Oil Change interval | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

Got it. Thanks, Peter!

I highly recommend an early first oil change. we did ours at 2K miles.

after that I go quite a ways. last one was at 20% remaining. I will eventually narrow in on a cycle for the explorer on my DD car I go all the way to OLM goes off - but half way through the cycle I replace the oil filter.

I time that with an app on my phone where I log the MPG and etc. (ACar if curious - there are some other good ones out there)

reasoning - even though the engine was run on a test stand, then shipped off to be installed in the car, where it was refiled and run again after the car was built. It has sat and there could be any amount of shavings and the like in the oil filter. So mostly it's to take out the filter, but also to put new clean oil in the car after a decent break in period.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only problem is that it's the marketing folks that set the OLMS recommendation not the engineers...

Sorry that's not true......I have been in meetings with the Ford Police Advisory Board when we had the EcoBoost Team explain the differences in the OLMS algorithm between retail and police severe duty.

You guys that think Ford's engineers have anything to do with the marketing façade you are not living in the real world. Nowhere on the planet does a for-profit company allow engineers in front of any customers and they darn sure don’t let them write any customer-facing material.

You guys that think Ford's engineers have anything to do with the marketing façade you are not living in the real world. Nowhere on the planet does a for-profit company allow engineers in front of any customers and they darn sure don’t let them write any customer-facing material.

slowly raises hand.

I wrote quite a bit for manuals back in the day. Yes what I wrote was given to editors and the like - but I was one of the 3 final approvals.

Also in this particular case. OLM.

The OLM is developed out of the commercial world - once proved useful it was noted that it could provide a solution to some warranty issues.

Now here you have to stop and thank the EU. Back in the 90's some of the high end cars in the EU started to deploy OLM systems so as to have a way to limit their "no cost MX" deals with their lease systems. Yep that's right it was to cheapen the cost of MX for the maker who agreed to it in the lease. BUT - they also didn't want to have to deal with end of lease warranty repairs either.

So Hey - over in commercial truck land this nifty computer model allows for running the oil way longer . . . . . . YOu know if I did 4 less oil changes over the lease life of a Merc S560 It would save ___________ . . . . .

Once they did it they also turned around and the dealer shops said - you know by doing less oil changes I pay less in oil disposal fees and other crap . . . .

double win.

Then American car companies started to see it working and followed suit. Today you have it on nearly every car made because it's in the computer of every engine made.

The ECU in your explorer ends up in a Lincoln that will have paid MX - might as well turn on the system for both. OH and GM does it to and FC, and merc . . . . . COmpetition is occasionally a wonderful thing.

So yes engineers developed the system and it took years for marketing and finance to realize the full usefulness of it. Fast forward to today it also allows companies to say over the average life of the vehicle it uses _____ less oil in lubrication.

NO engineering doesn't always get the final say in something coming to production. But they get far more say that you seem to realize.

On an my new vehicles, I do an early oil change at the 1,000 mile mark.

On the Explorers, after the early oil change, and swap to a full synthetic, I change the oil every 7,500 miles. OLM says about 25% remaining. With over 425,000 Explorer miles since 2003, I've never had to add oil in any of the Fords, between changes.

On my fun weekend fast-toys, I do the same with the added step of Used Oil Analysis. The UOA's tell me my strategy is working.

I have a leased explorer that I have no intention of buying at end of my lease. I currently have 7,250 miles on my truck and about 4 months of useage the clock thing shows I have 23pct remaining on the oil life. I got a thing in the mail saying that I should be do for my 5k oil change which I get there gonna probably push for shorter intervals. What is the realistic most I should/could go between oil changes? I normally baby my cars using Amsoil full synthetic every 5000k but I have no intention of babying this thing but I also do t want to be a dick and screw over a future owner.

I have a leased explorer that I have no intention of buying at end of my lease. I currently have 7,250 miles on my truck and about 4 months of useage the clock thing shows I have 23pct remaining on the oil life. I got a thing in the mail saying that I should be do for my 5k oil change which I get there gonna probably push for shorter intervals. What is the realistic most I should/could go between oil changes? I normally baby my cars using Amsoil full synthetic every 5000k but I have no intention of babying this thing but I also do t want to be a dick and screw over a future owner.

Just follow the OLM. I change mine @ about 20% remaining. I had a few oil reports completed and they all said I could extend the change interval. It said I could probably go the 10K miles max that Ford recommends, but said not to go beyond what the OLM said. All my changes, besides the first one, have been done between 7500 and 8500 miles will synthetic.

