Differential Shock Absorber | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differential Shock Absorber

I had to take mine off after I did my lift. Always wondered if a longer one was made.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to take mine off after I did my lift. Always wondered if a longer one was made.
That's a REALLY good point. Don't recall fifth shock travel and valving mentioned for lifts or drops before. :scratch:

Well the damper doesn't extend or contract a lot with up and down movement of the axle. So I imagine a really creative person could engineer an extension So the stock size shock would still work with an average lift.

Sent from my LGL15G using Forum Runner

Mine was completely shot when I removed it. Is the 5th shock a gas pressurized unit?

Mine was completely shot when I removed it. Is the 5th shock a gas pressurized unit?

Mine isn't, couldn't tell you if it's original but it probably is.

You could rig up an extension for the mounting system as mentioned above; I'd prefer to custom fit a Watt's Link, it would do the same thing but better.

Now here's something I've read about the damper and am curious about. Guys that are lifted, have to remove them because they no longer function properly and will extend too far anyway.

An extension to the bracket might not even be necessary.

They could probably measure old vs new distance, then call Monroe and have them look up what would fit length wise. If you have an afternoon to spend you can almost DIY by just varying the last two digits on the following URL, keeping in mind that the travel will automatically be longer but bushing size and bolt diameter aren't necessarily deal breakers, depends on one's willingness to mod a bit:
http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/SC2958

Mine isn't, couldn't tell you if it's original but it probably is.

You could rig up an extension for the mounting system as mentioned above; I'd prefer to custom fit a Watt's Link, it would do the same thing but better.

Look at crown Victoria interceptors , they came with a watts link setup , I have been looking at it myself

An extension to the bracket might not even be necessary.

They could probably measure old vs new distance, then call Monroe and have them look up what would fit length wise. If you have an afternoon to spend you can almost DIY by just varying the last two digits on the following URL, keeping in mind that the travel will automatically be longer but bushing size and bolt diameter aren't necessarily deal breakers, depends on one's willingness to mod a bit:
http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/SC2958

Interesting. It would be nice to figure out what shock would be best for guys with a TT and Shackle and or AAL since that's so popular.

I'm going to go through this and see what I can find. I searched "SC29" and it brings up all of what may be possible to work far as I can tell.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/Part-Search

Well in my non professional opinion I'd say this one is the closest. Not sure it will work or not though.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/SC2941

Yes but its coil sprung instead of leaf

You could use the diff cover for the Watt's Link central pivot mount though couldn't you?
Or does it mount to the diff housing?

They have a boss cast above the pinion for the stud that the center link mounts on

They have a boss cast above the pinion for the stud that the center link mounts on

That's unfortunate, otherwise you could have just used the cover.

It's still relatively easy to make a mount that bolts on where the cover does.

The angle it will be different, different from horizontal, so the functionality will be diminished.

i replaced all for of myb shocks on my V6 95 ford explorer with bilstein shocks and noticed a huge difference in handling and control. i haven't replaced the 5th shock yet but i noticed that turning at low or fast speed my rear tires don't get enough traction. i was told repare the 5th shock will help fix this issue

^ @Koda - It's not pressurized (because is designed for horizontal mounting it has a special "cell" structure).

Has anyone found a good replacement for the 2" lifted trucks? I've been tossing the idea around of throwing one back on to see if it makes a difference. I can't seem to find the 639 I think it was that trailmaster used to make so I'm guessing they stopped making it.

Back