Bumper fitment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swordfish94x

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4dr 2wd Explorer
I know there's loads of posts about bumpers but I couldn't find anything on this. I have a 96 explorer, my buddy has an 04 ranger edge. I have stock bumper on, he has his stock one with some added support and d rings. Just wondering if the edge has the same frame width as the explorers or regular rangers I think is what I'm getting at. Be nice to know before I take them off and start trying to fit something that doesn't.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Park them side by side and grab a tape measure. Let us know what you find!

He won't notice his bumper is missing? :D

I second the idea to get out a tape measure.

Well I could fab some way to attach it but the brackets are different. I think I'm just gonna wait til I learn how to weld so I can make one that fits my needs a little better. Liiiike having a skidplate, and not sticking down so low. Besides what's the point of d rings on a bumper when the mounts are stock? Aren't the mounts the weak links that we see endless bumpers getting torn off on YouTube?

The tow hooks on the front of the Ranger are held on by 3 large bolts. The one video I saw of a bumper being torn off was from someone hooking up a tow strap & leaving slack in it & the tow vehicle getting a running start then ripping off the bumper. If you hook up a tow strap & then go slow to remove the slack you should be able to be towed out of a stuck situation with out a problem. Our 99 Sport has one in the rear under the bumper & I was towed out of deep snow using only the tow hook with out any problem. You just do it wisely.

The tow hooks on the front of the Ranger are held on by 3 large bolts. The one video I saw of a bumper being torn off was from someone hooking up a tow strap & leaving slack in it & the tow vehicle getting a running start then ripping off the bumper. If you hook up a tow strap & then go slow to remove the slack you should be able to be towed out of a stuck situation with out a problem. Our 99 Sport has one in the rear under the bumper & I was towed out of deep snow using only the tow hook with out any problem. You just do it wisely.

I just use the chain holes on the hitch socket if I can(not the bumper one).

Back