Is this a good deal!? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this a good deal!?

I've heard many things were better in the 4th gens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've heard many things were better in the 4th gens.

Thing is they have a lot of extra crap I don't really want.

I don't want TPMS.

I don't want throttle by wire.

I don't really want reverse sensors that have to be maintained when they go bad when I install a backup camera anyway.

I don't like the single bulb/dule filament headlight design, a step backwards IMO.

I'm a bells and whistles guy. My most recent Audi spoiled me.
I want all those features, so maybe the 4th gen is better for me. It still lacks
Stuff that I'll be able to add to it. We'll see. I think I can break under 3,000 I really think it will be worth going to look at. I told them no way for 3200.
So they want to know mY offer, I was thinking 2800. Maybe I should try 2600 and see what they say. An entire solenoid pack for the tranny is 300 so I could have the repair covered. I need to see it in person first tho, I think it's a v6. Advance track is fwd or 4wd. I'll ask. It has features I want like sunroof etc...

I'd be highly suspect on the trans issue. I'd have to have it inspected by a trans shop, otherwise expect needing to put a $2,500 trans in it.

Another thing, I picked up my '05 4.0 before my '04 4.6. I was hesitant on the '04 because I thought a V8 would be a gas guzzler. Wife convinced my anyways.

I would NEVER buy another V6 4.0. When I'm searching craigslist, the number one thing I look for is engine size. If it's a V6, I don't care how new it is or what gizmos and accessories it has, how low the miles are, wether it comes with 10 gold bars to sweeten the deal, I'm not going to buy it and I don't even look into the ad any further.

The 4.0 is a dog and a grenade waiting to happen. Drove my wife's '05 the last two days, took my '04 this morning. Just reinforced how much I wished we'd gotten a V8 in hers as well.

The only thing a V6 model is good for, is parting out.
I do mean to be harsh and I do own a 4.0 SOHC, so people, don't get all butt hurt.

The '06 you are looking at is V6 as it does not have the V8 badge on the rear hatch.

A side note, I love my '94 4.0 OHV.

Yeah I agree. Considering they get similar mpg I'd prefer the v8.

The only thing a V6 model is good for, is parting out.

LOL! Tell that to all the SOHC owners with 200K+ miles. I understand peoples' bias can blind them and make then closed minded but such statements are rather funny. And the junkyards are full of V8's waiting to be parted out (along with the V6's.) That said, if I were in the market for another Ex I would probably get a V8. I just can't get my SOHC to die! And no, I'm not 'butt hurt.' (Funny line tho!!)

:salute:

I won't let a v6 keep me from buying it. If i could fix it i could flip it if I wanted to sell it for a v8 down the road. Even if it needed a new tranny i would still be under its kbb and nada.... I'll buy anything i can make my money back on a year or two later. That's a positive investment. I've bought so many vehicles this way. Technically been driving multiple vehicles for free for years. Lol
My wife's v6 pathfinder averages 17mpg. I'll survive he v6 or v8.
My f150 doesn't get that much anyway...

00E0E_8ynyOGbKaqp_600x450.jpg

Who mounted that license plate bracket?!

Woooooooow. lol Just noticed that.

NRA member...dunno if you smoke butts but after owning a few used vehicles owned by smokers...NEVER AGAIN

Yeah, Non Smoker here. One of my previous explorers was a smoker and it was terrible.

thanks guys

What about this deal. Just needs a tranny solenoid pack according to them....

How are the 06's.
http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5530869592.html

I talked them down to 3200. I think I can get it a little bit lower.

My wife and I are expecting, and we have to sell her suv to get rid of the pathfinder and she can't drive my truck.
So, if this 06 explorer looks promising I'm willing to take a chance at it....
They told me it was perfect until they found the transmission would pop out of gear and took it to a transmission shop.
The shop said it was definitely the solenoid sensor on the transmission. Well, the entire pack is $150 and I can replace it myself.
This would be great for my family if it panned out.

They still haven't sold this one and are firm on the price.
Eh....

The '05 was the most solid version of the 3rd gen.
Were there notable improvements as the series went along? Mine's a 2002 but I've been considering looking for another and selling this one off.

Like the OP, I like the 3rd gen. the best visually, but I've also been considering looking for a 4th gen. instead.

I don't want TPMS.

I don't want throttle by wire.

I don't really want reverse sensors that have to be maintained when they go bad when I install a backup camera anyway.

I don't like the single bulb/dule filament headlight design, a step backwards IMO.
Why don't you like these features and what is TPMS?

Trying to decide if I get a new one if I'll stick with 3rd or go to 4th gen.
They still haven't sold this one and are firm on the price.
I know you like this one and you should probably see if they'll let you take it to a transmission shop.

Also meeting them in person works a lot better for getting the price down, as long as you can make them like you and not seem desperate or rich.

If the transmission shop (different one than they used) agrees with the previous analysis then it looks like a good deal to me, but if they tell you to rebuild the entire transmission like I had to do then you might be able to get a huge reduction in price.

tpms is Tire Pressure Monitoring System. I love my vehicles that do have them.
Having worked at a tire shop, it allows you to possibly save the tire if it gets a flat.
Also helps prevent experiencing a blow out.

Yeah I'll talk to them this week.

Back