2017 vs 2016 Questions & Opinions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 vs 2016 Questions & Opinions

First post here, time for a question.

I'm very close to moving ahead on the purchase of an Explorer in Platinum trim. Interested in either the Ruby Red or Platinum White. Both of these vehicles are available locally with the only options I care about (Ebony Black leather and separate 2nd row seats with pass-through).

I've read a lot of talk on here about Sync 3. My question is whether it is REALLY worth waiting to order a '17 just to get Sync 3 (looks like virtually everything else could remain the same), risk a price increase, and lose the available incentives (0% for 60)? I've never been in a vehicle with Sync 3. Am I missing something?

Thats more of a personal decision, is tech worth it to you?....is a years depreciation when you sign the papers worth it to you?

I like the latest tech and future proofing myself, others don't care.

Everybody is different.

Im choosing 17 as I want Sync3 plus the other options like standard 500W ClearPhase Audio upgrade. Plus the new graphite colour.

Strictly personal in my humble opinion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm waiting for a 2017. Mostly because my current lease ends in August - but I do think Sync 3 is worth waiting for. Simply, it's a matter of one of the least loved infotainment systems in the industry versus one of the most eagerly anticipated. I do wish Sync 3 had CarPlay, though.

I'm waiting for a 2017. Mostly because my current lease ends in August - but I do think Sync 3 is worth waiting for. Simply, it's a matter of one of the least loved infotainment systems in the industry versus one of the most eagerly anticipated. I do wish Sync 3 had CarPlay, though.

Sync 3 will be getting an update to support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto this year.

This update won't be possible on Sync 2 w/MFT for various reasons such as CPU speed and resistive touch screen(vs. capacitive multi-finger in Sync 3)

Sync 3 will be getting an update to support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto this year. This update won't be possible on Sync 2 w/MFT for various reasons such as CPU speed and resistive touch screen(vs. capacitive multi-finger in Sync 3)
That's good news. Will it be a software or firmware update we can implement in the field, or with a dealer visit, and not a subsequent Sync 3 release not backward compatible?

Sync 3 software updates are over-the-air using WiFi so you will be able to update at home

All Sync 3 hardware will support this update

Thanks for all the input guys. The latest tech sounds nice - I will be putting in a lot of windshield time. I'm not sure the depreciation will mean that much for me. I plan on having this vehicle for 7+ years and putting 200K+ on it, so it will have quite a hit on resale value anyway, haha.

Lots to consider. It will be interesting to see what the incentives are after the current program closes on 4 April.

Thanks for all the input guys. The latest tech sounds nice - I will be putting in a lot of windshield time. I'm not sure the depreciation will mean that much for me. I plan on having this vehicle for 7+ years and putting 200K+ on it, so it will have quite a hit on resale value anyway, haha. Lots to consider. It will be interesting to see what the incentives are after the current program closes on 4 April.
That's really the dealer's problem, not yours. Market price doesn't change much with the coming and going of incentives. When they're good, they're an easier way for a dealer to get to that price on Ford's back, not theirs. Just be sure you keep at least two dealers in the conversation until the latest possible moment. IMO and IME, of course.

That's really the dealer's problem, not yours. Market price doesn't change much with the coming and going of incentives. When they're good, they're an easier way for a dealer to get to that price on Ford's back, not theirs. Just be sure you keep at least two dealers in the conversation until the latest possible moment. IMO and IME, of course.

This will be a Z-plan purchase, so it is my problem vs. the dealer.

I've tried to sift through some of the threads on Sync w/ MFT, but still don't get it. Can you explain why MFT is one of the least loved (or most hated depending on who you ask) systems? It doesn't appear that bad for the very limited time I've had in seeing one.

I appreciate it.

I've tried to sift through some of the threads on Sync w/ MFT, but still don't get it. Can you explain why MFT is one of the least loved (or most hated depending on who you ask) systems? It doesn't appear that bad for the very limited time I've had in seeing one.

I appreciate it.
Fair question. The most specific complaint is latency in the touchscreen. In other words, you touch something and it takes a beat to respond. It's annoying. Secondarily, there is less application integration with MFT than with competing systems - like a native Spotify front-end, text integration, etc.

Both of these either are or are not objections for a given buyer. The latency is a hardware issue that it seems like they could have fixed; the lack of smartphone integration is a sign of the age of the MFT architecture, and it is behind Jeep's UConnect, GM's MyLink, and dramatically behind BMW's iDrive and whatever Audi calls theirs.

To be fair, from what I've seen out of Sync 3, MFT is a more attractive interface. I'm not crazy about the light blue, and I don't know if it is configurable - they used the color for maximum daylight contrast. But - the swipe and pinch interface is very consistent with other UIs we are all used to, the responsiveness is apparently top-notch, and the smartphone integration will be right there with anything on the market, as soon as Ford rolls out CarPlay.

