tweaking from original spec but i think i will also get another timing kit to rebuild the spare engine ready for when it goes again

Back