Squealing Noise When Wet, Belt? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squealing Noise When Wet, Belt?

Hey everyone,
New here so first off I will start by saying 'Hi' and I'm glad to have found this forum. I use one for my 08 F-150, so it's nice to have this for the wife's 2013 Explorer XLT. Bought it Oct. 31, 2012. Currently has 9600 miles.

Now onto our issues, just want to state that is this is a non eco V6, and completely stock.

First issue: Started @ 5000 miles, When driving the car in moderate to heavy rain the belt slips, and squeals causing the lights dim and us to loose power for a few seconds. It does it EVERY time it is raining anything more than a sprinkle...which is bad for us because we live in a very rainy place, over 200 inches a year..

Second issue: Been doing this since new, This only happens if the car isn't fully up to temp mind you, but we have a hill just up the road from our house that is well, the main road and in the morning or when the car is cold we go up the hill and the car doesn't want to shift like it should...it gets stuck in 3rd and will go all the way to red line unless you let off the gas and then re apply then it jerks into 4th and is fine. Have had the transmission updated didn't help.

Other than these 2 issues the car has been awesome and we love it!
This is exactly what is happening to my '11 xlt except it was worse last week. While driving in the rain I heard this same squeal but all of sudden I lost some power and then the dash lit up like a christmas tree flashing charging system warning. At the same time it seemed I was driving just on the battery and had no power steering. I got off the exit, turned it off and could not start it up again. Had AAA come out and jumped it. It seems the belt may have stopped so the alternator stopped?? This squeal and some loss of power has been happening for about 6 months and the one Ford dealer does not see anything wrong. They told me to bring it on a raining day next time to see if it does it. I almost do not want to drive it in the rain now if all my power is going to be cut off. Has anyone figured out a solution or heard what the problem is? I would hate to get rid of this because I do like the vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

See my belt squeaks...when rain ect. But no loss of power...just a squeaky belt..annoying but nothing major in my situation

Mine started squealing again within the past month (2nd belt now). Not only do we feel a loss of power till it squeals enough to dry off and grip but it also causes our wipers to slow when sweeping and our HVAC heater fan to slow down as well. Clearly it is slipping so the alternator is not charging full. I then hear the squeal, it dries, it grips and everything returns to normal.. then 30 seconds later, does it all over again.

Need to take it in and have them look at the tensioner.. there is no reason the belt should be slipping like this when it rains.

Mine started squealing again within the past month (2nd belt now). Not only do we feel a loss of power till it squeals enough to dry off and grip but it also causes our wipers to slow when sweeping and our HVAC heater fan to slow down as well. Clearly it is slipping so the alternator is not charging full. I then hear the squeal, it dries, it grips and everything returns to normal.. then 30 seconds later, does it all over again.

Need to take it in and have them look at the tensioner.. there is no reason the belt should be slipping like this when it rains.

Yes this is what is happening to mine with the slowing down of wipers, dimming of headlights, etc. I spoke to a local mechinac yesterday and he asked me, "do you feel a loss of power and loss of power steering" He when on to mention that more then likely is the tensioner and since it is not gripping the belt tight enough, the belt becomes almost "carmelized" and slick. I am bring this in to Garnet Ford in Chadds Ford, PA on Tuesday since it supposed to rain...after this 18 inches of snow. I am going to mention that a few others suggest checking the tensioner and belt.

Yes this is what is happening to mine with the slowing down of wipers, dimming of headlights, etc. I spoke to a local mechinac yesterday and he asked me, "do you feel a loss of power and loss of power steering" He when on to mention that more then likely is the tensioner and since it is not gripping the belt tight enough, the belt becomes almost "carmelized" and slick. I am bring this in to Garnet Ford in Chadds Ford, PA on Tuesday since it supposed to rain...after this 18 inches of snow. I am going to mention that a few others suggest checking the tensioner and belt.

You won't notice a loss of power steering because it is electric, not belt driven. On the last rain storm, it went almost 45 seconds before it gripped again on one occasion and was repeating itself every 30 seconds or so. No way it is the belt again being less then a year old.

You won't notice a loss of power steering because it is electric, not belt driven.

Think about it. Dimming lights, slowing wipers, electric power steering...

All possible if the alternator stops/reduces charging.

I was finally able to get my Explorer in while it was raining and have a tech take it for a spin. They were able to hear the squeal and see the diminishing power as it was happening. After looking at things they think it was the tensioner causing the belt to slip. So they put a new tensioner on under the power train warranty but I had to pay for a new belt. Tried to tell them that the belt was probably bad because of the tensioner but was told since it is a wear and tear item it could not be covered. It is supposed to rain heavy here in Delaware tomorrow so I will see if this solved the problem.

