Sync 3 | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a little teaser

My 2016 with a SYNC 3 System Installed...I still need to get a GPS antenna for it and do some other maintenance type stuff.

IMG_0104.jpg

Wow thats impressive.....why a new GPS antenna?......can't use the MFT one?

Did they change the antenna type or just the connection to the newer SYNC3 APIM?

So now you just log into syncmyride with the new APIM and you're good to go.

Your the first to do it successfully on this forum.

Here is a little teaser

My 2016 with a SYNC 3 System Installed...I still need to get a GPS antenna for it and do some other maintenance type stuff.

Not that this isn't cool, but for me, the cost and lack of manufacturer support make it a non-starter.

Did you have to pay retail, or did the seller provide it free, or at a discount?

SYNC3 uses a "real" GPS antenna connected directly to the APIM. Going out on a limb but I suspect this is being done because of all the "tracking" issues some have experienced with the MFT unit. Those issues were generally caused by the GPSM which is a GPS receiver and then translates and sends that data over CAN-BUS to the APIM. Now its just direct and built into the APIM. I also believe once I have a GPS antenna installed I will need to disconnect the GPSM which sits behing the instrument cluster.

I picked up the unit from a wrecked vehicle. It was too good of a deal to pass up.

I spent a while researching the programming I would have to change, which I still don't fully comprehend. I don't believe any seller of these would either based on the fact Ford doesn't make this information public. If you are putting one in a vehicle that does not have SYNC3 as an option its trial and error testing with the programming.

The hardest part of the actual install was cutting and modifying the mounting brackets. The mounting brackets from the MFT (SYNC2) screen don't transfer to the SYNC3 screen.

Today I have to pull error codes and see if anything is coming up.

Still need to research the programming data more as well.

I picked up the unit from a wrecked vehicle. It was too good of a deal to pass up.
A much better deal

I spent a while researching the programming I would have to change, which I still don't fully comprehend. I don't believe any seller of these would either based on the fact Ford doesn't make this information public. If you are putting one in a vehicle that does not have SYNC3 as an option its trial and error testing with the programming.
That is what I was wondering about.

On one hand, it's like putting a new audio/video head unit into a vehicle. But the contrast is that the factory unit is so integrated into the systems that without knowledge of how it integrates with the various control systems (HVAC, Comm, Entertainment) and assurances that all the connectors would match up, a person could end up with a $2,000 brick.

SYNC3 uses a "real" GPS antenna connected directly to the APIM.

First, congrats on this accomplishment!
Second, I remember that guy on SHO forum mentioned as well he needed GPS antenna to make navigation work.

Jason, did it work after you just plug it or configurations were needed?

First, congrats on this accomplishment!
Second, I remember that guy on SHO forum mentioned as well he needed GPS antenna to make navigation work.

Jason, did it work after you just plug it or configurations were needed?

Today I have to pull error codes and see if anything is coming up.

Still need to research the programming data more as well.

The only error code I currently have is the missing GPS.

Installed a $10 GPS antenna today in the space used by the GPSM which I removed. Tracks great so far. Only drove around the block though. Will report back after I use it more.

Installed a $10 GPS antenna today in the space used by the GPSM which I removed. Tracks great so far. Only drove around the block though. Will report back after I use it more.

When you say real GPS antenna you mean one that houses the GPS Receiver in the antenna itself and sends the data back direct to the APIM, no module in between right?

The ones used on the cop cars are from AntennaPlus, low profile antennas with 12 channel Trimble GPS receivers inside.

When you say real GPS antenna you mean one that houses the GPS Receiver in the antenna itself and sends the data back direct to the APIM, no module in between right?

The ones used on the cop cars are from AntennaPlus, low profile antennas with 12 channel Trimble GPS receivers inside.

The GPS receiver is built onto the APIM mother board (Would guess its under the silver shield). You just need an antenna.

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,242

The GPS receiver is built onto the APIM mother board (Would guess its under the silver shield). You just need an antenna.

JMR, could you move all of this to a seperate thread?
I know some might not agree... but this build deserves a thread of its own.

I may just do that. I have some more experimenting to do. I am getting a non nav unit to play with on the bench as well. The hardest part of this trying to decipher the programming data as it varies greatly from model to model. I have to play with stuff on the bench and see what changes.

Just an update on this. Adding SYNC3 seems to have caused some network issues. Some settings in the left side of the intrument cluster randomly "grey" out and I can't change them. I believe I have the first half of the data pretty much set in the SYNC3 apim however there is a second set of data that no one out side of Ford seems to know what it is for and different vehicle lines that currently run SYNC3 have totally different data in them. It would appear this project may get bumped until a 17 model with SYNC3 comes out so I can look at the Explorer data.

Good idea......

No Sync 3 in 2016 Explorer

I was thinking of buying a 2016 Limited, Sport or Platinum Explorer but Sync 3 is not available on any trim level of the 2016 Explorer. What was Ford thinking. The 2016 is a mid cycle refresh. Sync 3 is available on the 2016 Escape and Edge.

I was thinking of buying a 2016 Limited, Sport or Platinum Explorer but Sync 3 is not available on any trim level of the 2016 Explorer. What was Ford thinking. The 2016 is a mid cycle refresh. Sync 3 is available on the 2016 Escape and Edge.
This has been discussed here many times. Sync 3 is scheduled for the 2017 Explorer. Not all Ford products received Sync 3 at the same time. Your thread has been merged with this one that I found using the forum's 'Search' function.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...and the interior lights are still not LED! :eek:

Back