Used Explorer- 2014, 2015 or wait? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Used Explorer- 2014, 2015 or wait?

Gregr6

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT/202A
Hi all,
Bottom line- is there anything in the 2016 Explorer that the 2014 or 2015 has that you think is deal breaker?
Long explanation- it's time for me to get a new [used] car. I'm coming from a Honda Pilot- 220K miles with almost no non- wear and tear related repairs since I bought it new but now the coolant system has a leak, it needs new tires and it got dented :(. Those repairs would cost more than the car is worth most likely.
My main use is city driving but 2 or 3 times a year I take it on long trips- Canadian and Colorado Rockies, Pacific Northwest, etc. On those trips I do a lot of dirt roads.
Been waffling between a 2014 and 2015 XLT and I just read the 2017s come out in a few months. Adds to my waffles.... I'd like to keep the price down but am willing to pay more if it's worth it.
So far the main thing I see that I like in the 2016's that's not available (as far as I know) in the '14 and '15 is the 2.3l Ecoboost engine. I worry though about the turbo and future repairs as I've heard so many turbo woes, not with the Explorer- just in general.
I'll be buying from a dealership near me where a family friend is the finance and used car manager. He said he'll make sure I get a certified model that comes with a lifetime warranty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not to make matters worse but if you wait a few months, you could get a 2017 with Sync 3 and Apple's CarPlay, heh.

That is not helpful lol.
I've been reading like crazy. I think it will come down to whatever lucky deal I can find. It's a pretty good sized dealership- they get a lot of cars and I don't mind waiting a while for a great deal to come along.

I have a 2011 XLT v6 and a 2016 Sport....I would never buy another Explorer without the 3.5 EcoBoost.

Thank you for the input. 350hp... I would need to take an immediate vacation.

I have a 2011 XLT v6 and a 2016 Sport....I would never buy another Explorer without the 3.5 EcoBoost.

If you want a hot rod the Explorer aint it no matter what engine you buy. I know the performance of the sport is fun but reality is it's not fast. I sold my 2011 Malibu LTZ v6 that was faster then the sport. I had to grasp the fact it was no hot rod either. Use the speed when necessary, passing entering freeways spanking Porches. (I spanked two...) for a time, but all I was doing was abusing the poor little 6 cylinder. I had to drive my buddies C5 Corvette to realize it.
The Gen 5 Explorer,s v6 is fine for what is intended.
As to the OP's questions my first thought is how much does he want to spend. He already noted the finance tie in so to assume a payment how much does he wish to spend. How does he want it equip t? Monthly payment??
In the end it's transportation and his intended use as well as these other details can define his decision. Lot's of lease returns with low mileage and well cared for if he finds the right one. Could be a sport...........

Fact is I live in Los Angeles so having a fast car is fun until the end of the onramp and then there's so much traffic it hardly matters. Ok, maybe not that bad but I've been living with the 245hp on the old Pilot so 290 should be a big step up. I think the 2l Ecoboost motor even has more power than the Pilot.
Money is an important issue- there will be financing. Tomorrow morning I'm going to the lot to do some test driving, see what's available and get some numbers. I'll go home and think it over at that point.
What are the chances I'll pass on a deal that I'll regret not jumping on? There doesn't seem to be any shortage of low mileage used Explorers based on my searches so far. I plan on going with the knowledge of the current prices, as best I can anyways, so if there is something that I absolutely love then I'll get it, assuming the numbers work and there's a solid warranty.
Things I don't need- off the top of my head- 4WD, nav, power liftgate, 20" wheels.

What a great help that is- thanks!

Fact is I live in Los Angeles so having a fast car is fun until the end of the onramp and then there's so much traffic it hardly matters. Ok, maybe not that bad but I've been living with the 245hp on the old Pilot so 290 should be a big step up. I think the 2l Ecoboost motor even has more power than the Pilot.
Money is an important issue- there will be financing. Tomorrow morning I'm going to the lot to do some test driving, see what's available and get some numbers. I'll go home and think it over at that point.
What are the chances I'll pass on a deal that I'll regret not jumping on? There doesn't seem to be any shortage of low mileage used Explorers based on my searches so far. I plan on going with the knowledge of the current prices, as best I can anyways, so if there is something that I absolutely love then I'll get it, assuming the numbers work and there's a solid warranty.
Things I don't need- off the top of my head- 4WD, nav, power liftgate, 20" wheels.

Yeah, if 20 inch wheels, 4WD, power liftgate are the options that you don't need maybe the Explorer base with some options will do. 16 Explorers range from one of the cheapest SUV to Sport and it depends on the options that you need.
Always remember that Explorer pricing for used cars drops big time, almost similar to German's X5, almost 50 percent in value in 3-4 years.
I got a 16 Sport but the warranty is one of the worst, 3 years, 38K warranty or something like that. Germans have 4 years, 50K warranty. If you need a 10 year plus warranty Hyundai has a 10 plus years factory warranty.

I'm not sure what to make of that- was it meant to be snarky?
It's looking like LTD is what I want mainly because of the seats- really like those leather seats that are heated. Other things I like too (wheels and the whole interior) and based on the prices I'm seeing for 2014 and 15s they're do-able. Roughly 30K (with low mileage).

