Lowering the Explorer | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer

We really have no other option for lowering? Something less aggressive?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1.6-2" is not aggressive considering the total availabe suspension travel available (whatever it is). What is the point of lowering any less? Unless you want higher spring rates without lowering it. No one makes such springs.

I just got my flex springs installed on my 2013 Explorer Limited. Looking at pictures on this forums I was confident that it was gonna be the perfect drop. When I went to the local shop to pick up my truck I was shocked at how much lower it looks. First words out of my mouth were "my wife is going to kill me" I honestly think this is too low, does this drop look right to you guys or should I get it checked out?
20160423_173500_zpsgt6vnq4u.jpg

20160423_173410_zps353angaz.jpg

20160423_173349_zpsjzrgv42z.jpg

in my situation, the rear is lower than the front it looks like. it reverse raked. I am wanting to believe my rear shocks are dead but they only have 40,000km. there is sooo much camber on the rear now.

Just went to look at mine with h&r ex springs. Its much higher. I am all for low, but this looks too low for this vehicle.

I agree. It's too low. Definitely eliminates the need for those running boards. Also, since raising the Explorer voids the powertrain warranty, I'm guessing lowering it would too.

Peter

Dam, that looks perfect to me, I should of gone with the flex springs instead of the exp ones. This is mine.

image_9.jpg

Wait wait... We have 2 options in h&r springs? What's the difference?

Both options are H&R springs. One is for the Explorer and the other one for the Flex. Both fit the Explorer, with the Flex springs being lower. Since the Flex is not trying to be an SUV.

I agree. It's too low. Definitely eliminates the need for those running boards. Also, since raising the Explorer voids the powertrain warranty, I'm guessing lowering it would too.

Peter

You can not void the powertrain warranty by installing springs. If it is determined that whatever damage was caused by the lower ride height or the process of installation, they may deny coverage of that damage. They will not void your warranty nor will they deny coverage for any unrelated powertrain components in the future.

You can not void the powertrain warranty by installing springs. If it is determined that whatever damage was caused by the lower ride height or the process of installation, they may deny coverage of that damage. They will not void your warranty nor will they deny coverage for any unrelated powertrain components in the future.
An owner of an F-150 who had 'raised' his truck ran into an issue with the powertrain and Ford denied any warranty work because they said the 'lifting' voided the warranty. This was carried on the news here some time ago. It was also pointed out that some of these kits carry their own warranty should the manufacturer deny coverage.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441215&highlight=warranty

Peter

An owner of an F-150 who had 'raised' his truck ran into an issue with the powertrain and Ford denied any warranty work because they said the 'lifting' voided the warranty. This was carried on the news here some time ago. It was also pointed out that some of these kits carry their own warranty should the manufacturer deny coverage.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441215&highlight=warranty

Peter

He should have gone to another dealer. A warranty can not be voided. Coverage can be denied for components that failed as a result of any modifications.

He should have gone to another dealer. A warranty can not be voided. Coverage can be denied for components that failed as a result of any modifications.
Warranty coverage is not approved or denied by a dealer. Coverage or denial thereof is determined by Ford.

Peter

Warranty coverage is not approved or denied by a dealer. Coverage or denial thereof is determined by Ford.

Peter

I agree. It is the dealer who typically tells the customer to take a hike. I don't know how far up the chain this claim was taken.
If the engine spun a bearing, if the water pump failed, if any multitude of engine related components went bad, they can not deny coverage because the customer installed lowering springs. If the differential blew out, yes, I imagine they would be justified to decline to replace it at their cost.

Does anyone on here know anything about poly urethane coil spacers? i was thinking about mayle looking for a 1/2" spacer to raise the rear back up. Any ideas??

Does anyone on here know anything about poly urethane coil spacers? i was thinking about mayle looking for a 1/2" spacer to raise the rear back up. Any ideas??

Theres 2 kinds, one sits on the actual perch at the ends and requires spring removal, might as well buy different springs for the labor involved and sell the Flex ones. The other style is a strip that slides in between the coils either at the very bottom or top with the vehicles suspension in the air when installing, sometimes they pop out. I would just change springs :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone experienced any noise after lowering? It seem if I turn the wheels slightly I get a creaking noise? Other than that I can not reproduce it.

Back