Shift to Park Warning | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift to Park Warning

I have a 2013 Interceptor Utility. Getting this shift to park issue but its coupled with door ajar (for the driver door)

Sometimes when I slam the door hard enough it will go away. Other times it won't. Thinking this is more of a door sensor issue than a shifter issue. Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2013 Interceptor Utility. Getting this shift to park issue but its coupled with door ajar (for the driver door)

Sometimes when I slam the door hard enough it will go away. Other times it won't. Thinking this is more of a door sensor issue than a shifter issue. Thoughts?
There is a TSB for the door issue. See the following thread that I found using the Forum's 'Search' program;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414809&highlight=door+ajar
The thread also talks about the Interceptor having this issue. Post 11 indicates the TSB.

Peter

Yup, it would be your door sensor. The vehicle will tell you to shift to park if the door is open and it is in D or R etc (not in park).

Haven't had this issue with my Explorer but recently had it on my 2015 F350. It would randomly say my door was open while driving and it would be very brief.

There is a TSB for the door issue. See the following thread that I found using the Forum's 'Search' program;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414809&highlight=door+ajar
The thread also talks about the Interceptor having this issue. Post 11 indicates the TSB.

Peter

I actually commented on that a while back. I must have missed it.

The TSB I found didn't include the Utility, and since they are two seperate vehicles I figured it would not apply to me.

Thank You.

I actually commented on that a while back. I must have missed it.

The TSB I found didn't include the Utility, and since they are two seperate vehicles I figured it would not apply to me.

Thank You.

Even Ford lumps them together sometimes which is wrong. The TSB comes up when entering OASIS as a Utility, so it applies.

Thanks. If it's something I can fix I'm going to do it an save myself the heartache. The last time I had my car in for service, it was doing the door ajar thing, but of course, the day I brought it in, that morning it had stopped and they were not able to diagnose. With my luck it would happen again.

The message says "shift to park", not "not in park".. that is why you didn't find the thread when you searched.

If outside ofbwarranty, about a $130 part. Read through the thread, I listed exactly how to duplicate it to the dealer if they need to see it for themselves but most should know about the problem now

that was probably it... Im just a dumb electrician you have to excuse me!

Mine does this as well on my 2012 limited. Just push the button on shifter a few times quick and it goes away.

Anyone else have these problems? First black screen lasted about 3 days before I got the system updating screen & all seemed well again. Month later it happened again so off to the dealer it went. I have also been dealing with the shift to park problem for almost a year, well before the black screen issue. They had my car for 4 days waiting for the new sync system board to arrive which was covered under warranty. I repeatedly asked about the shift to park & please address it since they had the car & believe it or not I don't have all kinds of extra time to be going back & forth to the dealer & being with out transportation for so long. They insisted that the shift to park was directly related to the sync system board & replacing it would resolve everything. I called bullshit right away & told them to make dam sure it was fixed before I picked the car up.
Guess what, customer was right. I went to pick the car up but gee, I had a dead battery because the display was on all day with the SHIFT TO PARK displaying plain as day. Now I am really pissed. I know the only reason why it was not addressed is because they are not getting paid for the labor to replace the shift knob. YES the entire shift stick has to be replaced because of a tiny micro switch attached to the lock button.
Now yet another trip back & forth to the dealer for more work done & 0 compensation for my time & aggravation. If I was a sadistic kind of person I would have bought a Dodge. I am not, and I am pissed!
Is Friendly Ford in Poughkeepsie NY the only Ford dealer that dose shady ass work or are all the Ford dealers like this??

I'd find a new dealer.

I'd find a new dealer.
You would think that the dealer you bought the car from, asking price!, would treat you better. Next closest dealer is 45 minuets away & worst than the one that's 5 minuets away.

Shift to Park Warning keeps coming on

Out of about 12 trips daily in my 2011 Explorer Limited 19K, at least 3 or 4 times each day I started getting the message "Shift to Park" along with a warning chime after pushing the lever to the park position and turning off the key. I have to move the shift lever around and sometimes restart and re-shift to park. I know its warranty, but I am concerned since you can't seem to make it happen on demand, but at least 20% of my trips end this way, and it takes sometimes a minute or two messing with it to make the chime and warning go away. Looking to see if this has happened to anyone else, or is just a fluke on my Exp, and can it be easily fixed? Thanks!
Your thread has been merged with this existing one I found using the 'Search' function on the same issue of 'Shift to Park. The shifter has to be replaced. I'm guessing the other issue mentioned was a bad APIM which they replaced.

Peter

This has been happening to me a few times in the last month. I can 'slap' the shifter into park again and the warning goes away so far. I have 92k KM's so out of warranty!

This has been happening to me a few times in the last month. I can 'slap' the shifter into park again and the warning goes away so far. I have 92k KM's so out of warranty!

I know this thread is getting lengthy so I'll save you some time. It has nothing to do with slappying the shifter. If you get the message, flick the trigger button you have to squeeze to move the lever... a quick tap of the button will clear the message.

does any one really now what is causing the problem? seems better to repair than just to flick the release button.

does any one really now what is causing the problem? seems better to repair than just to flick the release button.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Shifter has to be replaced to fix this. I believe some members have done it themselves.

Peter

"shift to park" message Solution!! Just flick or tap the button or trigger on the front of the shifter and the P should light up and the message should disappear.

Anyone else have these problems? First black screen lasted about 3 days before I got the system updating screen & all seemed well again. Month later it happened again so off to the dealer it went. I have also been dealing with the shift to park problem for almost a year, well before the black screen issue. They had my car for 4 days waiting for the new sync system board to arrive which was covered under warranty. I repeatedly asked about the shift to park & please address it since they had the car & believe it or not I don't have all kinds of extra time to be going back & forth to the dealer & being with out transportation for so long. They insisted that the shift to park was directly related to the sync system board & replacing it would resolve everything. I called bullshit right away & told them to make dam sure it was fixed before I picked the car up.
Guess what, customer was right. I went to pick the car up but gee, I had a dead battery because the display was on all day with the SHIFT TO PARK displaying plain as day. Now I am really pissed. I know the only reason why it was not addressed is because they are not getting paid for the labor to replace the shift knob. YES the entire shift stick has to be replaced because of a tiny micro switch attached to the lock button.
Now yet another trip back & forth to the dealer for more work done & 0 compensation for my time & aggravation. If I was a sadistic kind of person I would have bought a Dodge. I am not, and I am pissed!
Is Friendly Ford in Poughkeepsie NY the only Ford dealer that dose shady ass work or are all the Ford dealers like this??
No

"shift to park" message Solution!! Just flick or tap the button or trigger on the front of the shifter and the P should light up and the message should disappear.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
That has been mentioned a few times but unfortunately it doesn't fix the underlying problem.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

............Now I am really pissed. I know the only reason why it was not addressed is because they are not getting paid for the labor to replace the shift knob. YES the entire shift stick has to be replaced because of a tiny micro switch attached to the lock button..........

I don't understand why they wouldn't be paid for the labour to replace the shifter. I'm guessing the warranty has expired so they would have billed you for the work. As for the question if all Ford dealers are like this, I agree with tuin42man that they are not.

Peter

Back