Explorer Towing Capacity | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Towing Capacity

familytravel78

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
I purchased a 2013 XLT with a dealer installed OEM Class III hitch receiver. It has the 3.6L V6. I cannot find any solid answers on how much the car can tow. The hitch says 5000lbs. The Ford website says anywhere from 2000-5000lbs. Can anyone out there help me in finding out the actual towing capacity of this car? I have a small camper trailer that weighs, 3800lbs and I do not want to blow the car up by taking on the road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't have the factory tow package, the vehicle is rated to tow 2,000lbs regardless of what the hitch says. The class 3 hitch that you had installed is rated for 5,000lbs but that is the hitch, not the vehicle. You need to go buy the manufacturer ratings AND the hitch ratings. Whichever is lowest is what you can tow.

People will tell you that it's ok to do it and that is on you however the factory tow package also includes an oil cooler, different transmission and the tow/haul mode button (you can add the button) that changes the shift points to keep the Explorer more in the power band when activated that yours does not have.

OK thank you. I'm so bummed out, because the dealer told us 5000 when we bought it. Our small camper is 3800 and we thought we were safely under the max. Asides from purchasing a NEW car, is there anything I can do to the current car to make it handle the 3800lbs? We plan on towing it to local campgrounds within two hours of our house two or three times a year. Again, I appreciate the reply!

There is nothing you can do because the vehicle is certified for 2,000lbs by the manufacturer. Now I don't think you will have a problem towing the 3,800lbs especially if you are staying local (I'd add the tow/haul mode switch) but keep in mind that you would be working the Explorer harder and not having the oil cooler will have your temps rise as well.

No one can really say what the end result would be for pulling the weight. It's not so much the engine that can't handle it as the motor itself is the same and no one can come up with what is different between the 2 transmissions but the part numbers are different between a tow package and non tow package explorer so there is something different.

It is more of the cooling aspects that are missing. I forgot to mention that with the tow package, you also have a thicker radiator as well to help with cooling on top of the oil cooler. There is a reason Ford added these additional cooling pieces.

I tow with my F350 and tow heavy (about 22,000lbs between truck and camper) and I'm one who obeys the tow ratings and will not tow over what I'm certified for. There are plenty that do overload their vehicles and don't care. For me, I don't want the responsibility if I get into an accident and I don't want to be liable if I'm towing above the allowed weight. That is just my personal opinion and beliefs. Others will say different and just don't care.

With that said, it's not my vehicle so I don't want to recommend you doing it and having something go wrong. You'll have to make your own decision on it.

I'm sure it is too late but I personally would have a nice conversation with the Sales Manager or GM of the dealership about their misinformation. I'd simply ask how is my Explorer rated to tow 5,000lbs when the tow package comes with the following:

1) oil cooler that this one is missing
2) thicker radiator that this one is missing
3) Tow/Haul mode that this one is missing
4) MANUFACTURER rated at 2,000lbs that a hitch alone does not change.

OH.. also keep in mind that with the camper at 3,800lbs, you also have to add in other things like fuel, weight of passengers and any gear that is put in the Explorer. The tow rating is a rating of an Empty vehicle with 1 Driver. Take into account that you add a passenger and if you have a couple kids, that's another 200-250lbs or more plus about 18gallons of fuel at about 8lbs per gallon. You have to subtract that from the 2,000 or 5,000 amount to show what you can actually tow.

Thank you VERY much for your help. I will call the dealer about that tow button. I think we will try the camping thing locally and IF it turns out to be something our family enjoys, we will make some vehicle upgrades in the next year or so. Maybe get a drivable RV and not have to worry about towing! Haha.

Thank you VERY much for your help. I will call the dealer about that tow button. I think we will try the camping thing locally and IF it turns out to be something our family enjoys, we will make some vehicle upgrades in the next year or so. Maybe get a drivable RV and not have to worry about towing! Haha.

The tow/haul mode button is plug and play. You have to order the 3 button panel but when you remove the one there now (you have 2 plus a blank), it will plug right in and function.

And you are welcome. Good luck!!

Thought I would post an update. The Ford dealership was at first puzzled about the towing capacity of my Explorer. They had to "put their heads together" and then called me back to inform me that the car indeed could only tow 2000lbs and there was nothing they could do. Long story short, I am now the proud owner of a 2016 F150 that will be able to tow everything I need and more. I appreciate your help!