The Sync 3 navigation system uses a QWERTY type-in interface that searches possible destination intentions in a very Google-like way, versus having to put City in one field, State in another field, address in a third field, and street name in another field - and then searching, like most navigation systems in exiting generations do. It seems like it would be safer in a roadgoing system.

Finally, and maybe least important (but who knows), Sync 3 will provide more robust mobile integration with a smartphone app that can be used apart from the vehicle. It's called Sync Connect and I know next to nothing about it - maybe someone else can add that detail.

Thanks for the comparison. I previously had a '13 Buick Enclave as a company vehicle. It didn't have great iPhone integration either. Was downsized from there and am right now driving a '12 Escape LTD with non-touch screen Sync that will become my daughter's first vehicle in a few months. My wife has an '11 Taurus LTD with Sync (or MFT, not sure), and it isn't bad at all. I know I need to download and update it's software/firmware.

I tend to listen to Sirius XM vs. apps like Spotify or Pandora. Obviously a Platinum will have Nav built in, and I have been used to using Google Maps vs. Apple Maps, so I'm just trying to get my arms around how much of an advantage Sync 3 with CarPlay would mean to a user like me. I'm not being argumentative - I simply don't know the differences that well.

Thanks for the comparison. I previously had a '13 Buick Enclave as a company vehicle. It didn't have great iPhone integration either. Was downsized from there and am right now driving a '12 Escape LTD with non-touch screen Sync that will become my daughter's first vehicle in a few months. My wife has an '11 Taurus LTD with Sync (or MFT, not sure), and it isn't bad at all. I know I need to download and update it's software/firmware.

I tend to listen to Sirius XM vs. apps like Spotify or Pandora. Obviously a Platinum will have Nav built in, and I have been used to using Google Maps vs. Apple Maps, so I'm just trying to get my arms around how much of an advantage Sync 3 with CarPlay would mean to a user like me. I'm not being argumentative - I simply don't know the differences that well.
It's possible that the differences aren't meaningful to you - in which case it's a great time to strike an awesome deal on an outgoing '16!

I found out yesterday that the top-tier audio system from the 2016 Platinum will be available on the 2017 Sport. That's another draw to the 2017, for me. I didn't feel like the Sony audio in the 2016 was quite as good as it should be.

I found out yesterday that the top-tier audio system from the 2016 Platinum will be available on the 2017 Sport. That's another draw to the 2017, for me. I didn't feel like the Sony audio in the 2016 was quite as good as it should be.

I agree there. The Sony system is a joke.

Thanks for all the input guys. The latest tech sounds nice - I will be putting in a lot of windshield time. I'm not sure the depreciation will mean that much for me. I plan on having this vehicle for 7+ years and putting 200K+ on it, so it will have quite a hit on resale value anyway, haha.

Lots to consider. It will be interesting to see what the incentives are after the current program closes on 4 April.

In your case, you are absolutely correct. Get the best bang for the buck. If you plan on wearing it out, get the 16' and the rebates.
My deal is 180 degrees in the other direction. If the car gets 1000 miles a year, it will be a lot.

The Sync 3 navigation system uses a QWERTY type-in interface that searches possible destination intentions in a very Google-like way, versus having to put City in one field, State in another field, address in a third field, and street name in another field - and then searching, like most navigation systems in exiting generations do. It seems like it would be safer in a roadgoing system.

As long as CarPlay also allows you to have your Google Nav from your phone work on the MFT, I see no need for Nav. The latest aftermarket Pioneers allow that. Nothing beats Google Nav, IMO. That's what I use now except I look at the map on the phone in a cradle next to the MFT and stream turn by turn through the car speakers over Bluetooth. That's how I do it with all my cars. Have never run across an OEM nav that truly does the job for me like Google Nav.

As long as CarPlay also allows you to have your Google Nav from your phone work on the MFT, I see no need for Nav. The latest aftermarket Pioneers allow that. Nothing beats Google Nav, IMO. That's what I use now except I look at the map on the phone in a cradle next to the MFT and stream turn by turn through the car speakers over Bluetooth. That's how I do it with all my cars. Have never run across an OEM nav that truly does the job for me like Google Nav.

I'm with you. I never use the OEM nav., but Siri/ACP in the 17' will make even easier to use google.
The only problem is the use of data, but we only use nav data when trying to find the final address location once in the area.

Google Nav is my preferred, too. But if you want an Explorer with a 3.5L Ecoboost, it's kind of a moot point since the Sport & Platinum already come with Nav. Can't avoid paying for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You know what, though? As good as Google navigation is, it only works when your phone has a signal. I live in Colorado, and there are still a lot of places up in the mountains where there is absolutely none. That's the only thing that keeps me from completely rejecting OEM navigation systems.

Back