What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Installed the OEM hitch on my 2016, along with the bmc customs bumper protector.

A0E429F0-ABBB-480A-BF12-CB6D058E105F.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had the roof wrapped with gloss black to continue the "tinted glass" look.

image3_zpsgafy1lke.jpg

I put a brand new battery in my less-than-2-years-old fauXplorer.

Yep, I remain unimpressed with the 5th generation Explorer. My previous three Explorers had batteries that lasted close to 5 years. My 1995 had the original battery when I sold it in 2003 with 160,000 miles.

Yep, I remain unimpressed with the 5th generation Explorer. My previous three Explorers had batteries that lasted close to 5 years. My 1995 had the original battery when I sold it in 2003 with 160,000 miles.

A friend of mine had an Acura MDX (don't know which year), that had major battery issues. He had to change his every year or so. The dealer told him that was normal since there were so many electronics installed in these SUVs nowadays.

I was with him one morning headed to the airport and we stopped to get gas. He shut off the motor, pumped the gas, and when he got back in, the battery was dead. No warning at all (it started and acted fine when we first left). Luckily there was someone there that could jump start us. Talk about stress.

mmartin028,
I'm pretty used to that kind of stuff. I managed a small fleet (mine, my wife and two driving aged kids) for many years. I keep a Series 27 battery charged and ready to go and have some really beefy jumper cables too. I think I've had to use this set-up a dozen times or more over the past 3 or 4 years. The consumer grade jump start devices and consumer grade jumper cables don't usually have enough power to jump even a slightly dead battery.

I think the newer batteries die abruptly when a cell shorts out versus the older batteries that were more ruggedly built that died more slowly because of chemical wear rather than mechanical failure.

It is true that the modern, electrically dependent vehicles are pretty rough on batteries. Still, you should be getting way more than a year out of a new battery. I'd expect at least 4.

Bad batteries? Bad charging system?

And it does seem that when your electrically dependent vehicle's battery does go bad, it goes bad FAST.

acura had an electrical drain or kept buying no name batteries. I would be pretty annoyed if my new brand name battery needed to be replaced after 4 or even 5 years, unless I regularly ran the battery down or left it parked for weeks at a time.

P.S. the acura probably had a drain on the hands free module or sticking a/c relay;) if everything else tested fine, most service advisors are compulsive liars.

It is true that the modern, electrically dependent vehicles are pretty rough on batteries. Still, you should be getting way more than a year out of a new battery. I'd expect at least 4.

Bad batteries? Bad charging system?

And it does seem that when your electrically dependent vehicle's battery does go bad, it goes bad FAST.

acura had an electrical drain or kept buying no name batteries. I would be pretty annoyed if my new brand name battery needed to be replaced after 4 or even 5 years, unless I regularly ran the battery down or left it parked for weeks at a time.

P.S. the acura probably had a drain on the hands free module or sticking a/c relay;) if everything else tested fine, most service advisors are compulsive liars.
There are several threads in addition to the Battery Life thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375500&highlight=battery that talk about early battery failures. I believe some had to be replaced with weeks of getting the vehicle. I get the Battery Saver (low battery) warning every month and I'm sure it is because I don't drive the vehicle enough or long enough. Had that issue with the 2011 Explorer and with the current MKT. After trickle charging for 10 hours or so it is fine for another 3-4 weeks, or less.

Peter

I checked the draw on mine parked and it was about .14 amps, a little high but shouldn't reduce the life of a battery and still starts after sitting for a few weeks :dunno:. I would be curious what their draw was, maybe it was a bad batch of batteries, or they sat on the lot with a dead battery for too long?

I have tried the Costco brand batteries before and they don't seem to last as long but they do have a good warranty:D

There are several threads in addition to the Battery Life thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375500&highlight=battery that talk about early battery failures. I believe some had to be replaced with weeks of getting the vehicle. I get the Battery Saver (low battery) warning every month and I'm sure it is because I don't drive the vehicle enough or long enough. Had that issue with the 2011 Explorer and with the current MKT. After trickle charging for 10 hours or so it is fine for another 3-4 weeks, or less.

Peter

front-3-small.jpg
front-1-small.jpg
back-2-small.jpg
back-1-small.jpg
Did some Plastidipping today on the front grill, back emblems, and chrome strip. Used a couple of coats of the Plastidip Glossifier on top to give it some shine and hopefully more protection from rocks and bugs.

I'm not sure if I'm 100% satisfied with the rough textured look of the Plastidip. If I get tired of it, I may have everything professionally painted.

May tackle the wheels tomorrow.

your dealer might have smurfed up the battery before you bought the car - it happens. by that I mean, if it sat there with numerous people getting in it - playing with the touch screen/radio etc, not starting the car or the numerous starts per week etc. and they didn't every put the battery on a charger to maintain it - it was gradually being killed.

also you might have had a bad battery - it happens. Plates just too weak, crack off on the bottom - short out the cell and you'll lose capacity quickly.

and finally you might have a charging issue - but I doubt it.

despite somethings you read - modern cars (read built after 2005) pull as much as 2 amps off the battery just sitting in the garage. it varies greatly, but most are 1amp. your 1995 explorer might not have pulled 0.5 amps.

I would put even money on the either of those situations first. I would however check the charging system of the car also.

mmartin028,
I'm pretty used to that kind of stuff. I managed a small fleet (mine, my wife and two driving aged kids) for many years. I keep a Series 27 battery charged and ready to go and have some really beefy jumper cables too. I think I've had to use this set-up a dozen times or more over the past 3 or 4 years. The consumer grade jump start devices and consumer grade jumper cables don't usually have enough power to jump even a slightly dead battery.

I think the newer batteries die abruptly when a cell shorts out versus the older batteries that were more ruggedly built that died more slowly because of chemical wear rather than mechanical failure.

so something oft glossed over.

modern batteries - because lead is bad man - and weight specs come into play - have thinner plates inside than there counterparts from 20 years ago.

now most are often more shock resistant too - but shorted cells is far more likely today than it used to be. OH and your MX free batteries have less fluid in them than they used to as well.

I do like the new AGM designs - and my last replacement battery for a car was a duracell AGM from Sam's club. so far so good.

Got the dee zee running boards installed

2016-04-18%2022.11.22_zpsmrlugoff.jpg

for 10.5"? wheels they tuck in pretty good compared to factory. I'm surprised they don't rub at full lock of the steering wheel:eek:

0 rub on full lock, got lucky. guarantee nothing bigger would fit. have spacers and extended studs being installed soon to push out the rears to be s little more flush, front and back spacers.

yes, love the concave. the truck swallows them up pretty good. 10.5 +45 offset

Looks great... Thinking to upgrade. Thanks for the specifications and enjoy.

Sorry but I don't seem to find it. Can you detail rims height and tires specifications??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back