My wife's 2014 Explorer Limited w/V6 has all the same issues. Belt squeals, loss of electrical power, warning lights on dash to check charging system when it rains or snows. It now has about 45,000 miles on it.

We had it at the dealer while under warranty in the summer because it sounded like the AC compressor clutch or something was rattling. The dealer said it was the belt tensioner and replaced it.

Now this winter with rain and snow she has had all the above problems. I took it to a non-dealer repair shop that I trust. The mechanic there told me he could clearly see that the belt was getting wet between the frame and the air deflector on the right side of the engine. The air deflector is included on Explorers with the tow package. He said the accessory belt should never get wet. He said perhaps a splash guard was missing. He called Ford and confirmed that there is no splash guard for the V6. The 2.0 EcoBoost has one, but not the V6. He was willing to fabricate a makeshift splash guard out of plastic to see if it would help, but I declined.

This definitely sounds like a design issue that I think Ford should address.

Welcome to the Forum tke961.:wavey:
Thank you for posting that information. That hasn't been brought up before to my knowledge. Something to keep in mind.:thumbsup:

Peter

So if we just remove the air deflector, that should solve the problem? I don't tow with it so no concerns for me if it is removed.

So if we just remove the air defector, that should solve the problem? I don't tow with it so no concerns for me if it is removed.

I don't think that's what he was suggesting. I think he was saying there is a space between the air deflector and the frame where water gets to the belt. Perhaps removing the air deflector would create a bigger space. I don't know that answer. Thankfullly it was snowy the day he had it and could get a nice look at it.

I'm curious for those that have this issue:
1. Which engine? 2,0, V6, or V6 Eco? I'm really curious if an 2.0 people have this issue, since there is a splash guard for that engine.
2. Tow package air deflector installed or not.

I don't think that's what he was suggesting. I think he was saying there is a space between the air deflector and the frame where water gets to the belt. Perhaps removing the air deflector would create a bigger space. I don't know that answer. Thankfullly it was snowy the day he had it and could get a nice look at it.

I'm curious for those that have this issue:
1. Which engine? 2,0, V6, or V6 Eco? I'm really curious if an 2.0 people have this issue, since there is a splash guard for that engine.
2. Tow package air deflector installed or not.

My thought was water in entering the air deflector and being thrown up towards the engine. If we remove it, then there would be no air effect throwing it upwards towards it.

I'm going on a trip today, I may pop it off and see what happens. We are supposed to get the rain from the hurricanes down south today so it would be a good test.

My thought was water in entering the air deflector and being thrown up towards the engine.

I don't have an air deflector (non-tow). Still squeals in wet weather.

I'm going to replace the serp belt and tensioner (less than $100 at Rock Auto) next oil change.

I don't have an air deflector (non-tow). Still squeals in wet weather.

I'm going to replace the serp belt and tensioner (less than $100 at Rock Auto) next oil change.

I've done the belt already, lasted over a year I believe before it started again. That's why I thought the tensioner figuring once the belt starts to give a little from wear, the tensioner wasn't doing its job.

Just drove out now and heard a squeal in a mist of rain. Grrr.

Solution

Changed serpentine belt and squeal went away. Shouldn't have to change belt at 50k miles but it is what it is.

Yup, changed mine as well a little over a week ago and so far nothing just like the last time I replaced it. My mechanic who I know pretty well said the tensioner was fine from what he could tell.

Is it difficult to change the serpentine belt?

Belt squeals

Same issues here, 2012 Explorer Limited, wet weather, belt squeals, lose power, as in wipers slow, slow acceleration, blower fan for HVAC slows, had belt replaced around 30,000 miles under warranty, now 64,000, doing the same thing, thinking of changing it myself

Same issues here, 2012 Explorer Limited, wet weather, belt squeals, lose power, as in wipers slow, slow acceleration, blower fan for HVAC slows, had belt replaced around 30,000 miles under warranty, now 64,000, doing the same thing, thinking of changing it myself

I did mine. It would have been much easier with a helper. Plus, the tool that I have wasn't the right shape to pull the tensioner back to full release. Honestly, if someone would do the job for under $50, I'd let them next time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Again!!!

As you can see from my post back on 2/2/16 on this thread I had the tensioner and belt replaced and seemed to work....until this past Saturday. It was raining fairly heavy and can't believe I am having this problem again. Any other ideas of what can be the proper fix. Anyone?

Back