• Register Today It's free!

Platinum sony sound system

fordfan2006

Reaction score
City, State
Mooresville Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford F150 King Ranch
My mom has a 2016 Explorer Platinum with 50 miles on it. i used the CD player in it for the first time yesterday and in her 2013 Limited it'd sound great but i turned it up to the same volume level as i would in the 2013 and it sounded as the front speakers were the only ones working. for a little bit there was hardly any bass but after a bit you could hear bass i checked all the settings and they are in the middle of the car. is this normal? ( the normal volume for music i have it at is 1 big bar and 3 or 4 little bars so not super loud but loud enough it sounds like a surround sound system) tonight i will stick my head up to the speakers and see if they all are working. I also think that was the first time the radio had even been powered on since being built.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The system in our Platinum is working great. Very powerful and in surround mode sound is seeming coming from everywhere.

Sounds like you have it in "surround" mode. I have found that with certain types of music the "surround" mode is better than the "stereo" mode. Most of the time I leave it in "stereo" mode as this accommodates more of the music I listen to. Also, with it in "stereo" mode the bass, mid bass, and treble settings need to be increased.

Note:
There are a few post about all of this good and bad. I have had many audiophile systems over the years and this is by far the best system I have had in a Ford and is on par with some I have had in Mercedes and BMW. Can it be improved, absolutely, but very nice still...

My mom has a 2016 Explorer Platinum with 50 miles on it. i used the CD player in it for the first time yesterday and in her 2013 Limited it'd sound great but i turned it up to the same volume level as i would in the 2013 and it sounded as the front speakers were the only ones working. for a little bit there was hardly any bass but after a bit you could hear bass i checked all the settings and they are in the middle of the car. is this normal? ( the normal volume for music i have it at is 1 big bar and 3 or 4 little bars so not super loud but loud enough it sounds like a surround sound system) tonight i will stick my head up to the speakers and see if they all are working. I also think that was the first time the radio had even been powered on since being built.
Sounds you have it set just a touch louder than mine.

Attachments

• P4250228_001.JPG
    P4250228_001.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 299

Sounds like you have it in "surround" mode. I have found that with certain types of music the "surround" mode is better than the "stereo" mode. Most of the time I leave it in "stereo" mode as this accommodates more of the music I listen to. Also, with it in "stereo" mode the bass, mid bass, and treble settings need to be increased.

Note:
There are a few post about all of this good and bad. I have had many audiophile systems over the years and this is by far the best system I have had in a Ford and is on par with some I have had in Mercedes and BMW. Can it be improved, absolutely, but very nice still...
yes it was in surround mode but it was just some Toby Keith so i doubt it was the music the bass was at 2 or 3 along with the midrange and the treble was at 4 I don't think it is working right. i asked my brother and he said the same thing so it isnt my hearing either.

Sounds you have it set just a touch louder than mine.
Yeah 1 or 2 notches more though. thats as high as it went in the 2013 and its as high as its going to go in the 2016

yes it was in surround mode but it was just some Toby Keith so i doubt it was the music the bass was at 2 or 3 along with the midrange and the treble was at 4 I don't think it is working right. i asked my brother and he said the same thing so it isnt my hearing either.

Might be equipment related, but don't discount that the source (music file) can't cause this. Especially MP# files (even though you said it was a CD).

Does the same thing occur when you try different CD's? If so then most likely hardware issue.

Best of luck...

Back