Windows down with the remote? (Global Open) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windows down with the remote? (Global Open)

Actually I was hooked up to a 2012 XLT at the end of June and just pulled up the session. Lists global open and global closed as disabled. Would have to test it on a live vehicle to see if enabling it really enables it.

JMR,
Can you tell me exactly how to get to the screen in IDS? I am going to my dealer tomorrow and I am sorta friendly with the tech that looks at my car so i'll give him specific information to activate and test the global lock and see if it works.

He should know where it is but sometimes fakes ignorance so armed with all the info I can tell him exactly where and what to do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its in module programming....programmable parameters

I can confirm the 2016 Sport doesn't have it either when I test drove it. Despite having the same key style and automatic windows like my Fusion.

I can confirm the 2016 Sport doesn't have it either when I test drove it. Despite having the same key style and automatic windows like my Fusion.

IDS doesn't have the menu option to select it for the 2016 either.

Why Can't I Open Windows on 2016 Plat EX w/Key Fob??

So I've read the instructions and watched the videos a few times...seems prety simple...juts hold down the UNLOCK button for (3) seconds or so and the windows and moonroof should open...Hold the LOCK button and they should close.....This doesn't work at all on my 2016 Explorer Platinum...?

I've been all through the Settings > Vehicle menus....the Driver Assist menus etc.

Little help??

The 11-16 Explorer doesn't have global opening functions.

So I've read the instructions and watched the videos a few times...seems prety simple...juts hold down the UNLOCK button for (3) seconds or so and the windows and moonroof should open...Hold the LOCK button and they should close.....This doesn't work at all on my 2016 Explorer Platinum...?

I've been all through the Settings > Vehicle menus....the Driver Assist menus etc.

Little help??
You stated you read the instructions. Was that in the Owner's Manual? If so, where did you find it?
I believe the 2017 has it but not the 2016 as far as I know.

Peter

Videos

You stated you read the instructions. Was that in the Owner's Manual? If so, where did you find it?
I believe the 2017 has it but not the 2016 as far as I know.

Peter

I Googled it...took me to the Ford owner site....I input the YEAR, model and trim of my '16 Ex and it showed the video on how to open all the windows by holding unlock...guess it is just for '17....?? :(

My '11 Jeep Grand Cherokee had global opening, but it was removed on the '12 models. Jeep had too many complaints about accidental openings on rainy/snowy days.

Wiring from window motors to body control module aren't there.

It looks like it can be programmed just need to add wires.

As soon as I get some time (probably next weekend) I'll try adding wires and enabling it to see if it works.

My '11 Jeep Grand Cherokee had global opening, but it was removed on the '12 models. Jeep had too many complaints about accidental openings on rainy/snowy days.
The system opens and closes all 4 windows on my MKT but have only used it a couple of times in 2 years. No accidental activations. Perhaps a simple option to be able to activate/deactivate the option in the Jeep would have been the answer to the problem.

Peter

Remote control of front windows and moon roof (if equipped) will come with certain packages and trim in 2017.

Remote control of front windows and moon roof (if equipped) will come with certain packages and trim in 2017.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:

Peter

FYI, minor/major electrical detail of power windows; each one takes a good amount of current to open, and there is typically only one power wire for all of the windows.

It isn't really a good idea to feed four power window motors at the same time. Long term wiring, switches and connectors don't survive well with excessive current. I would not do that very often.

If I wanted that function strongly, I'd try to find a way to get them to open one at a time, or else include a monster of a power wire, not the typical 12ga wire I'm used to seeing for power wires.

BTW, you can buy an aftermarket module that will control up to four windows at once, I watched one on eBay long ago, it was $40 IIRC. I didn't buy it but considered it for my two door Mark VII. I may still when I get deep into that car's wiring.

It can be done, but the better question is should it be done. Ford often makes bad decisions for the consumer, but limiting big current through the dash etc, is arguably a good thing.

FYI, minor/major electrical detail of power windows. Each one takes a goo amount of current to open, and there is typically only one power wire for all windows. It isn't really a good idea to feed four power window motors at the same time. Long term wiring, switches and connectors don't survive well with excessive current. I would not do that very often. If I wanted that function strongly, I'd try to find a way to get them to open one at a time, or else include a monster of a power wire, not the typical 12ga wire I'm used to seeing for power wires. BTW, you can buy an aftermarket module that will control up to four windows at once, I watched on on eBay long ago, it was $40 IIRC. I didn't buy it but considered it for my two door Mark VII. I may still when I get deep into that car's wiring. It can be done, but the better question is should it be done. Ford often makes bad decisions for the consumer, but limiting big current through the dash etc, is arguably a good thing.
That one wire is just a signal wire (low current).

Each motor in the system has a microprocessor that receives the signal and opens or closes the window using the heavy gauge power wires that are ran from the power distribution box.

That one wire is just a signal wire (low current).

Each motor in the system has a microprocessor that receives the signal and opens or closes the window using the heavy gauge power wires that are ran from the power distribution box.

That would be great, a big improvement.:salute:

I'm used to the single blue/black wire going into the driver's door, then the master switch, then to the red/blue wire back out to the other doors. I had to do some interesting research for my 99 to get two master switches to work on all four doors. It lets me control all four from the right side door panel(mail vehicle). That took two more relays per door, and six more window wires routed through the car. Fun times, big mess, but it works.

Focus has this option for ages and nobody is complaining, very useful feature. Mine 2007 Focus even had rear windows shades!
Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo-Fusion have this feature because they were disegned in Europe, while Explorer is not even sold there...

Now that I have a 2017 Platinum I have tried the global down feature twice and the moonroof did not open (vent) in either case.

Peter

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now that I have a 2017 Platinum I have tried the global down feature twice and the moonroof did not open (vent) in either case.

Petre

Hi Petre, you could make that work as you want it to, but it would add more current to the wiring during the event. I love the idea of pushing one button to do that kind of thing. The commercials are cool to watch too. But window motors take a bit of juice to run, and Fords all run from the same single power wire. So it takes four time the current to run four down together. That's not good for the wiring long term, they get brittle and break easily eventually.

I'd like to see some "geek" who develops the modules to do these things, make it run them one at a time. I have a module I bought to retrofit to my old 91 2dr Lincoln, to make it do the two windows and the sunroof. I haven't been in a hurry to do it, thinking of the current, and how not hard it is to do them myself.

Back