Thought I would post an update. The Ford dealership was at first puzzled about the towing capacity of my Explorer. They had to "put their heads together" and then called me back to inform me that the car indeed could only tow 2000lbs and there was nothing they could do. Long story short, I am now the proud owner of a 2016 F150 that will be able to tow everything I need and more. I appreciate your help!
They are correct. Only factory installed tow packages are rated at 5000 lbs.

Peter

Very cool!!! Congrats on the truck. 2.7, 3.5 or 5.0?

2.7L Ecoboost Super Crew with a 3.31 transmission that can tow 7600lbs. Our camper is only 3800lbs unloaded and maxes out at 4800 with water and gear, so we are good to go! Came with factory trailer brake controller and their new trailer back up system. The fuel economy of the 2.7L is better than my old Explorer and it can tow 4 times as much weight.

2013+ Explorer towing vs HD towing

So many questions!

Towing - I have a boat to tow to the lake on the weekend. About 3,500lbs on the trailer.

So, looks like these things come with:
- no hitch at all
- basic towing package with 2,000lb capacity
- Heavy Duty tow package with 5,000lbs capacity BUT you have to use a weight distributing hitch on the trailer to go to the max. I can't find anything that says at what weight you need to start using a weight distributing hitch.)

How does one distinguish the regular hitch from the HD hitch?

Thanks.

So many questions!

Towing - I have a boat to tow to the lake on the weekend. About 3,500lbs on the trailer.

So, looks like these things come with:
- no hitch at all
- basic towing package with 2,000lb capacity
- Heavy Duty tow package with 5,000lbs capacity BUT you have to use a weight distributing hitch on the trailer to go to the max. I can't find anything that says at what weight you need to start using a weight distributing hitch.)

How does one distinguish the regular hitch from the HD hitch?

Thanks.
You are correct that if the vehicle isn't ordered with a tow package, there is no hitch. The factory installed tow package is rated for 5000 lbs and a weight distribution hitch (DH) is recommended. The Explorer is rated at 2000 lbs for any after market hitch added to the Explorer. Since Ford doesn't have a factory tow package for anything in between, I'm guessing the WDH starts at 5000 lbs.
Your thread has been merged with this one.

Peter

Is there any way to add an oil cooler and upgraded radiator to increase the towing limit? Or is there even more needed than that?

And what does the tow/haul button do?

.....And what does the tow/haul button do?
Page 206 in your Owner's Manual;
The tow feature improves transmission operation when towing a trailer
or a heavy load. All transmission gear ranges are available when using
tow.
The tow feature delays upshifts to reduce frequency of transmission
shifting. Tow also provides engine braking in all forward gears when the
transmission is in the D (Overdrive) position. This engine braking will
slow the vehicle and assist the driver in controlling the vehicle when
descending a grade. Depending on driving conditions and load
conditions, the transmission may downshift, slow the vehicle and control
the vehicle speed when descending a hill, without the accelerator pedal
being pressed. The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based
upon the amount the brake pedal is depressed.

Peter

I had to look up the 2.7 liter engine for the F-150. Woah! That's a hard working little engine!! I had no idea that one existed.

I had to look up the 2.7 liter engine for the F-150. Woah! That's a hard working little engine!! I had no idea that one existed.

Also in the Ford Edge Sport now. Test drove one and it has plenty of power.

You are correct that if the vehicle isn't ordered with a tow package, there is no hitch. The factory installed tow package is rated for 5000 lbs and a weight distribution hitch (DH) is recommended. The Explorer is rated at 2000 lbs for any after market hitch added to the Explorer. Since Ford doesn't have a factory tow package for anything in between, I'm guessing the WDH starts at 5000 lbs.
Your thread has been merged with this one.

Peter

Thank you for that helpful info.

I'm looking online at used 2013+ Explorers. Vehicles that claim to have the two package have no hitch visible in rear end photos. Is it hidden under that plastic cover in the center of the bumper?

As for the weight distributing hitch - you mean they only suggest it for towing the absolute maximum? (Which would be handy 'cause none of my trailers currently have that feature, but all weigh well under 5k lbs)

Thank you for that helpful info.

I'm looking online at used 2013+ Explorers. Vehicles that claim to have the two package have no hitch visible in rear end photos. Is it hidden under that plastic cover in the center of the bumper?

As for the weight distributing hitch - you mean they only suggest it for towing the absolute maximum? (Which would be handy 'cause none of my trailers currently have that feature, but all weigh well under 5k lbs)
Yes, the hitch has that bumper cover hiding it. As for the WDH, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can answer that.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back