• Register Today It's free!

Bluetooth - "Pairing Fail"

jcerrion

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Anyone else had "issues with pairing your device via bluetooth?

I have had ZERO trouble in the past pairing all these devices. Phones, Ipods.

One day i get in my truck and try to use my ipod via bluetooth like i always do (easier to navigate to the songs you want) and it doesnt pair. Not an issue as it has happened before, the common fix was just go to it and connect manually via settings, or restart the vehicle.

But now, i can do that. Ive tried deleting all my devices to repair it and now im getting some kind of pairing error.

When i press "add device" it starts the pairing process and code, but only for about 2 seconds... then it closes and says "pairing failed" and cuts back to the original settings "my devices" screen.

My device is set to "be discoverable" and such forth. so its not my device, its MFT.

Has anyone had this issue?

ive tried multiple restarts and stuff with no luck and same end result. thoughts, ideas, solutions, cures?

should i just use a baseball bat? :hammer:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One day i get in my truck and try to use my ipod via bluetooth like i always do (easier to navigate to the songs you want) and it doesnt pair. Not an issue as it has happened before, the common fix was just go to it and connect manually via settings, or restart the vehicle.

But now, i can do that. Ive tried deleting all my devices to repair it and now im getting some kind of pairing error.

When i press "add device" it starts the pairing process and code, but only for about 2 seconds... then it closes and says "pairing failed" and cuts back to the original settings "my devices" screen.

My device is set to "be discoverable" and such forth. so its not my device, its MFT.

ive tried multiple restarts and stuff with no luck and same end result. thoughts, ideas, solutions, cures?

Try using the delayed reboot file from http://outofmytouch.com/ or pull fuse 29 or pull the battery cable.

I'd guess you are going to have to pull the battery or the fuse as you need to reset the bluetooth module and I'm not sure it will do that with the reboot file.

If that doesn't fix it, a visit to the dealer will be in order for a new APIM.

Hi, jcerrion!

Please try rebooting your devices, and perform a Master Reset on MFT. Here are the reset instructions:

MENU > SETTINGS > SYSTEM > MASTER RESET

Let me know how it goes!

Rebecca

thanks rebecca, i will try that soon and report back.

MFT master reset worked. Thank you.

I hate to revive an old post but this is exactly my problem too.
2010 Sporttrac, Running an iphone 5s, worked for 2 years no problem. Sync updated to the latest firmware released about a year ago.

Worked on the drive in, stopped when i went to drive home. Deleted Bluetooth device and tried to re-add it. When i hear press OK, then with in a second it says pair failed. I then tried USB only, it connects but skips during playback, similar to stuttering throughout the song.
Did a Master Reset, same results.

Can I pull a fuse? Or is the Sync Module toast?
Thanks!

Thank you Rebecca for your suggestions,

I did try that and no change. I did a master reset on the radio. I turned off all apps, then did a hard restart on the iphone, logged in went to the bluetooth screen. But when trying to pair, at the point where it 'says hit ok to begin pairing' even before she finishes, less than a second, the display says 'Pair Failed'. No Sync appears on the phone.

I also used a ipod touch with USB cable everything shows up playlists etc, but when its playing, the sound stutters, or in other words cuts out for a second and then returns for a second, cuts out etc.

My next thought was to pull the fuse and do a 'hard reboot' of the Sync device.

On a side note i also have a '10 mounty with the same radio, bluetooth works fine there with the phone in question.

You're welcome, Jim!

Unfortunately, I'm not able to suggest a fuse pull, but you can give your dealer a call to see if that's what they suggest. If they say yes, then you can do it; if that still doesn't correct the issue, an appointment will be needed for the dealership to diagnose and correct this. Keep me posted please!

Rebecca

Thank you Rebecca for your suggestions,

I did try that and no change. I did a master reset on the radio. I turned off all apps, then did a hard restart on the iphone, logged in went to the bluetooth screen. But when trying to pair, at the point where it 'says hit ok to begin pairing' even before she finishes, less than a second, the display says 'Pair Failed'. No Sync appears on the phone.

I also used a ipod touch with USB cable everything shows up playlists etc, but when its playing, the sound stutters, or in other words cuts out for a second and then returns for a second, cuts out etc.

My next thought was to pull the fuse and do a 'hard reboot' of the Sync device.

On a side note i also have a '10 mounty with the same radio, bluetooth works fine there with the phone in question.

Is this phone updated to the latest/last available update version?
BT versions in cars are likely different, BT across phones are for sure different.
There are not many versions, but as a whole it can be inconsistent. Likely your car is fine.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I did try them all.
My phone is iPhone 5s, fully updated. Tried connecting my iPad also over bluetooth. but still didn't work.

What did work was, I pulled fuse F41 at the Battery Junction Box under the hood, with the car on and radio on. Then turn the engine off, open the door, and restarted the engine. The Sync module rebooted, tried a voice command and it said building voice list. iPod worked with USB right away, no further issues. Phone paired no problem. All is well now.

Just a note, i tried pulling the fuse with the car off and door open, didn't do anything, but with it on, i believe it forced the Sync module to 'rebuild' itself.

And thank you all, very good suggestions to try first before pulling the fuse.

Mine pairs but after a few mins it connects and disconnects again. This happens to both my iphone 6 plus and iphone 5s. But on my wife's iphone 6, it has stable connection. What seems to be the problem here

Mine pairs but after a few mins it connects and disconnects again. This happens to both my iphone 6 plus and iphone 5s. But on my wife's iphone 6, it has stable connection. What seems to be the problem here

Maybe an app causing the issue?

Try deleting pair in phone and MFT, repair fresh.
Screens sometimes are different when pairing fresh, look for prompt to enable any hands free features that are available-usually txting features.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back