2006 Explorer Console Disassembly Procedure | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer Console Disassembly Procedure

Here are Crizz's photos:
Step001.jpg

Step002.jpg

Step003.jpg

Step004.jpg

Step005.jpg

Step006.jpg

thanks for the pictures. I just bought a pioneer dvd player I plan to install in the next few days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That explorer is in a lot cleaner condition than mine! Wish I'd seen this before opening up mine

replacing shift indicator bulb

I have made it all the way to removing the center console chrome bezel, shroud and gear shift lever bezel....that's as far as I made it. I am trying to replace the bulb that lights up the shift indicator. I can see the two wires that go the the bulb assembly on the driver's side of the shift lever; I just don't know what to take apart next.

I'm not sure either. The guy who originally posted these pix no longer has an Explorer. I got the pix from him and posted them here.

steve

I have made it all the way to removing the center console chrome bezel, shroud and gear shift lever bezel....that's as far as I made it. I am trying to replace the bulb that lights up the shift indicator. I can see the two wires that go the the bulb assembly on the driver's side of the shift lever; I just don't know what to take apart next.

twist the bulb holder 90 degrees, and it will come out. then pull the bulb out. I dont remember the number of the replacement bulb, but just take it to autozone and match it.

twist the bulb holder 90 degrees, and it will come out. then pull the bulb out. I dont remember the number of the replacement bulb, but just take it to autozone and match it.

Errrrrrrk! (Sound of brake pedals being slammed on). Not so fast. Mine wasn't a 194 at all. A 194 was way too huge. Mine is a grain-of-wheat sized bulb #37.

That's the bulb I used on mine.

Hi,
Did you ever figure out what/where the bulb is for this? I've gotten it opened up to the point in the picture, with the wires going into the white plastic 'bezel' on the driver's side, but I'm not sure where to go now. If you found it please let me know. If not, please let me know as well. Thanks!

So, I bought a harness kit to install my avh-p2400bt, I haven't uninstalled the old radio yet, but hoping it's a straight swap, I only have the one harness, which is apparently the one for my 06 xlt but I don't have steering wheel controls, subwoofer, etc... it did come with another attachment with 2 rca jacks, guess i'll see when I get it off this week.

This is what I bought... also, the trim kit, has tabs on it, that you are supposed to remove but it doesn't say which.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301276158441?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
fdk0411dd_fd45520_chra16_cao.jpg

To be honest, I have yet to actually install it, the radio is in the bracket and the harness is wired and ready to go. A, I am a procrastinator, B, I get nervous about having issues, or being defeated as something may go wrong, and C, I have been crazy busy and with this cold weather now, not working outside on it. Hoping to do it shortly though, the display on the factory unit, appears to be fading... But the wiring harness for instance, was pretty much a perfect match to the wiring from the HU.
I have also bought a back up camera since, and need to mount that and run wiring, so I can hook it up while everything is apart.

Same thing here

I have all the stuff needed to swap out my entire system from my dead 1998 gen 2 in to my 2007 gen 4.... But i dont feel like starting it with the cold michigan weather... I have the stock radio that the display dies on so i have no clock lol... I also have to wait till spring ro fab up a new fiberglass enclosure for a new sub... So much limited space in this explorer its going to be a fun build... Not.....

You might want to swap the shift indicator bulb, that little one, while you're deep in there...

Just noticed the date...you're probably well done by now!!!

You might want to swap the shift indicator bulb, that little one, while you're deep in there...

Just noticed the date...you're probably well done by now!!!

Funny you mentioned this. I think I did something to mine when I did the swap. Bulb hasn't worked since.

This thread is listed in "List of useful threads". Am I the only one who does not see pictures in start post? No matter what I try -- there is no pics.... :(

No, you are not the only one. If a Thread is to be useful, the pics should be intact. I don't know the answer to this problem, but have run into this on many threads lately. One way to correct this is to "host" your pics on your facebook profile. I have started doing this lately and it works great. Like, here is one that will not show up on my FB feed because I have set the privacy level to "only me".
23915511_1720178601346165_1587365757982240964_n.jpg

People are not as likely to let their FB accounts die like they do their Photobucket accounts.

all pictures linked to photobucket are gone because they started to charge for accounts all my pics using tinypic still work or you can use that imgur site

Back