OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike

T Empirical evidence is great, but when everyone is saying more or less the same thing, its coming from someplace.

I always ignore the 'Snow Performance' portion of tire reviews. Too many people have high expectations of all season tires in snow. How deep, how cold, what type of snow, what type of roads? Too many variables to be anywhere close to accurate, even in volumes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although testing results are meaningful, I also prefer to read reviews of actual owners of various products. Personally, I would give a little more weight on actual user reviews when considering buying products.

Peter

If I remember right, you swapped the Hankooks for something different shortly after you bought your old Explorer, correct? Did you test out the limits of the factory tires(dry, wet, snow) and decide they were just terrible so you replaced with a different tire? I would take your review more seriously since we "know" you...or at least you aren't just a random person writing a review on a website which may or may not be real.

If I remember right, you swapped the Hankooks for something different shortly after you bought your old Explorer, correct? Did you test out the limits of the factory tires(dry, wet, snow) and decide they were just terrible so you replaced with a different tire? I would take your review more seriously since we "know" you...or at least you aren't just a random person writing a review on a website which may or may not be real.
I swapped them the same afternoon that I picked up the Ex. In this case I went strictly by the reviews because it was early March and I wanted a tire with a little more aggressive tread. Put on the Yokohama Parada Spec-X.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Parada+Spec-X#RatingsReviews
I had an offer from one tire dealer of $80/tire for the Hankooks while most weren't interested in them at all. The deal was contingent on not having more than 60 miles on them. Ironically I have the same Hankooks on the MKT I picked up in April 2014 but I always use dedicated Winter tires so I left them on. I have had no issues with the Hankooks in dry or wet conditions but they will never see snow/ice.

Peter

I swapped them the same afternoon that I picked up the Ex. In this case I went strictly by the reviews because it was early March and I wanted a tire with a little more aggressive tread. Put on the Yokohama Parada Spec-X.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Parada+Spec-X#RatingsReviews
I had an offer from one tire dealer of $80/tire for the Hankooks while most weren't interested in them at all. The deal was contingent on not having more than 60 miles on them. Ironically I have the same Hankooks on the MKT I picked up in April 2014 but I always use dedicated Winter tires so I left them on. I have had no issues with the Hankooks in dry or wet conditions but they will never see snow/ice.

Peter

Thanks for the feedback.
Now that you’ve experienced the Hankooks for a little bit(although a slightly different vehicle) and you had the Spec-X’s on your previous ride, would you say there’s a significant different between the 2? Specifically looking at wet and dry performance.

Would you agree with the Tirerack ratings on the Hankooks for wet/dry performance? I’m sort of trying to corner you to contradict your other comments, but I also want your real world opinion if the ratings of the Hankooks on Tirerack are low, high or right on target.

Thanks for the feedback.
Now that you’ve experienced the Hankooks for a little bit(although a slightly different vehicle) and you had the Spec-X’s on your previous ride, would you say there’s a significant different between the 2? Specifically looking at wet and dry performance.

Would you agree with the Tirerack ratings on the Hankooks for wet/dry performance? I’m sort of trying to corner you to contradict your other comments, but I also want your real world opinion if the ratings of the Hankooks on Tirerack are low, high or right on target.
Can't comment on the 'Winter/Snow' part since I use Winter tires. As for 'Ride Quality and Noise', I would say the ratings are a little low. I haven't really noticed noise from them but that could also have to to with the MKT's insulation. Haven't had them long enough to comment on 'Treadwear'. I feel the 'Dry' ratings are a little Low as well. I haven't noticed any issues in regards to the 3 conditions listed. For the 'Wet' category I would say the Wet Traction rating is low. I don't over accelerate and have not noticed any issues but the Hydroplaning Resistance seems to be on target.
The Yokohama tire was better as far as the Hydroplaning Resistance goes and again they were a quiet tire with good traction. I doubt I could tell which tire was on the vehicle in Dry conditions. I don't recall that Yokohamas suffered from flat spotting either. The Hankooks do at times.
Because I got the Ex in early March, it was the rating for Winter/Snow in combination with reviews that made me change the tires. That and the fact that my financial situation was very good at the time.:)

Peter

I think the Hankooks are the most polarizing tire that I've read about here and Tiretrack. People either despise them or find they're fine. So far I am in the latter camp. 12K on my Hankooks and no complaints about performance in wet and dry, and still pretty quiet.

