Lowering the Explorer | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer

what is involved in the interceptor brake upgrade? front calipers, front rotors, and all pads?

All of the above. Front and rear. Do a search on the forum for part numbersAbout $1100 in parts if memory serves me correctly and about 2-1/2 hours of your time and some blood sweat and beers. (if you know what you are doing).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Without a trailer hitched it would probably not gonna rub. with a trailer it's another story, it's going to depend how much weight you are gonna haul. Great job in the brake upgrade, definitely looking forward to do that mod. I'm receiving my ex springs and some other goodies from Livernois today, so I'm gonna need some new stoping power.

All of the above. Front and rear. Do a search on the forum for part numbersAbout $1100 in parts if memory serves me correctly and about 2-1/2 hours of your time and some blood sweat and beers. (if you know what you are doing).
If I'm correct, all the 2013up got the heavy duty sport/interceptor brakes already, only Explorers prior 2013 can benefit of the swap.

If I'm correct, all the 2013up got the heavy duty sport/interceptor brakes already, only Explorers prior 2013 can benefit of the swap.
Upgraded brakes were added midway through the 2013 model year build. So it depends on when your 2013 was built as to whether you have the upgraded brakes or not.

Peter

I just checked my EXP VIN in etis.ford.com and my sport was build in 8/25/13 and it does have the heavy duty brakes. So no need to change them.

Bump before final purchase.

So ready to order springs. So what lowers it more flex or explorer springs. I want to order the ones that are not as drastic. I just need an inch and a half or so front and rear. Any more the front will rub on the inside with the 22's.

Ok, I have a lowered mustang and LOVE the smooth ride of my 16 Sport. However, Im not really fond of the so-so handling of this thing. How much of a trade off of ride comfort (bump handling) am I going to sacrafice by lowering this thing? Im not really looking to be jolted in the seat every time I hit a slight bump in the road. Thanks!

You can't compare the degradation in ride quality of a lowered sports/pony car with limited suspension travel to begin with and an SUV/Crossover with more suspension travel than most people will ever use. For my part, I did not feel ANY degradation in ride quality when I lowered our Explorer. I doubt these springs are much stiffer than stock. They just ate up the useless (to me) suspension travel.

also anyone know if the interceptor springs are any different or lower then the Sports? I drive a 16 Interceptor Explorer at work and it seems to handle much much better then my 16 Sport. Anyone have any insight?

You can't compare the degradation in ride quality of a lowered sports/pony car with limited suspension travel to begin with and an SUV/Crossover with more suspension travel than most people will ever use. For my part, I did not feel ANY degradation in ride quality when I lowered our Explorer. I doubt these springs are much stiffer than stock. They just ate up the useless (to me) suspension travel.

Yeah, I wasnt comparing my Mustangs ride to my Explorer obviously, but I was basically just asking if the Ex is going to shutter pretty hard over small bumps in the road with the new springs. Even tho ride comfort is relative, Some people say "YES its obvious!!" and others say none at all lol. So its all over the place.

I lower my '14 sport with the explorer springs and it gave me around 1in drop front and rear. it's been a month but I haven't measured again to see if the springs are settling. The ride quality it's practically the same if not better, I do feel it a little stiffer, but I haven't found it hard on bumps or potholes, I feel the same smooth ride.

Spacers shipped today. Installing Springs, spacers, black lugs for sure next week. Stay tuned.

I didnt need rear camber bolts after lowering. There was enough adjustment in the slot. It aligned to spec.

I didnt need rear camber bolts after lowering. There was enough adjustment in the slot. It aligned to spec.

That is REALLY lucky! I cannot remember the last time that happened...PLAY THE LOTTO lol.

Could you please pm a quote for the rear camber bolts. Thank you.

I will post it here so that everyone can know too, no offense. The camber bolts are only $30+freight.

Are these reboxed H&R springs?
I have a '12 Limited', why will these not work?

They are our springs. I never said that they will not work either [MENTION=185956]JETZ[/MENTION]. The same lowering kit fits your Limited as well.

That is REALLY lucky! I cannot remember the last time that happened...PLAY THE LOTTO lol.

Well by what your WP says, I thought no!
Are the springs powder coated?
Can you ship to Toronto?

2013-2016 Ford Explorer 3.5 Liter Turbocharged
2013-2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Liter Turbocharged

They are our springs. I never said that they will not work either [MENTION=185956]JETZ[/MENTION]. The same lowering kit fits your Limited as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will post it here so that everyone can know too, no offense. The camber bolts are only $30+freight.

I am interested in the rear camber bolts

Back