2011-15 vs 2016 Exterior Styling | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011-15 vs 2016 Exterior Styling

What model year exterior looks better.

• 2011-15

Votes: 56 52.8%

Votes: 50 47.2%

• Total voters
All you need is the present AWD EX with a locking differential.

You make all good points, however this simply isn't the vehicle for this. Look at the ground clearance, tire and wheel options, soft suspension. It's no more an off road vehicle than a Taurus is.

In car-like CUVs, and other AWD vehicles, the locking diff has been replaced with electronic traction management, or in the case of the Ex, Terrain Management. Using the braking system to control traction is a lighter, less expensive alternative. Perhaps not as effective, but it is the direction most manufacturers have taken in a world of appliance drivers.

North America is simply going the other direction. Even the latest generation Touareg is stripped of all it's true off-road fitments. No locking axle or center diffs, no air suspension, no dual batteries anymore. There's simply a knob that says 'Off Road / On Road' to change the electronic traction management.

The Everest is very compelling...4WD, manual tranny, diesel options, etc....but it will only see the shores of Australia, Africa, and the Far East. The biggest off road challenge in this country is not getting stuck parked outside the soccer field.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please remember that this thread was started to get opinions from members about which model you find the most visually appealing.
It has nothing to do with what it should or should not have as far as on or off road ability. There are other threads for that.

Peter

Please remember that this thread was started to get opinions from members about which model you find the most visually appealing.
It has nothing to do with what it should or should not have as far as on or off road ability. There are other threads for that.

Peter

Over moderate much?

Only when members start to take a thread off topic. That's a moderator's job.

Peter

Did Ford copy Landrover design on years 2016. It feels like they hire the same person to design the car.

Being an owner of both a 13 (sold) and 16 LTD I have to say that the 16 is much better looking (more masculine) IMHO.

the new ones still havent grown on me. ive seen some that i think look nice but overall i still dont like the change. the rear is ok and i love the headlights but i still dont like the grill.

Love the look of the Platinum...That's why I got it...I too was looking at Range Rover and when I came across this vehicle I was pleasantly surprised.

My only gripe is the lack of choices for rims. Not that the ones that come with it are bad, just wish there were choices...

Love the look of the Platinum...That's why I got it...I too was looking at Range Rover and when I came across this vehicle I was pleasantly surprised.

My only gripe is the lack of choices for rims. Not that the ones that come with it are bad, just wish there were choices...

From the distance it looks like a Land Rover or Range Rover but its priced twice as expensive as Platinum.

I'm still happy with the looks of my 2011 when I look at the 2016. At first the 2016 did not really look so hot to me, but I will say it has grown on me and the more I see it the more I like it. Compared to most other comps the 2016 looks up top. I like the look of the JGC, but would not touch that tranny.

It's only a face-lift so the 2011 does not look dated next to the 2016. Curious about the next whole new design, but I'm buy and hold as long as I can, so I may be waiting for the one after that if I stay with Ford. Too far out to know.

From the distance it looks like a Land Rover or Range Rover but its priced twice as expensive as Platinum.

So far it has been a very comfortable ride. Very nice indeed...

So far it has been a very comfortable ride. Very nice indeed...

Explorer could be a bang for your buck for sure. The Sport has perforated seats, cooled and heated and very comfortable. I test drove many vehicles before I decided. RX sport seats has stiff side bolsters but the leather quality seemed identical, but they had only ventilated seats, not cooled. I am 6'5" so the explorer was the right fit for me. Fits like a glove, lots of space and good looking interior and exterior with the new face lift.

Being biased a bit - I have a 2016.

we had the option to buy any number of 2015's and oddly the seat room isn't there. IE there is a bit of a difference in the 2016's seats that helped with the whole, child seat hassle.

so 2015's were out for that reason alone. Otherwise though - I still like the looks outside and inside of the 2016 over the 12-15 models.

or whatever the previous model range.

OH and to be even odder - I like the basic grill over the all black gloss sport/platinum grills. Depending on the base color of the car.

Ours is the white pearl coat - so the grey variegated grill looks good there. ON say the blue or the magnetic (which is the color I really wanted) I could see going the other way.

My issue with the front end of the 16's is that the new design makes it look TALLER. I love how my Sport has a "sporty stance", even what appears to be a slight forward rake. I didn't see this with the 2016. In fact, I physically tested the clearance in the front wheel well on a 16 in comparison to my 13. The 13 does sit lower.

http://2016forddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2014-Ford-Explorer-Hybrid-front-grill-610x405.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/slideshows/i...3484344/slug/l/06-2016-ford-explorer-fd-1.jpg

My issue with the front end of the 16's is that the new design makes it look TALLER. I love how my Sport has a "sporty stance", even what appears to be a slight forward rake. I didn't see this with the 2016. In fact, I physically tested the clearance in the front wheel well on a 16 in comparison to my 13. The 13 does sit lower.
I'm guessing that 3 years or so of driving might explain the slight difference in height when measuring a new 2016 Sport vs a 2013.

Peter

The 2016 Sport also sits higher than my 2011 XLT. I've parked next to a few. The Sports 2013 - 2015 were usually lower than the base - limited models of 11 - 15.

Having now observed some "16 models on the road, I have to say, the front looks great, aggressive like some say. From different angles I feel think "15 model looks better; the whole package together is more consistent designed; its more "elegant". Its very clear that Ford Ford has done a drastic renewal on a good looking "old model"most visibly at front and back, less on the side. These type of changes are always very difficult. Never the less, the 16" is still one of the better looking SUV's out there.

I'm guessing that 3 years or so of driving might explain the slight difference in height when measuring a new 2016 Sport vs a 2013.

Peter

Interesting point to consider. From what I've read online, the Sports and other models are similar in height, but the springs in the Sports are simply tuned for a tighter suspension. Once I jump into a Sport, I may consider lowering springs from Livernois.

As to the original thread, I think the 11-15 models still look great! In fact, the fronts look a little more sporty (maybe aerodynamic). I'll be buying the 16-17 model though to get the updated styling though.

What do I know though? I still own a '14 Honda Pilot! LOL

Interesting point to consider. From what I've read online, the Sports and other models are similar in height, but the springs in the Sports are simply tuned for a tighter suspension. Once I jump into a Sport, I may consider lowering springs from Livernois.

As to the original thread, I think the 11-15 models still look great! In fact, the fronts look a little more sporty (maybe aerodynamic). I'll be buying the 16-17 model though to get the updated styling though.

What do I know though? I still own a '14 Honda Pilot! LOL
The Sport actually sits lower than the other trims right out of the factory. That is by design.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Sport actually sits lower than the other trims right out of the factory. That is by design.

Peter

That's what I originally thought, but couldn't confirm through the specs I found online. This is one comparison for the 2016s from MSN Autos (below). I'm not taking it for 100% truth just because it's no the internet though. :)

If you have more accurate info, I'd love to see it. I was hoping the Sport had a lower stance (plus wider tires - 275's or 295's).

Base FWD Sport 4WD XLT 4WD
Width (In.) 78.9 in. 78.9 in. 78.9 in.
Height (In.) 70.0 in. 71.0 in. 71.0 in.
Length (In.) 198.3 in. 198.3 in. 198.3 in.
Curb Weight 4443 lbs 4901 lbs 4629 lbs
Wheelbase 112.8 in. 112.8 in. 112.8 in.
Track Front 67 in. 67 in. 67 in.
Track Rear 67 in. 67 in. 67 in.
Grnd Clearance 7.8 in. 8.3 in. 8.3 in.

Back