Thinking about buying this clutch anyone have any opinion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking about buying this clutch anyone have any opinion

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good. Around the same price as the luk clutch kit that I installed on my ex. I went with luk because I read somewhere that they are used on fords from the factory. Not sure if that's true or not. I would suggest getting a genuine ford slave cylinder. I went with the generic slave. A year later and so far so good but I wonder if I'm going to end up replacing it prematurely. The clutch just broke in.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4696155&cc=1119631&jnid=420&jpid=10

I run that ebay clutch in my ranger..i broke it in for 500 miles and then glazed it doing 2nd gear launches..i pulled it out and sanded the clutch and flywheel and put it back in..grabs hard in 1st but wont handle my power in 2nd..

Its a full on or off clutch and chatters bad from day one..i personally dont recommend it..any puck clutch isnt going to have good street driveability..

get a luk its OE or if you need something stronger suck it up and buy a centerforce dual friction or SPEC

Can't go wrong with a Luk. And as mentioned above, go with a Ford slave only.

By all means get the Luk clutch.

The springs in the 6 puck are going to soften it a bit,but not much. Judder from the the get go I would suspect.
But one thing I would recommend is to tap in your clutch before you install it.
It's easy,take the dusk and lay it on the pressure plate,and tap it lightly with your fingers.
What you are listening for is rattles,where the dusk isn't flat. The places that rattle bend them fortnightly with your hands ,until both sides don't rattle.
It will help break in your clutch faster. I am an assembler for a major clutch manufacturer,we tap.in all of our disks before they get sealed up. I build about 100-150 disks a day,some are ceramic six puck. And we do this to every disk.
Greg

Spoke to one of the Engineers at work today. Do not use that clutch.
You want an organic disk,with a sprung hub.
If you feel like you need a heavier clutch,get the heavy duty pressure plate. But that one will be difficult to modulate, and judder like a fool until it gets warm.
Greg

I just went with a luk. Thanks for the input guys saved me a huge headache

centerforce dual friction
Don't waste your $ on this. In the Explorer/Ranger application it does not benefit at all from what Centerforce claims. Because of the design it doesn't use the centrifugal weight system, & also because of the design can not use the Patented Ball Bearing Pressure Plate. It uses a nice machined & painted stock PP. It looks pretty though. I ran one.

I love the Center Force in my explorer, mostly because of the pedal feels much stiffer. Just put a Luk clutch and flywheel in the Ranger I just bought, seems to be a great OE replacement, the pedal is a lot softer then I'm used to though.
I got mine at Napa, they are Luk products rebranded for Napa. They had the best price I could find for the Luk parts.

Don't waste your $ on this. In the Explorer/Ranger application it does not benefit at all from what Centerforce claims. Because of the design it doesn't use the centrifugal weight system, & also because of the design can not use the Patented Ball Bearing Pressure Plate. It uses a nice machined & painted stock PP. It looks pretty though. I ran one.

Looks pretty all tucked up inside the transmission where nobody can see it right? ;)

I love the Center Force in my explorer, mostly because of the pedal feels much stiffer. Just put a Luk clutch and flywheel in the Ranger I just bought, seems to be a great OE replacement, the pedal is a lot softer then I'm used to though.
I got mine at Napa, they are Luk products rebranded for Napa. They had the best price I could find for the Luk parts.

Pretty sure the OEM clutch were all made by Luk as well. At least based off what most people around here have said

You sure you got the dual friction and not the stage 2 or whatever they call the one under that?? I swore they used all the parts that any other dual friction used..ive never heard anyone say they dont like it,everyone on here has high reviews of it..think even [MENTION=71]Rick[/MENTION] runs one

Back