• Register Today It's free!

2002 transmission question

Michael_45623

Reaction score
City, State
Crown city, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xlt
Can someone tell me the difference between a 1L2P-BE and a 2L2P-BA?? Everything I've read tells me my explorer needs a 2L2P-BA but the transmission in it now (that is junk now) is a 1L2P-BE. The manufacture date of my vehicle is 4/4/2002.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't you go by the door jamb sticker code? Should be a 5R55W IIRC...

Door jam sticker is faded bad and not legible.

The 2L should be a 5R55S and the 1L is at 5R55W. If you pulled the 1L, you need the 1L, and if you have 4WD that is most likely correct. I know the oil pans are different between the two; you can pull up pictures of the gaskets for each to compare.

If you need to order a transmission, I highly recommend getting it from RockAuto.com.

Go to Etis.Ford.com -- click on "vehicle", input the VIN number, and you'll get lots of info that way.

Am I correct in the way I'm reading the info. Prior to 3/4/02 is a 1L2P-BE and after 3/4/02 is the 2L2P-BA from the vin my 02has a manufacture date of 4/4/02. I'm just trying to see if it had the right transmission in it to begin with. I bought it used and it really nevery did shift like I thought it should.
Anyone know any reprocusions of using a 2L instead of a 1L ??

Thank you fordysenior for the Web site. After entering my vin number, I have found out that someone put the wrong tranny in it. The vin said that it has a 5r55s. So, I wonder if there was any damage done to the transfer case or anything from it having the wrong tranny in it. Any info would be appreciated.

I'm no help to you from here Michael -- I'm not THAT mechanical. Maybe someone got the tranny from a wrecking yard -- do you see any yellow crayon markings on it? That might explain the changes.

Edit: if it helps, mine is an early build model, has 119k with the original tranny, 5R55w. I've had no work done on it, not even changing the tranny oil

Thank you fordysenior for the Web site. After entering my vin number, I have found out that someone put the wrong tranny in it. The vin said that it has a 5r55s. So, I wonder if there was any damage done to the transfer case or anything from it having the wrong tranny in it. Any info would be appreciated.

Nope. The only difference is the 3rd gear ratio.

Nope. The only difference is the 3rd gear ratio.

Actually 2nd and 5th gear are differant on the way and s. I have a pdf of every part bolt size gear ratio and more if needed.

Actually 2nd and 5th gear are differant on the way and s. I have a pdf of every part bolt size gear ratio and more if needed.

Show me.

Send me your email not sure how to upload the 84 page pdf

5r55s
1st- 3.22
2nd- 2.29
3rd- 1.55
4th- 1.00
5th- 0.71
Rev- 3.71

5r55w
1st- 3.22
2nd- 2.41
3rd- 1.55
4th- 1.00
5th- 0.75
Rev- 3.71

Send me your email not sure how to upload the 84 page pdf

5r55s
1st- 3.22
2nd- 2.29
3rd- 1.55
4th- 1.00
5th- 0.71
Rev- 3.71

5r55w
1st- 3.22
2nd- 2.41
3rd- 1.55
4th- 1.00
5th- 0.75
Rev- 3.71
Thank you. I stand corrected.

Ok. Thanks guys for all the info. It's greatly appreciated. Ok, what about the "BE, BA, BD, etc... at the end of the number. What do they stand for.

Back