New Explorer, Wavy side glass? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer, Wavy side glass?

derby4u99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer
Hi I just purchased a new 2016 Explorer. I have noticed a few things that are beyond over looking.
The side windows are distorted and wavy, Dealer says it is from the side glass being laminated instead of tempered. It is like looking through somebody's glasses. They have no other answers.
When did they change to laminate and how can I get rid of these windows.

I can't stand to drive the thing. It is put together poorly and looks cheap under the hood.

This Explorer has been an adventure since day one.
On delivery I had noticed there was a major paint flaw, a ding in the nose of the hood, scratches on the bumper lower plastic and a dent in passenger door that was an apparent manufacture flaw. It looks like the seam was not formed properly and nobody caught it at the factory, this caused the metal to pucker and looks like somebody slammed the door with the seat buckle in the jam.

So far I am regretting the purchase. I have never had any issues like this on any other Ford vehicle.

I will be calling the complaint line as soon as I have some info on glass.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi I just purchased a new 2016 Explorer. I have noticed a few things that are beyond over looking.
The side windows are distorted and wavy, Dealer says it is from the side glass being laminated instead of tempered. It is like looking through somebody's glasses. They have no other answers.

I can't stand to drive the thing. It is put together poorly and looks cheap under the hood.

On delivery I had noticed there was a major paint flaw, a ding in the nose of the hood, scratches on the bumper lower plastic and a dent in passenger door that was an apparent manufacture flaw. It looks like the seam was not formed properly and nobody caught it at the factory, this caused the metal to pucker and looks like somebody slammed the door with the seat buckle in the jam.

So far I am regretting the purchase. I have never had any issues like this on any other Ford vehicle.

The question begs to be asked....Did you not do your homework? If it looks cheaply put together and it looks cheap under the hood.....why did you buy one??? Secondly....why did you accept delivery of the vehicle if it had said flaws when you first picked it up??? Take some responsibility here....

The question begs to be asked....Did you not do your homework? If it looks cheaply put together and it looks cheap under the hood.....why did you buy one??? Secondly....why did you accept delivery of the vehicle if it had said flaws when you first picked it up??? Take some responsibility here....

I totally agree with you, if these flaws were noticed, and you still took delivery, that's on you as the buyer.

If you DO take delivery when there is an issue or something missing, the dealer can give you a "WE OWE" form listing what they commit to resolving for you.

If you DO take delivery when there is an issue or something missing, the dealer can give you a "WE OWE" form listing what they commit to resolving for you.

I picked mine up after work when it was getting dark. Dealer told me that I have 7 days to notice if something is wrong and then I can bring the car back and they would fix it.

Pics, or it didn't happen.
While I agree the build quality can be improved; you basically got a POS.

I didn't notice the glass and door issue until they delivered it to my house after repainting the fender that had the flaw.
The cheap under hood stuff was just an observation and the pimple in hood is not that bad. I was just bringing up the fact that QC is out the window.

Curious, what do you find cheap under the hood?

It would be very helpful in answering future posts if you added the 'trim' level (Base, XLT, etc) to your profile so it appears in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

That sounds like a major bummer. The fit, finish and quality of our Platinum is stellar. I still think Ford should have made the Platinum a Lincoln model. As it is I'm glad they didn't because it probably would have cost $60K instead of $50K.

That sounds like a major bummer. The fit, finish and quality of our Platinum is stellar. I still think Ford should have made the Platinum a Lincoln model. As it is I'm glad they didn't because it probably would have cost $60K instead of $50K.

$60k is about the going price (after discounts) we pay over here in Canada. Lol

I didn't notice the glass and door issue until they delivered it to my house after repainting the fender that had the flaw.
The cheap under hood stuff was just an observation and the pimple in hood is not that bad. I was just bringing up the fact that QC is out the window.
The glass issue doesn't sound right unless they just started using laminated glass on the 2016. I haven't noticed any such issues on any vehicles I've had not have there been any other posts regarding it. Again, not knowing which trim level you have, I wonder if it has anything to do with the extra sound deadening in the Platinum.

Peter

The glass issue doesn't sound right unless they just started using laminated glass on the 2016. I haven't noticed any such issues on any vehicles I've had not have there been any other posts regarding it. Again, not knowing which trim level you have, I wonder if it has anything to do with the extra sound deadening in the Platinum.

Peter

If the sound screen glass is the culprit, OP, along with all 2016 EX should experience the same issue with the front windshield also (made with sound screen glass).

No wavy looking glass in our Platinum.

If the sound screen glass is the culprit, OP, along with all 2016 EX should experience the same issue with the front windshield also (made with sound screen glass).
Unless his is defective. That is why I mentioned that it (wavy glass) doesn't sound right. Only the 2016 Platinum has the extra sound proofing so if they did anything with the glass in that regard, it would only affect that trim. But I believe the glass the OP is talking about is defective and should be replaced.

Peter

My EXP is flawless...The build quality aligns with past Mercedes and BMW's I have had (S500 and Alpina B7). This was one of the reasons I bought the EXP in the first place. I could not believe how nicely the vehicle was assembled and the materials used.

This is a high end vehicle!!! The same goes for my wifes F150 KR. 2 of the nicest vehicles we have ever owned.

He must have a defective vehicle or dealer mishandled inspections at arrival...Not sure of what is cheap under the hood, but all of this should have been noticed at delivery of the vehicle or prior to buying...

After more than six months of ownership, I'm still loving my Platinum. I looked carefully at my Explorer's side windows yesterday, and they are crystal clear -- no waviness detected. Also, I think all the under-hood stuff appears to be well engineered and tidy. Nothing cheap about it.

Unless his is defective. That is why I mentioned that it (wavy glass) doesn't sound right. Only the 2016 Platinum has the extra sound proofing so if they did anything with the glass in that regard, it would only affect that trim. But I believe the glass the OP is talking about is defective and should be replaced.

Peter

Maybe it's his eyes.
I know my eyes aren't exactly as good as they were a decade ago and now I have the unfortunate "X" restriction on my drivers license :(

Maybe it's his eyes.
I know my eyes aren't exactly as good as they were a decade ago and now I have the unfortunate "X" restriction on my drivers license :(
Could be.;) I didn't realize how much the volume on the radio was turned until I got hearing aids.:)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was just bringing up the fact that QC is out the window.

As was your due diligence to ensure that all was in order prior to taking delivery the first time....Of course an upstanding dealership would most likely have noticed the flaws and corrected them during their own pre-delivery inspection prior to turning the vehicle over to their customer...

Back