I don't drive fast but not slow either (former NYC resident where you have to be aggressive). I don't drive in deep snow (don't ski anymore) and during heavy snow like the Jonas storm, I work from home. It's fine on light snow and ice braking is average - you just have to expect longer braking distance. So my opinion is based on average type of everyday driving without driving in any extremes. Sometimes I think folks expect a bit much for this tire on such a heavy vehicle as the Explorer.

For what it is worth, I went through 2 Midwest winters with the Hankooks. I was not impressed with them at all for any sort of winter mix (snow, sleet, ice) driving. HOWEVER, for summer/dry driving, I thought they were great. Very smooth ride, low noise and good traction up until I removed them with almost 70K miles on them.

I switched them out with a dedicated winter tire and in the spring will be putting new rims with Yokohama Parada Spec-X.

I had the Bridgestones installed but haven't had them in snow yet. On dry pavement they are a bit firmer which I am fine with. Neither throw off a material amount of noise. Dry handling is about the same.

Pulled my Optimo H426's off at 10k miles. Replaced with Nitto Terra Grappler G2 size 265/50/R20. Love them! Better grip, better looking, and fills out the wheel well better. Noise is negligible, and No Rubbing.

HOWEVER, for summer/dry driving, I thought they were great. Very smooth ride, low noise and good traction up until I removed them with almost 70K miles on them.

I tend to agree with this review of the Hankook's, low noise and smooth on dry pavement and seem to be wearing well. I struggle with them on wet pavement, I don't think they grip that well, it's easy to lose traction when accelerating, and that's not accelerating fast. I will replace them before next winter with Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires. I've owned two sets of LTX tires and they wear exceptionally well and grip very well on wet pavement.

Due to my timing of removing the Winter wheels a week ago and Mother Nature's untimely dumping of 6" of wet snow yesterday, I finally got to experience the OEM Hankooks first hand in snowy conditions. I can tell you it was an experience I hope to never encounter again. Tires slipped at almost every stop and go no matter how carefully I drove. The vehicle never felt 'planted' on the roads and was pulled to the side several times. Traction control also engaged a few times. Things I never experienced with the Bridgestone DM-V1 Winter tires. They weren't too bad on the snow covered highway but terrible on the secondary roads.

Peter

Due to my timing of removing the Winter wheels a week ago and Mother Nature's untimely dumping of 6" of wet snow yesterday, I finally got to experience the OEM Hankooks first hand in snowy conditions. I can tell you it was an experience I hope to never encounter again. Tires slipped at almost every stop and go no matter how carefully I drove. The vehicle never felt 'planted' on the roads and was pulled to the side several times. Traction control also engaged a few times. Things I never experienced with the Bridgestone DM-V1 Winter tires. They weren't too bad on the snow covered highway but terrible on the secondary roads.

Peter

I'm surprised to hear that Peter, as I had the opposite experience as you with the factory equipped Ventus S1 Noble2 and had no problems whatsoever.
I drove from the west of the city to downtown Ottawa, on the carpool lane from Kanata up to Moodie drive, which was not cleared at all and it peformed just as well as my winter Ipike RW11.

Albeit, the tread on the Ventus S1 Noble2 have less than 100miles on them, as I swapped them the 2nd week out for winters after taking delivery last Nov.

I drove from the west of the city to downtown Ottawa, on the carpool lane from Kanata up to Moodie drive, which was not cleared at all and it performed just as well as my winter Ipike RW11.

