Clanking noise in front suspension - VIDEO INSIDE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clanking noise in front suspension - VIDEO INSIDE

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
2014 Ford Explorer Sport with 41,600 miles. Front struts and mounts replaced at 38k as the struts were leaking, FYI.

I made mention of this noise in an earlier thread and it's gotten worse. When the struts were replaced, the noise did not change, so I think those are unrelated to what's going on here.

Condition: When I drive over dips in the road, where two sections of concrete meet and there is a dip, I get a knock low in the suspension from time to time. It's metal on metal. When it does it, you can "feel" it in the steering wheel as if something were just slightly loose in the front end. Further, when I sit in the car and rock the steering wheel back and forth, you can hear the knocking in the right front.

I took a video (link below) of me standing by the car, with the motor off. You can hear the knocking sound I am talking about as I rock the steering wheel about 2" to the right and then left quickly. Interesting that if the motor is on, the noise is almost not there.

What the heck is making that sound? Sway bar link? Tie rod? I know I can take it to the dealer. Time hasn't been on my side, so I thought I would see if someone knew here.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums...0-CF97-41EA-A568-4DC5F5F43ECA_zpsklqiuln1.mp4

Thank you,
Shumax

Search my user name. This is the front control link issue, or something like that. I posted about this back in 2014 with the parts and repair bill. Good luck.

Search my user name. This is the front control link issue, or something like that. I posted about this back in 2014 with the parts and repair bill. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's not that issue, though. I took it to the dealer since this post and they gave it a major shake down and said it's basically "slop" in the steering linkage. They rationalized it by the fact that, when you start it, it goes away as the "system" is loaded.

I'm skeptical. The noise over bumps is probably just the START of the links going out. The side to side stuff? Not sure. Could be "slop," or something else.

She drives straight down the road and relatively smooth - no shimmy, so..?

Thanks,
Shumax

Back