Just got the Explorer Sport a few month ago and someone run into my back bumper scratched my rear defuser middle part plastic which covers the trailer hitch. Stopped by the dealer today and and a small plastic part was 109 bucks with tax included. Asked if they can remove the scratched part and the service manager told me that installing it I will need to pay other $35 for labor if not more.
LOL, read this forums old thread and went outside and popped out the part myself. Not sure about Honda service, but Ford will not bend backwords if something goes wrong. I got the car 2 month ago and they don't even seem to care. Went back inside, $35 charge for just popping this plastic part out, hehe. Left the dealership and informed them to send me a customers survey that i can fill out. got a few missed calls later today. What a joke Ford. Is that how you treat you customers when I buy a 50K+MSRP car?

Ouch- sorry to hear that and point taken.
Don't ever buy an Infiniti! That same part would've cost $2700 and no, that is not an exaggeration. Service was good though. Honda- I gave up on them quick because my experience with the dealer near my house was about the same as yours. Found a good mechanic and have been using him for the last ten years.

Ouch- sorry to hear that and point taken.
Don't ever buy an Infiniti! That same part would've cost $2700 and no, that is not an exaggeration. Service was good though. Honda- I gave up on them quick because my experience with the dealer near my house was about the same as yours. Found a good mechanic and have been using him for the last ten years.

Yeah, but I was still under warranty and just bought the truck a few month ago and will continue to make my monthly finance payments and there is no need to find an indie mechanical shop as the car is 16 XP sport, non of the parts are carried by indies and the transport / install would be a hassle to me. I thought that someone would remember me at Ford dealership, BUT NO. They wont remember you, at least from my experience.
Just recently I realized how important it is to have a good customer support after buying a 50K vehicle from Ford. I don't know about Infiniti, but Ford is not there. Not sure why. My friend has a BMW and he told me today that BMW will lean backwards to him, not sure what he means by it but will ask him later.

Yeah, but I was still under warranty and just bought the truck a few month ago and will continue to make my monthly finance payments and there is no need to find an indie mechanical shop as the car is 16 XP sport, non of the parts are carried by indies and the transport / install would be a hassle to me. I thought that someone would remember me at Ford dealership, BUT NO. They wont remember you, at least from my experience.
Just recently I realized how important it is to have a good customer support after buying a 50K vehicle from Ford. I don't know about Infiniti, but Ford is not there. Not sure why. My friend has a BMW and he told me today that BMW will lean backwards to him, not sure what he means by it but will ask him later.

Ford is a dealership model is based on $30k cars. Don't expect luxury dealer service for the higher end Ford's. You want luxury dealer service, buy an X5. They will treat you better, and you get a courtesy car under the regular warranty. Since I buy used with about 6 months left on bumper to bumper, I'm generally not in dealers much. Any way you look at it, having to go to any dealer is a hassle.

There will not be much difference in the vehicle (14, 15, 16) as you are looking at the XLT except the motor as you noted. The motor alone is a big upgrade as it has been received and reviewed well by many. The 2.0L would struggle at times moving such a large vehicle. The 2.3 is a big upgrade!!! If you get the v6 equipped then you will really not see much difference.

With all of this said, I would opt for the 16 especially if you are not demanding on options. I'm sure there are great deals on 16's as the 17's are due to arrive sometime soon (most likely summer / early fall).

With the good experience you had with Honda, why would you shop Ford? Just curious...

First, the standard V-6 has plenty of power. I personally find the drivability of the 2.3l as sub standard with a horrible four banger sound. My dealership recommended the V-6 over the 2.3.
The 3.5 EB a very nice engine, but not necessarily worth it if you are in a budget or unless you tow.
IMO, the explorer is no race car, and the standard V-6 is perfect for the price.

I would also consider new. If you borrow, 0% saves you thousands. Plus some of the late model prices are so close to new that it's almost insulting.

Again, thanks for all the great info folks.
Question- are you saying the standard 3.5l V6 won't feel like much of an upgrade compared to the Pilot? That would change my mind as I was thinking the standard motor would be fine if I found an LTD that had everything else I wanted.
Looking at the specs I see the 2.3l Ecoboost has ten less hp but but more torch than the V6. Torch vs horsepower. Honda appears to be 35hp less with about the same torch as the Ex V6 hmmm.
The question of why I'm jumping the Honda ship- holy cow have you seen how ugly Pilots have been for the last several years?! Like, AMC Pacer ugly. They made some good improvements this year (number one on some lists) so I may've considered it but the prices are very high for a used 2016 and there aren't many around. I'd really like to buy American. The Durango and Traverse- I hope to test drive them today. If I were choosing just on looks I'd go with the Explorer. Durango second and the Traverse has pretty good features so I haven't discounted it completely. I also considered a Flex since it has the space I need. Lower mileage and practically zero ground clearance put it low on my list.

Thanks Tuscany- that is key info. No towing here.
I've been offered 2.9%, which sounded pretty decent. Regarding the power issue- the Pilot was acceptable to me so as long as it's at least as good as that I'll be happy.
I'm up at 4 in the morning going over specs....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

........ Not sure about Honda service, but Ford will not bend backwords if something goes wrong. I got the car 2 month ago and they don't even seem to care. ........Is that how you treat you customers when I buy a 50K+MSRP car?
It isn't Ford, per se, but the dealership. To say "Ford" doesn't care in this case is unfair since dealerships are independently owned. My dealership has time and again shown that they do care. They even know me by name and have gone beyond the norm a few times.

Peter

Back