Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors

Resolution?

I had this occur on my 2011, which I got rid of in November, 2015. The 2014 Sport that I have now just kicked on the Advance Trac / Terrain Management lights last night. I restarted a couple of times and it cleared.

What was the resolution/fix for this condition?

Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont think we know for sure yet.

Leading theories are:
Malfunctioning electronic throttle body - try cleaning it or replace it
Failing wheel speed sensors - brake dust buildup, try cleaning it or replace it
Outdated firmware on the ABS module - get update from Ford (didn't solve anything for me)

I had this occur on my 2011, which I got rid of in November, 2015. The 2014 Sport that I have now just kicked on the Advance Trac / Terrain Management lights last night. I restarted a couple of times and it cleared.

What was the resolution/fix for this condition?

Shumax

For us - since we had the electronic throttle body replacement done on 2/10/16, this problem has not reoccurred - going on 1 month, driving every day. That also seemed to be the culprit in the article I linked in my previous post. Reprogramming the ABS - for us - did not fix our problem according to the service tech...

The light has not come back on since it went off. I am debating a trip to the dealer as I have a 1,200 mile road trip coming. I just don't want to invest the time going there for them to tell me there are no codes stores, which is what I read will likely be the case.

Thanks for the input!

After having the ABS module reprogrammed, our Explorer went probably 5-6 months before the issue returned one cold icy morning. Hasn't happened again since though, its been another 3 months. But we park the explorer in our cozy garage 99% of the year. Seems to happen for us when the explorer is parked outside overnight through cold and humid or rainy weather.

The first thing the dealership did after running the diagnostics was reprogram the ABS - they said they had a TSB for that. After that they test drove it and the problem happened to them and they had to limp back to the dealership. Then they replaced the throttle body and its been a month with no problems. Like SHUMAX we have a very long trip coming up (750 miles each way) so I am really hoping that fix works!! When it originally happened it was a very cold, snowy/slushy day.

I've cleaned the throttle body, which after 60k miles really wasn't very dirty at all. Three starts later the problem is back. So that doesn't work.

My next step is to suck it up and see if the dealer will read the ABS module's DTC's.

Maybe replacing the throttle body will fix it. Or it's a speed sensor.

TMS fault came back again after 6months this morning right after the car wash.. But this time, no AWD OFF message, and no problems on acceleration. Resetting the engine cleared it off. Any possibilities of wet sensor? I've replaced the ETB last November, Explorer ran without any problems til this morning.

I'm going to inspect a 2013 CPO Limited with ~60K miles in the morning, with the intention of driving it home. After reading through these threads, I'm getting a alarmed. What is the latest on this issue? I do not have time to be running to the dealer trying to find issues that take weeks to resolve.

Question: is ford covering all expenses, including rental/loaner cars, to get this problem fixed on vehicles that are out of warranty??

Thanks...

Welcome to the Forum Brian270.:wave:
To the best of my knowledge, the only items repaired 'free of charge' are recalls. Even TSBs (Technical Services Bulletins) are only free while the vehicle is under warranty (factory or ESP). As for loaners/rentals, they are not supplied by Ford even under the factory warranty. If and when they are supplied it is usually at the dealer's expense unless you have the ESP with 1st day rental option.

Peter

Okay, so I had the terrain management fault today. This was after I cleaned my windows. Usually one restart easily restores AWD but this time, I had it after 3 restarts. The 4th time, it didn't pop up. I keep hearing clunks but I don't know if it's related.

So what actually causes the Terrain Management Fault? What sensors are related to it?

1. Please I need serious help.my ford 2013 explorer limited keeps showing terrain management system faulty , service advance traction, collision warning unavailable and it's stalls and doesn't move fast.Also when you try to engage the transmission (gear) it jerks violent. I have taken it to the accreditated repair center in Nigeria 5 times and each time the car comes back OK, I drive for less than a week same issues comes back...it's embarrassing. .I need help

• Please I need serious help.my ford 2013 explorer limited keeps showing terrain management system faulty , service advance traction, collision warning unavailable and it's stalls and doesn't move fast.Also when you try to engage the transmission (gear) it jerks violent. I have taken it to the accreditated repair center in Nigeria 5 times and each time the car comes back OK, I drive for less than a week same issues comes back...it's embarrassing. .I need help
Welcome to the Forum akim.:wave:
When it comes back from repairs, what does it say that they did to fix it?

Peter

I had this error pop up tonight on my drive. I cycled the key 3 times to no avail.

Took the truck to the gas station, filled and ran through the no touch car wash w/ undercarriage blast. I cycled the key during the wash. The error disappeared and the AWD once again functioned. Drove fine all the way home.

On the way to the gas station I almost got stuck in my driveway (snow) and there was some clunking sounds coming from underneath. I fear the worst.

Hi All,

I picked up my explorer (4WD, XLT, 202A package) 2 days back and today after an automatice system maintanance update, It started showing Terrain managment system fault message on left hand side LCD cluster. After this message TMS dial is no longer working. Has anyone here ran into similar problem?

Thanks,
-Parixit

My 2016 kicked on the terrain management fault after I was briefly stuck in the snow / mud. Thinking I may have mud on a sensor, I took it to the local car wash and got the $10 special with undercarriage wash. Problem solved - (knock on wood).

My 2016 kicked on the terrain management fault after I was briefly stuck in the snow / mud. Thinking I may have mud on a sensor, I took it to the local car wash and got the $10 special with undercarriage wash. Problem solved - (knock on wood).
Welcome to the Forum Steve.:wave:
Thanks for that info.

Peter

Here is something I have discovered about these issues that might help... I have a 2012 explorer that was getting lots of TMS warnings and faults and they were coming up more and more often (daily). The warnings would illuminate when the vehicle was started or shortly after. I would bring the truck into the dealer and there were no codes stored on the system so there was nothing they could do. I also noticed that the truck's battery was low on starting power especially on very cold mornings (I live in Wisconsin). About a month ago I replaced the battery (another topic but the 2012's oem battery (size 59) imo is undersized so I replaced with a size 65 which fits). Since the battery was replaced there have been only one warning over the last couple months. My guess is that the low voltage of the old battery may have been contributing to the sensor or computer errors.

A bad battery will often light up the dash like a Christmas tree. That has been reported several times.:)

Peter

Hi All,

I picked up my explorer (4WD, XLT, 202A package) 2 days back and today after an automatice system maintanance update, It started showing Terrain managment system fault message on left hand side LCD cluster. After this message TMS dial is no longer working. Has anyone here ran into similar problem?

Thanks,
-Parixit
I am having the same problem along with check AWD and starting system fault. How did you get yours fixed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am having the same problem along with check AWD and starting system fault. How did you get yours fixed
Welcome to the Forum Mike. :wave:
I don't think I'd sit there waiting for a response from member parixit. The last time he was on was August 31, 2011.
Going through some of the threads it seems that a few have had luck with clearing this up by having the throttle body replaced.

Peter

Back