• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer is freezing!!

LexExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Limited Explorer
While I do love my new 2016 Explorer, the cold air coming in from the center console and under the seats is crazy! I have a 99 Wrangler with a soft top that lets less cold air then my brand new Explorer. Has anyone else, who lives in a cold climate noticed this? I am going to have it looked at when I take it in for an oil change to see if there is something missing from the undercarriage that is allowing so much air flow in to the cabin.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While I do love my new 2016 Explorer, the cold air coming in from the center console and under the seats is crazy! I have a 99 Wrangler with a soft top that lets less cold air then my brand new Explorer. Has anyone else, who lives in a cold climate noticed this? I am going to have it looked at when I take it in for an oil change to see if there is something missing from the undercarriage that is allowing so much air flow in to the cabin.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Are you sure the cold air isn't from the heating/cooling system? I don't see how outside air can enter the cabin other than through the vents. I don't recall another complaint like this in ll the time I've been a member here. There have been complaints about the time it takes some Explorers to heat up.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Are you sure the cold air isn't from the heating/cooling system? I don't see how outside air can enter the cabin other than through the vents. I don't recall another complaint like this in ll the time I've been a member here. There have been complaints about the time it takes some Explorers to heat up.

Peter

Definitely not from the heating/cooling system. I can be 25 minutes into a drive, the heat is blowing nice and warm, but freezing air is coming up through the center console and from under the seats. I've owned a lot of cars in my life and never experienced something like this. Maybe I got the refrigerated center console option! lol

Definitely not from the heating/cooling system. I can be 25 minutes into a drive, the heat is blowing nice and warm, but freezing air is coming up through the center console and from under the seats. I've owned a lot of cars in my life and never experienced something like this. Maybe I got the refrigerated center console option! lol

Refrigerated Center Console! Hahahahahahaha
That's a good one! It's been in the (-F) here in MA for the last week. I took the Explorer out this weekend and didn't notice any cold air coming out the center or under the seat!

Strange. Maybe you have the heat on in the front cabin, and the AC on in the rear cabin??

Strange. Maybe you have the heat on in the front cabin, and the AC on in the rear cabin??

I don't think the Heating and AC system on this cars are so sophisticated as to having to system. There's no way that you could have heat and AC on at the same time in one system.

I don't think the Heating and AC system on this cars are so sophisticated as to having to system. There's no way that you could have heat and AC on at the same time in one system.

Yes, you can.

Oh wow. Can you educate me on this? I thought this was "like" a home. You can have separate zones with different set temp but not different modes. As in Heat/AC

Thanks

It's called duel climate control. Standard on the Limited. I had it in my 2011 Limited, and have it again with my XLT.

I bet either passenger side of the dual controls is on cold or the rear system is set to rear controls only and it's got A/C on cold. I have seen that before.

Usually after a certain -F temp the A/C wont come on, so it's maybe bringing in fresh cold air.

I would have the dealer check on this. In one of my past cars (89 Conquest) the rubber boot that seals the shifter off from the floor area broke and allowed a ton of air to enter the cabin. You could also hear it coming in from the floor area.

Do you hear air coming in or whistling?

Does the amount of cold air increase with speed driven?

Does it sound louder in the cabin than usual?

Best of luck,

I don't think I do, but I will check when I head out to lunch. I am pretty sure that is coming from the undercarriage because when I open the center console I can put my hands in there and feel freezing air coming up from the bottom.

I would have the dealer check on this. In one of my past cars (89 Conquest) the rubber boot that seals the shifter off from the floor area broke and allowed a ton of air to enter the cabin. You could also hear it coming in from the floor area.

Do you hear air coming in or whistling?

Does the amount of cold air increase with speed driven?

Does it sound louder in the cabin than usual?

Best of luck,

I was thinking it may be some kind of rubber seal myself. However, I do not hear any noise coming in or whistling. I am do for an oil change, so I will just have them take a look when they have it on the lift.

The weather was -25 degC in my part of the world this week end, that's -13 F to you. My 16 sport started up via remote and warmed up nicely. I'd say defiantly have it checked out as it will probably affect your a/c come summer time.

I was thinking it may be some kind of rubber seal myself. However, I do not hear any noise coming in or whistling. I am do for an oil change, so I will just have them take a look when they have it on the lift.
Good luck with this issue and please keep us in the loop. :thumbsup:

Peter

Back