Anyone ever dump their EX Sport due to their commute to work? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone ever dump their EX Sport due to their commute to work?

Any good apps people use to track mileage adn stuff? I just downloaded Fuelly and will give it a whirl.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any good apps people use to track mileage adn stuff? I just downloaded Fuelly and will give it a whirl.
I use Fuelly on my desktop.

Peter

I just accepted a new job offer and will be commuting a great deal now. 85 miles each day ( that's only work) in rush hour traffic. And i only get about 295 per tank so safe to say i will be filling up a lot.

I am going to see the first 3-4 months how much i am spending on gas ect. Luckily gas is the cheapest it's been in nearly 10 years IIRC so that's good

You should have negotiated for a company car! I just started a new job this week. 2 mile drive to work, but I have company Explorer.

If you have a lot of stop and go for a long time on a daily commute it can add up. I only get about 15 mpg in heavy stop and go. Highway is manageable at closer to 22 mpg. Big difference.

I have been using an app called Road Trip for years and love it. Check it out.

You should have negotiated for a company car! I just started a new job this week. 2 mile drive to work, but I have company Explorer.

No this company doesn't do that. It's basically a carer change for me so i am starting low down the pole to work my way up. WOuld be nice though.

I will try a month with the tune..a month without and compare

My best advice for Pup and anyone else changing their driving patterns is wait and see! I average around 19mpg in my sport long-term (including warm-ups in the winter and a LOT of short trips since I don't have a commute) but I'm often pleasantly surprised to get over 20 on trips, even 22-23 sometimes!

One of the biggest factors I have found is traffic. Without it I can cruise at 80 and rarely get much better than 20mpg. With traffic keeping me in the 60-70 range I see 21+, and if I'm doing a long trip on back roads I routinely see 22-23. So the traffic you're talking about, as long as it's not stop and go, may actually help.

As for the tune, it could go either way. Run for a month with it and if you're not happy, try running a month without. There's nothing like real-world results to tell the story.

Good luck! (And I agree with others that I'd be hard pressed to give up the comfort of the Ex...)

Sounds like what I deal with M-F. I live in Raynham and work in Braintree. It's about 25 miles door to door but between the backroads and the traffic on Rt. 24, I average around 19-20 mpg in my Pilot. I fill 'er up every 4-5 days (depending on how much I drive - like the occasional trip to Providence,RI).

I'm hoping the Explorer Sport will average about the same but offer better acceleration than my Pilot. The Pilot has a 21 gallon capacity though.

I'd look at vehicles with better mileage, but I need seating for 5-7 on a regular basis.

I wish we had 21 gal tank...18 is just too small

I wish we had 21 gal tank...18 is just too small

A car this large should have 22 - 24 gallon tank. Even my Murano has a 22 gallon tank. It was done to reduce weight and increase fuel economy.

A car this large should have 22 - 24 gallon tank. Even my Murano has a 22 gallon tank. It was done to reduce weight and increase fuel economy.

I mean what's another 3 gal...fuel economy won't hurt at all if any

I mean what's another 3 gal...fuel economy won't hurt at all if any

Very true! Maybe it's a space issue? Either way, a 20+ gallon tank would make more sense.

Gas costs next to nothing right now and probably wont for the next few years. This is the best time to own a vehicle that gets low mileage.

I just accepted a new job offer and will be commuting a great deal now. 85 miles each day ( that's only work) in rush hour traffic. And i only get about 295 per tank so safe to say i will be filling up a lot.

I am going to see the first 3-4 months how much i am spending on gas ect. Luckily gas is the cheapest it's been in nearly 10 years IIRC so that's good

you should estimate how much you would spend based on what you are driving now and spending now. It would get you in the ballpark.

However, based on what you have and it having a tune I would speculate gas really isn't a priority. ;) If you have the means to do it, get a gasser for work and use the Ex for enjoyment.

Best of luck with the new job.

Gas costs next to nothing right now and probably wont for the next few years. This is the best time to own a vehicle that gets low mileage.

Agreed. If i was paying 3.23 for 93 and not 2.15 like i did today..MUCH differnt sroty. Only cost 36 to fill up...would have been $20 MORE per tank 2-3 years ago

6 fills a month at $120 more is a huge chunk

2014 Sport: My commute is 44 miles each way. Half of which is on I-95 in the DC suburbs, meaning bumper to bumper stupidity for those not familiar with DC traffic. I still average about 20 mpg and therefore 360 miles per tank.

My other car is a Lincoln LS (V8), 19-20 mpg commute.

I much prefer driving my Explorer Sport. Far more comfortable.

I agree the Explorer is an extremely comfortable drive. Would like a larger tank. But how much extra weight would a 22 gallon tank create that would cause much of a decrease in mpg? Of course if they find several ways to cut weight, it would add up to an increase in mpg. Still would like a larger tank. Explorer gets better mileage than my V6 Ranger.

crrobbins

2014 Sport: My commute is 44 miles each way. Half of which is on I-95 in the DC suburbs, meaning bumper to bumper stupidity for those not familiar with DC traffic. I still average about 20 mpg and therefore 360 miles per tank.

My other car is a Lincoln LS (V8), 19-20 mpg commute.

I much prefer driving my Explorer Sport. Far more comfortable.

You get 20 in bumper to bumper? I may as well when i detune

I was getting like 280-300 MAX per tank..now with 3 weeks into my new job..i am getting 330-340 due to it being all highway. About 18.5 avg per tank. That' with stop and go traffic a lot of the days.

Will be trying detuned after the 4th week and will compare

I may get shunned for this, but if you are really worried about it, go back to stock and run 87. I have tried multiple tanks on 93 and multiple on 87. 87 is .50 cheaper a gallon here. I haven't noticed a difference in MPG or every day driving performance. I am getting 18.4MPG in DC/MD/VA traffic.

If I plan to run it at the track, run a long trip (300 or more miles), or tow I would put in 93 and pull the battery to reset the ECU. I haven't had that issue yet though.

Also plan to get a Livernois tune eventually. I am interested in trying the 87 tune and 93 tune. Maybe run 87 M-F and 93 on weekend fill ups.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I may get shunned for this, but if you are really worried about it, go back to stock and run 87. I have tried multiple tanks on 93 and multiple on 87. 87 is .50 cheaper a gallon here. I haven't noticed a difference in MPG or every day driving performance. I am getting 18.4MPG in DC/MD/VA traffic.
Same here but I used 91 instead of 93. The difference here between 87 and 91 is .59/gal (CDN). Definitely not worth it IMO.

Peter

Back