Remanufactured Transmission = $3,800 installed, fix or junk explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remanufactured Transmission = $3,800 installed, fix or junk explorer?

Medic454

Reaction score
City, State
BOSTON, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT V6
I've got a 2003 Explorer XLT with the 4.0 V6 engine @ 170k miles. It is in good shape other then the transmission, to the best of my knowledge. A quote from the local trustworthy transmission shop came in at $3,800 for an installed remanufactured transmission. Do you experts think it's worth putting that into the truck, or do you think it's time we send this one to the junk yard? As far as I know timing has not been done. This is a spare vehicle for me, and it's junk value is about $200. Parting it out isn't an option because I have no place to store it.

EDIT: Also I've called 3 other shops, including our local AMMCO and nobody is all that much better then this price.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A used unit out of a junk yard would be $500-1K with 50-85K miles on it and you can get a warranty on it. A spare car is nice, after insurance and registration it is a free ride for the rest of the year. I went this route on my van when the transmission failed. $600 later it was on the road again.

I definitely agree that if you want to keep the truck, I would look at a used transmission instead of a rebuilt. If you can get back on the road for $1000 or so then it is worth keeping because you won't get much of a replacement for $1000. If you need to spend $3000+, then you are better off putting that toward something newer because you will definitely have timing chains to deal with at some point sooner or later.

LMHmedchem

You can get a quality remanufactured transmission from RockAuto for ~$1500. If that plus the cost of labor is not worth the expense for you, put it on Craigslist for $500 and it should sell off pretty fast.

That price seems a little high - there's not that much labor in swapping trannys.

A reman transmission runs $1800-$2000.

Whether or not you want to keep that particular vehicle on the road is up to you. Maybe you should go price some new ones - that'll help you see the value in keeping a good shape used vehicle on the road.

That price seems a little high - there's not that much labor in swapping trannys.

A reman transmission runs $1800-$2000.

Whether or not you want to keep that particular vehicle on the road is up to you. Maybe you should go price some new ones - that'll help you see the value in keeping a good shape used vehicle on the road.

It's high because it's in Boston and I'm sure everything under it is rusted. The extra $1300 is a convenience fee.

A rebuilder should be able to rebuild one and install it for $2500. $3,800 is real high unless it's a rust surcharge.

As mentioned get a wrecking yard trans and install it for less than $1k. But I doubt you'll get one with less than 100k on it.

Rock auto has a transmission for $2000, $600 refunded for core so you are only paying $1400 for it. Find a shop to do the switch for you and you should be able to do the whole thing in less than $3000.

Rock auto has a transmission for $2000, $600 refunded for core so you are only paying $1400 for it. Find a shop to do the switch for you and you should be able to do the whole thing in less than $3000.

I've seen that on Rock Auto, has anyone had any experience with one?

I checked it out on there and read the description on it and watched the video. IT seems like a decent deal. 3 year unlimited mile warranty on parts and labor, not sure if they would reimburse you for labor if you have to have any work done after the install within the warranty period. If I have to replace my trans that's probably the route I'll go.

While we are on the subject, I have a 2002 EB with 221,000 miles on it that needs a transmission...its CA so the usual amount of rot is not present...its in Burlington MA if anyone is interested...IM me for details...Barry

Yes, I have put in a few of them. They are awesome; they address all of the short-comings of the 5R55 transmissions and come complete, ready to bolt in. They have the torque converter, as well as the adapter plate already installed if you have the 4.6L. I have a lot of miles between the ones installed and they have all been flawless. I know a lot of folks promote getting it rebuilt locally by an expert, but I have been there too and know that the RockAuto transmissions are better. :thumbsup:

Yes, I have put in a few of them. They are awesome; they address all of the short-comings of the 5R55 transmissions and come complete, ready to bolt in. They have the torque converter, as well as the adapter plate already installed if you have the 4.6L. I have a lot of miles between the ones installed and they have all been flawless. I know a lot of folks promote getting it rebuilt locally by an expert, but I have been there too and know that the RockAuto transmissions are better. :thumbsup:

It's great to get some real world feed back.

I just checked on mine, '00 5R55E. There are three different companies listed: EXACT ENGINE, TRANSMISSION AUTHORITY and FAMOUS BRAND. They all have 3 year warranties. Which one(s) have you used?

Thanks,
Dan

I checked it out on there and read the description on it and watched the video. IT seems like a decent deal. 3 year unlimited mile warranty on parts and labor, not sure if they would reimburse you for labor if you have to have any work done after the install within the warranty period. If I have to replace my trans that's probably the route I'll go.

Labor's only reimbursed if a licensed shop does both the original install as well as the warranty. At least on their ~1500 trans that was mentioned.

They have the torque converter, as well as the adapter plate already installed if you have the 4.6L.

Just for the 4.6? Doesn't the 4.0 have something funky and they both require the use of the Rotunda 307-403? If not, that's a $100-$300 savings right there for a DIY'r.

It's great to get some real world feed back.

I just checked on mine, '00 5R55E. There are three different companies listed: EXACT ENGINE, TRANSMISSION AUTHORITY and FAMOUS BRAND. They all have 3 year warranties. Which one(s) have you used?

Thanks,
Dan
Transmission Authority.

Just for the 4.6? Doesn't the 4.0 have something funky and they both require the use of the Rotunda 307-403? If not, that's a $100-$300 savings right there for a DIY'r.
I have no idea about the 4.0...I know the 3.9L and 4.6L V8s I have put them in needed the adapter plate. I bought an alignment tool (basically the 307-403) anticipating having to reuse my original plate, too; it has never been used. :(

For $3,800 bucks I'd say good buy to it. I've seen rebuilt units for around $1,000 with a core. I would find a wrecked Explorer, pull the trans and swap it out myself to keep the price low. We don't have any rust here though...

I feel that price is quite high. I live in SE Wisconsin where in winter all roads are built from salt. I just had my trans replaced with a reman. Unit at a Lincoln dealer (closer then ford dealer to me but same) 2k ago. 3 year unlimited mileage no fault warranty (means no matter how it breaks as long as its internal) with a updated program to computer. All it with tax $3080.

That does seem quite high. I had my trans (5r55e) rebuilt last year for $2000 and it now shifts like new. I have put a lot of other maintenance items on the car, done a lot of front/rear end work, brakes/shocks, radiator, steering rack, etc., and she just keeps going and going. But considering a new Explorer payment is going to be 4-5 bills a month, I'll drive this one till she grenades.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back