Shift to Park Warning | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift to Park Warning

Went with TSB info for this during normal Works service; dealer changed my shifter and its fixed. Service rep at desk said he knew of the issue & when i offered pics he said no need.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Went with TSB info for this during normal Works service; dealer changed my shifter and its fixed. Service rep at desk said he knew of the issue & when i offered pics he said no need.
Must be getting near the end of your factory warranty. Getting a lot of your issues fixed I see. :):thumbsup:

Peter

2 weeks left!:eek:
... and have to go back for stuff they forgot.

I recently had my shifter replaced. When the lights are on should the selected drive be lit up orange? Currently all of my lights are blue regardless of if its in park or drive. I honestly can't remember if your current drive is supposed to be lit differently.

I recently had my shifter replaced. When the lights are on should the selected drive be lit up orange? Currently all of my lights are blue regardless of if its in park or drive. I honestly can't remember if your current drive is supposed to be lit differently.

Whatever gear you are in should be orange

Okay. Mine all stay blue on the center console. The dash is orange.

I think they forgot to plug something back in.

I don't believe the light changes on the centre console. Only in the dash.

Peter

Orange lit gear position marker - only in the center drivers cluster display that shows the current gear.
When mine was acting up, no orange in the gear display until shifter button jabbed 3 or 4 times.

I'm so sorry I didn't see this sooner. I thought u meant the dash. The center console has no lights I think. Just the dash lights orange with what gear it's in

I'm so sorry I didn't see this sooner. I thought u meant the dash. The center console has no lights I think. Just the dash lights orange with what gear it's in
My console shows the gear selections in a WHITE light. I believe my previous Explorer did as well.

Peter

I received my new shifter assembly today. I haven't had time to swap it in, but did get a chance to look it over really well. Assuming that the new assembly is similar in design to the old one I can definitely say the problem lies in the assembly base. On the new assembly, the button on the shifter knob actuates a spring loaded mechanical lever, that is it, it has no electrical function. The only wires go to the select shift +/- button. However that lever is connected to a spring loaded plunger that has two wings on it that engage the detents for each position. The park position is guarded by a solenoid actuated gate. I assume it requires the brake signal to actuate the solenoid to release the guard allowing you to move out of park. On the opposite side in the park position, the plunger wing engages a metal flat spring. Above that flat spring there is a tiny push switch. When the shifter button is released, the plunger moves into the detents and in the process pushes that flat spring up which engages the push switch. I am assuming that completes the circuit that powers the dash light as well as the shift to park message.

When I get the other one out I will be able to make a comparison and figure out the root failure that is causing the issue.

Finished putting the new shifter assembly in today. Took a little less than two hours. The hardest part was getting the console top assembly back into place as the wire bundle in back gets in the way.

I looked at the old part and the only noticeable difference between the two is that the new one has an extra bit of plastic under the metal spring lever for the park switch. It keeps the spring lever from sagging. Not sure if that is the only change, but it is the only one I saw.

You can see the change in this set of pictures.

Old shifter
Zk77yJnK1U8fAv8Dya6HJMlHllG8m13SJkl2=w1155-h653-no.jpg

New shifter
_DkFGk74CvbQWEyS-HUaXXjGIQir5kCOuUpE=w1155-h653-no.jpg

Finished putting the new shifter assembly in today.
So I broke down today and did the same repair. I concur with all you said. Nothing but a mechanical linkage from the knob to the electrical switch that's mounted to the larger assembly. Hard to believe that the little Omron switch is the culprit but I can't see how its anything else. After I adjusted the cable, the problem did go away - nearly - but not totally. And I know that the switch is mechanically "switching" as I could use the knob button and hear the switch "click" and still see the STP display. If I could give a tip for this repair it would be that you don't have to fully remove the console side covers - just unclip most of the clips. And that's only so you can get to two screws holding down the cigarette (12v) outlet bracket in place.

But I do have a glitch / question. I found a 2 inch plastic "clip" lodged under a cable located in the area under the front cup holder. I'm not convinced that I had anything to do with it or if it was the dealer who got into this space a few months ago.... regardless, anyone have any clue as to what this red plastic clip could be used for??

http://www.gday.com/misc/fclip.jpg

-mick

Last edited:

"Not in Park"

been getting this message every once in awhile when i park and put the shifter in park. "not in park" so it wont let me turn the car off. I shift it back to drive then back to park and it goes away.
I did a search and came up with nothing...
anyone else experiencing this issue??? if so what was the fix?
Thank You
Richard

been getting this message every once in awhile when i park and put the shifter in park. "not in park" so it wont let me turn the car off. I shift it back to drive then back to park and it goes away.
Thank You
Richard

There's a TSB to fix that. Don't recall the details. It's been discussed on here, search for it. Take it to your dealer.

There's a TSB to fix that. Don't recall the details. It's been discussed on here, search for it. Take it to your dealer.

Gonna look now for that TSB. I did do a search, i said that in my post.

Thank You
Richard
I've merged your thread with this existing one. The only fix seems to be to replaced the shifter. For TSB info see;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3364343&postcount=145

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank You
Richard

The message says "shift to park", not "not in park".. that is why you didn't find the thread when you searched.

If outside ofbwarranty, about a $130 part. Read through the thread, I listed exactly how to duplicate it to the dealer if they need to see it for themselves but most should know about the problem now

Back