Front brakes already 2016 sport!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front brakes already 2016 sport!!!

HARDROCKTIMES

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Took my sport to the dealer because I saw something hanging from the front passenger side bottom... Also I was feeling a type of grinding feeling when I was braking ... Drop it off 9:30am and waited for the call... Needless to say I had to call them at 3pm... The service guy tells me... You must brake hard... Then he says he brakes hard .. And says the from brakes are shot... Really Ford ... I don't drive my sport hard ...I only have less then 10k miles on it ... He says they will change them under the warranty ... Has anyone had this problem...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope. original pads and 32,000 miles. Even tow a 3500 lb boat a fair amount.

Riding the brakes while driving down a steep 10,000 mile long hill while towing a heavy boat can ruin your brakes. Otherwise, make Ford pay and fix what caused the problem in the first place.

What do the rears look like? I would think if you are hard on brakes, rears should be worn as well.

If it was a sticking caliper, I wouldn’t think both would be shot. Typically get 1 sticking, but not both.

Possible that it’s a system issue. Traction control working overtime due to driving conditions/habits?

My 14 has just under 40K miles and I would say I still have over half pad material left. I do a lot of highway driving though.

Riding the brakes while driving down a steep 10,000 mile long hill while towing a heavy boat can ruin your brakes. Otherwise, make Ford pay and fix what caused the problem in the first place.

Lol... Your right ...

Waiting for Ford shuttle service to come pick me up and take me to the dealership ... I must say that this is a good service ... The drop u off and pick u up...
I'll let y'all know what's going on when I get back

Just got back...
Ford service says the pads were almost worn done to the metal... Then he went on to say be careful the way u drive... I find that funny because I know it had to have been defective for it to be worn down almost to the metal... Also he tells me that under 12k miles it's a gray area that u might have to pay to get the brakes replace and he did it for free for me this time...Haha.. I find that funny ... It's like a way to throw me off from the brakes being defective ... I paid a lot of money for this vehicle and I would hope to have some honest when being delt with...
The piece at the bottom was a front lower intake duct...

Just got back...
Ford service says the pads were almost worn done to the metal... Then he went on to say be careful the way u drive... I find that funny because I know it had to have been defective for it to be worn down almost to the metal... Also he tells me that under 12k miles it's a gray area that u might have to pay to get the brakes replace and he did it for free for me this time...Haha.. I find that funny ... It's like a way to throw me off from the brakes being defective ... I paid a lot of money for this vehicle and I would hope to have some honest when being delt with...
The piece at the bottom was a front lower intake duct...
The service person is correct. Calipers, brakes etc are wear and tear items that are only covered under the 1yr, 12,000 mile warranty.

Peter

Sounds like a defect to me. Most likely the defect still exists. If it was the way you drive, I'm sure you'd have had the issue with a previous vehicle. Unless, of course, you just got your license. I'd have them checked again in a couple of thousand miles.

Any info on the rear pads? Those should be at least 1/2 worn if your fronts are toast due to driving habits.

Something had to be wrong... under 12K for pads to be metal to metal is really odd for general vehicles.

I do not have experience with the EXP for brakes, but the Fusions are known to go through brakes about every 10-30k. On other vehicles I have had brakes last as low as 5k miles and 100k...Hard to tell when they will fail without visual inspection. How often do you get your oil changed? Do you have the tires rotated then? Have them inspected when rotating the tires. This is usually how I know when to get them replaced.

FYI, most brake places will warrant from 90 days to 1yr on brakes...Those that give you lifetime pads will find something else wrong if inspected for problem after work...
Best of luck...

Any info on the rear pads? Those should be at least 1/2 worn if your fronts are toast due to driving habits.

He said the checked the rear pads and they were fine.... That's how I know it was a defect...

He said the checked the rear pads and they were fine.... That's how I know it was a defect...

Yeah, I would expect the rears to be somewhat worn if the fronts were toast. Also, the Ex has been known to eat up rear pads before the fronts.

Not true...You can go through front brakes with little wear to the rear (and vice versa depending on application). I changed the rear brakes on my Fusion 3 times and the fronts were still good. Pads do not wear evenly and with today's modern brake systems you can be wearing them differently based on driving style, roads, weather conditions, etc.

It is not unheard of to only get 10k miles from a set of brake pads...

With all of this said, I am not saying you did not have a defect...That could still be the case.

I brake hard. I usually start with new pads on a Friday, and by Sunday afternoon, they are shot. But, coming into turn #5 at Road America, at over 140 mph, will kind of do that to ya.:)

I brake hard. I usually start with new pads on a Friday, and by Sunday afternoon, they are shot. But, coming into turn #5 at Road America, at over 140 mph, will kind of do that to ya.:)

Ha, I like that....:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back