It's up to you, but don't go beyond the OLM recommendation. Maybe down to 10%?

Exactly, they are going to tell you to do it early to make more money. Don't you think it is odd that a dealer says one thing and the service manual says something completely different. It's because the dealers are out to make money.

I happen to get an oil change done at a Goodyear last week and guess what they put on my window for the next change... 3,000 miles or 3 months. I ripped it right down.. the fact that a legit service business is going to try to get you to follow the oil change intervals of the 80s is absurd and I won't return to them just for that.

I've said it many times in this thread.. if you want a FACTUAL answer, sample your oil for the $20 and that will tell you. Or you can just follow the OLM and change it when it tells you to because it is on the conservative side and when you change it when it tells you to, you still have plenty of life on the oil (I say this because I'm had it tested by Blackstone Labs).

Anything else is just an opinion with nothing to back that up with.

My biggest piece of advise, stop asking people on the net for their opinion and get the factual answers straight from the lab...

http://www.blackstone-labs.com

Just follow the OLM. I change mine @ about 20% remaining. I had a few oil reports completed and they all said I could extend the change interval. It said I could probably go the 10K miles max that Ford recommends, but said not to go beyond what the OLM said. All my changes, besides the first one, have been done between 7500 and 8500 miles will synthetic.

It's up to you, but don't go beyond the OLM recommendation. Maybe down to 10%?

When I had mine tested, I changed it with a few % left and they said that I could go another 1,000 miles and then have it retested because the levels were still very good.

HOWEVER, if you go beyond what Ford says, you risk your warranty so I would never recommend going beyond the OLM warnings.

Exactly, they are going to tell you to do it early to make more money. Don't you think it is odd that a dealer says one thing and the service manual says something completely different. It's because the dealers are out to make money.

I happen to get an oil change done at a Goodyear last week and guess what they put on my window for the next change... 3,000 miles or 3 months. I ripped it right down.. the fact that a legit service business is going to try to get you to follow the oil change intervals of the 80s is absurd and I won't return to them just for that.

I've said it many times in this thread.. if you want a FACTUAL answer, sample your oil for the $20 and that will tell you. Or you can just follow the OLM and change it when it tells you to because it is on the conservative side and when you change it when it tells you to, you still have plenty of life on the oil (I say this because I'm had it tested by Blackstone Labs).

Anything else is just an opinion with nothing to back that up with.

My biggest piece of advise, stop asking people on the net for their opinion and get the factual answers straight from the lab...

http://www.blackstone-labs.com

I've had lab tests done on Amsoil that stuff is awesome how long it's good for. Yeah dealers are funny my wife has an outlander Mitsubishi recommends 7,500 miles dealer puts 3,000 miles on the sticker claiming are area in north jersey is tough on the car bla bla bla.

Anyone tested, at blackstone, the synthetic blend that ford uses at close to 10k miles?

Anyone tested, at blackstone, the synthetic blend that ford uses at close to 10k miles?

That's what I use on my Explorer since day 1. I've got 91,000 miles on it now with never an issue with the motor and follow the OLM. Tests are fine up to 10,000 miles.

Granted I'm just 1 person BUT labs don't lie.

That's what I use on my Explorer since day 1. I've got 91,000 miles on it now with never an issue with the motor and follow the OLM. Tests are fine up to 10,000 miles.

Great, my bad, I thought you were using a full synthetic. I've always changed according to the OLM on all my vehicles that have had them. Never used full synthetic and never tested. I figure the manufacturers know what they are doing when they set their standards.

I'll take cover now.

Great, my bad, I thought you were using a full synthetic. I've always changed according to the OLM on all my vehicles that have had them. Never used full synthetic and never tested. I figure the manufacturers know what they are doing when they set their standards.

I'll take cover now.

lol, no reason to take cover. I've always followed the OLM as well on all my vehicles that had them. Only 1 I used a full synthetic which was my 2002 Audi A4 with the 1.8T motor. We sold it at 155,000 miles with no motor problems (don't get me started on the electrical problems we had though over the 9 years). We did use full synthetic on that one though because that motor was known for oil sludge issues. Audi's OLM indicator is strictly a mileage timer, every 10k regardless of age.