Although I am not north of the border like you guys, I am an avid snowmobiler and I spent most of the winter weekends in Michigan, The UP of Michigan and northern, WI. I had no issues with traction or stopping on the Ventus S1's - pulling the snowmobiles and all. Some of the roads you drive down actually double as snowmobile trails. I think the stock tires did just fine.

Although I am not north of the border like you guys, I am an avid snowmobiler and I spent most of the winter weekends in Michigan, The UP of Michigan and northern, WI. I had no issues with traction or stopping on the Ventus S1's - pulling the snowmobiles and all. Some of the roads you drive down actually double as snowmobile trails. I think the stock tires did just fine.
The Hankooks on the 2016 are not the same as the ones that came on the 2011 - 2015 Explorers.

Peter

Thanks. I have not ever owned the Michelin Latitude Tour HP's, but I'm sure they are very good tires, especially having lasted 80,000 miles, assuming they rode quietly and gripped well.

The Hankook Optimo 426's are not bad tires, they are fairly quiet, but do not have the grip that the Michelin LTX's have in the rain. As far as tread life is concerned, the Hankook's seem to be at least average in tread life and will probably end up being better than average. I won't drive them down to their tread wear indicator bars, but do anticipate to get at least 40,000 miles from them.

I got 50k out of my hankooks and then put on Yokohamas and got 54k out of them before changing them Saturday and putting on Pirellis. I have Michelin on my truck and although a great highway tire, there is zero traction in the snow now that I'm down half tread with 26k on them.

Not sure if the people getting 80k with still great tread life left have 18s over 20s but I just don't see anyone getting 80k plus on a 20".

There was a day when Hankook and General brand Tires were not very good, cheap tires.
For the last bunch of years some Ford's come with them and herein is my concern.
Are they as good nowadays as other major brands such as Michelin/Goodyear/GfGoodrich and the consistently best Tires i ever had, Firestones? I'm seriously considering checking with my dealer to exchange them as soon as my Explorer arrives.
My question is to Explorer owners that have Hankook's.
Do they handle ok and do you get decent mileage out of them before having to replace them.
How satisfied are you with them?

There was a day when Hankook and General brand Tires were not very good, cheap tires.
For the last bunch of years some Ford's come with them and herein is my concern.
Are they as good nowadays as other major brands such as Michelin/Goodyear/GfGoodrich and the consistently best Tires i ever had, Firestones? I'm seriously considering checking with my dealer to exchange them as soon as my Explorer arrives.
My question is to Explorer owners that have Hankook's.
Do they handle ok and do you get decent mileage out of them before having to replace them.
How satisfied are you with them?
Your thread has been merged with this one found using the 'Search' feature.
For the newer Hankook Ventus tires there is a specific thread on treadwear.
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...issue-with-ventus-s1-noble-2-hankooks.457805/
There are also some existing threads on the Hankook Optimo H426 tires.

Peter

Thanks Peter. Guess i should have done some research before posting. Which Hankooks do you have on your Explorer that you're not impressed with?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Peter. Guess i should have done some research before posting. Which Hankooks do you have on your Explorer that you're not impressed with?
I had the Optimo H426 on the 2011 and changed them to Yokohama Parada Spec-X the day I picked it up since it was March and the Hankooks didn't have great Winter ratings. The 2017 came with the Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires but I haven't used them yet. They are stored at the dealership since I had them put my stored 18" Winters on when I got it. Have an appointment for April 12th to get the current Winter set up changed out for the OEM ones. The '14 MKT had the Optimo H426 tires on it and I had no issues with them at all. But then again I don't use them for Winter driving. In hindsight, I probably could have gone with them on the 2011 but $$ was no object then.:) Because of the low mileage I drive I don't plan to replace the current ones since I'll never come close to earing them down before the lease is up.

Peter

Back