• Register Today It's free!

Buying a 2016 or 2017 (or later)?

MAFordFan

Reaction score
City, State
Southeastern MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Mustang
So, I'm "buying my time" before I buy an Explorer Sport. Seems some features of the 2017 are worth waiting for, especially since there aren't that many incentives for the 2016's (some, but I'm not impressed personally).

So, a question for everyone. is it worth waiting on the 2017 considering the minor price differences?

Any details on what/when the next major Explorer refresh might be?

Scott T.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, I'm "buying my time" before I buy an Explorer Sport. Seems some features of the 2017 are worth waiting for, especially since there aren't that many incentives for the 2016's (some, but I'm not impressed personally).

So, a question for everyone. is it worth waiting on the 2017 considering the minor price differences?

Any details on what/when the next major Explorer refresh might be?

Scott T.
The general consensus is that the redesign will come in the 2019 or possibly 2020 model. There are posts on that. The only change that I'm currently aware of for the 2017 Explorer is the addition of Sync 3 to replace Sync 2 and 3 new colours replacing 3 current ones. The orders for the 2017 Explorer will start being accepted on March 14th with production scheduled to begin June 6th. We are currently waiting for the Order Guide to be posted here to see what is available.

Peter

The general consensus is that the redesign will come in the 2019 or possibly 2020 model. There are posts on that. The only change that I'm currently aware of for the 2017 Explorer is the addition of Sync 3 to replace Sync 2 and 3 new colours replacing 3 current ones. The orders for the 2017 Explorer will start being accepted on March 14th with production scheduled to begin June 6th. We are currently waiting for the Order Guide to be posted here to see what is available.

Peter

Thanks for the info, Peter.

So, I'm "buying my time" before I buy an Explorer Sport. Scott T.

It's actually "biding my time"

bide one's time, to wait for a favorable opportunity:
He wanted to ask for a raise, but bided his time.

I hate it when people use phrases incorrectly.

It's actually "biding my time"

bide one's time, to wait for a favorable opportunity:
He wanted to ask for a raise, but bided his time.

I hate it when people use phrases incorrectly.

Actually, I had the right phrase in mind:

buy time - to postpone an event hoping that the situation will improve.

Examples: You are just stalling to buy time. Maybe I can buy some time by asking the judge for a continuance.

I hate when people correct me when I'm right. :)

Lmao!

I dropped out of High School so I didn't have to deal with this nonsense ^^^^^ and here it is! [MENTION=168816]Sgt1411[/MENTION] you got popcorn bro? Lmao

Don't worry. I'm just having fun. I'm new to the forum anyway. I just couldn't resist some fun sarcasm. :)

I dropped out of High School so I didn't have to deal with this nonsense ^^^^^ and here it is! [MENTION=168816]Sgt1411[/MENTION] you got popcorn bro? Lmao

Im laughing at your reply it was very clever as I understood exactly what you meant when you said "Buying my time"......well done!

Anyways we have digressed from the original post.

IMHO wait for a 17 unless the 16 clearance offers are just too good to pass up!

Sorry for suggesting an alternative to a fellow poster.
Hey, no problem at all. Just pointing out that there is a thread on that "Appearance Package" in case anyone wishes to check it out. :):thumbsup:

Peter

Currently having this dilemma myself - our 2012 is to be replaced at some point this year. There seem to be a lot of 2017 Platinums out there looking for buyers, with some pretty great deals. And, having spent a while at the dealership this weekend going over the vehicle, it's a sizable step up from our 2012 Limited. Those massaging seats!

But I think we'll wait for the 2017. Even though Sync2 is much improved from the (oh so painful) early days, I'd rather have Sync3 and the prospect of CarPlay.

Sync 2 is an improvement over the previous version, but it's behind the industry. Sync 3 is apparently a dramatic improvement.

Given that we're only a month or so out from SOP on 2017s, at this point waiting is a no-brainer. For me, anyway.

BTW, I think "bide time" and "buy time" can both work, but "buy time" is what it sounds like - you're doing or trading something in return for more time, whereas "biding time" is more or less waiting.

"I told a few jokes at the beginning of the meeting to buy time until the presenter arrived."

"He decided to bide his time making the plane reservation because he thought fares might decrease."

;)

Back