I think this is an over simplification of when to change oil based on lab results. Oil changes IMO should be based on the following:

- Type of oil used
- Type of filter used
- Climate, warm or cold
- Driving conditions, stop and go, freeway driving and towing

Lab tests may show that the properties of certain oils don't break down until 10,000 miles, but that does not mean that the oil won't get black or dirty within 5,000 miles. The type of filter will also effect the amount of dirt or debris build up, a better filter will stave it off longer vs low grade filter. I imagine that oil change shops use generally low grade oil with low grade filters. I also think that if you live in the desert with a warm climate, it's probably prudent to change your oil more often and more importantly, if you are idling a lot or driving in stop-and-go traffic that may also warrant a oil change sooner rather than later.

In summary, I don't think it's a one size fits all based on lab results.

I think this is an over simplification of when to change oil based on lab results. Oil changes IMO should be based on the following:

- Type of oil used
- Type of filter used
- Climate, warm or cold
- Driving conditions, stop and go, freeway driving and towing

Lab tests may show that the properties of certain oils don't break down until 10,000 miles, but that does not mean that the oil won't get black or dirty within 5,000 miles. The type of filter will also effect the amount of dirt or debris build up, a better filter will stave it off longer vs low grade filter. I imagine that oil change shops use generally low grade oil with low grade filters. I also think that if you live in the desert with a warm climate, it's probably prudent to change your oil more often and more importantly, if you are idling a lot or driving in stop-and-go traffic that may also warrant a oil change sooner rather than later.

In summary, I don't think it's a one size fits all based on lab results.

And this is exactly why I've posted several times in here that if one wants to know when to change their oil, they should spend the $20 and have it tested (and not just come on here to get opinions.. only a lab test will tell you the facts on your oil based on your driving habits). Yes, everyone's driving habits are different however the OLM that Ford uses is not a simple mileage indicator.. it takes into account many different things to know when you should change it. It uses very complex algorithms so it should know based on your driving habits and it adjusts as necessary.

My point is that the OLM knows your driving habits and changes based on that.

And if you have never had your oil tested, you wouldn't be aware of all the things they test for.. it's not just a test that says "yup, oil is good, keep driving"...

Here is my 1st lab test on my F350.. I'm at 28% oil life since 5/15/15 @ 7,405 mile oil life. I'll be sending my next lab in once I hit the "change oil soon" message which I believe will trigger at 10%. I also just hit 20,000 miles on my odometer 2 days ago so I'm at 28% based on my driving habits and I've only put 5,500 miles on this oil so far.

Read the comments from the lab at the top.

0Shot%202015-05-29%20at%205.16.22%20PM_zpshjlsredi.png

The TBN at the bottom is the property that tells you whether the oil is still protecting the motor or not. It needs a value greater then 1.0. At my OLM change, I'm still at 6.1 which is why they recommended going another 1,000 miles and retesting.

I won't go beyond the OLM because I want to keep my warranty however the point of these tests are to show that the OLM is on the conservative side and not telling you to change it when the oil has reached it's EOL.

As i said before, I only drive about 7500 - 8000 miles per year on my personal vehicles. I basically change oil twice a year. It's a lot of short trips, and I think it warrants the 2X change.

My Explorer, which is a leased company vehicle follows the company directives for oil changes, which is 5,000 miles.

I'm happy with both.

This is always a hot topic on all the forums. Like I said if I were planning on keeping this truck for 200k plus I'd definitely switch to Amsoil full synthetic which is rated for 20k miles (lab confirmed) and I'd stick to 5-6k mile intervals like I've done on previous vehicles but since it's a lease like I suspect most people are I'll stick to the minimal 7,500-8k Ish range with dealer synthetic blend which I suspect most people probably don't change it until a few weeks after the light come on.

It is a hot forum topic anywhere, any make or model.

Those who change their oil based on opinion and anecdotal information from the 80's, or what their grandfather told them.These people believe today's engines are no different than the engines of the 70-80's. They also believe oil research and engineering is flawed and it's really the same oil from decades ago, but with new packaging.

Those who change their oil based on an engineer designed algorithm that takes into account all sorts of real world variables that the engine is performing in. Also the oil they use is made up of components not available a decade ago.

Take your choice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is a hot forum topic anywhere, any make or model.

Those who change their oil based on opinion and anecdotal information from the 80's, or what their grandfather told them.These people believe today's engines are no different than the engines of the 70-80's. They also believe oil research and engineering is flawed and it's really the same oil from decades ago, but with new packaging.

Those who change their oil based on an engineer designed algorithm that takes into account all sorts of real world variables that the engine is performing in. Also the oil they use is made up of components not available a decade ago.
Take your choice.

:biggthump:biggthump

Back