What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

How about one from the rear, I'm thinking about doing the same thing to mine. Did you do the rear "spoiler" as well?

Here you go. I went back and forth a hundred times on whether or not to do it (spoiler). I may end up doing it but I like the look now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, I like the blacked out top look for sure.

since you did the front strip, I would do the rear strip.

maybe tape it off first - see how you like it in general before you go with the full on wrap.

Mounted the main body of my Yaesu FT-7900 in one of the cubby holes under the police cargo platform.

yaesu-install-2.jpg

And mounted up a Larsen KG-2/70 glass mount antenna to the rear side glass.

yaesu-install-3.jpg

I haven't tuned the antenna yet, but did hit the cross-town repeater on low power (5 watts). Reception is very good too.

I have the speaker under the driver's seat for now. I'll see if I can't find a better place for it.

Added a Huskey liner over the third seat. Feels like a actual cargo area now.

Hi all, first post.

Just picked up a 2015 Sport two weeks ago. Did a VTA and am now currently testing a Lund tune and messing around with it with them. Doing a week of logging and driving. Tomorrow I'll be adding in an Airaid CAI.

Hi all, first post.

Just picked up a 2015 Sport two weeks ago. Did a VTA and am now currently testing a Lund tune and messing around with it with them. Doing a week of logging and driving. Tomorrow I'll be adding in an Airaid CAI.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Time to update your profile. If you still have the Highlander it would be helpful if you added the 2015 Sport to your signature or vice versa since this is an Explorer forum. Thanks.:):thumbsup:

Peter

We picked up our 2015 X Sport a couple weeks ago and I have been busy. We bought it used and it only had 1 key and just the drivers side floor mats. The dealership got me another Ford transmitter key and I bought a new set of floor mats for it. Then the fun began. I of course took off the dealership stickers as well as the EcoBoost AWD badge from the back, 35% tint on the front windows, put on a Livernois V5 tune with 3 bar map and new plugs, had the dealership turn off the DRL since it was a Canadian car and last night I installed TRS HID kit for headlights and fog lights. This is the wifes car so I doubt I will do much else. Now for me to have some free time when the strip is doing test and tune so I can see what she runs.

led-fogs-night.jpg
hal-led-front.jpg
led-fog-2.jpg
led-fog-3.jpg
This weekend I added LED Fogs. Got them on Amazon at:

http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Ext...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

They are much brighter than the halogens, however, they spread some of the light to the sides and higher (above the low beams) as well. I rarely use them during everyday driving, (we don't get much fog in our area) however I think they'll be beneficial when driving on the highway. I'll find out during my next night time trip.

I should be getting the LED headlights sometime this week and will install them next weekend along with LED puddle lights.

This weekend I added a remote start/security module (still needs to be activated), Havis center console and laptop.

On sunday, I've installed a joggle switch(1st row passenger seat control) for the 1st row passenger switch on the bottom of the wiper controller. Now I can adjust the passenger seat position from the driver seat without streaching my arm. :)

image_zpslqyk68df.jpg

image_zpsjpeq98hr.jpg

On sunday, I've installed a joggle switch(1st row passenger seat control) for the 1st row passenger switch on the bottom of the wiper controller. Now I can adjust the passenger seat position from the driver seat without streaching my arm. :)
Just curious as to why that would be necessary? :scratch:

Peter

Just curious as to why that would be necessary? :scratch:

Peter

Hi Peter,
I have 18 month old son who always sits on the 2nd row of the passenger side so my wife always sits by him on the 2nd row.
When my son is in the car seat, he wants his view cleared so 1st row passenger seat is always tilted back. When ever someone have to sit on the passenger side, I have to stretch my arms to the passenger seat control and adjust the seat.
So I installed a switch so I can adjust the seat position from the driver seat.

Bought our 13 explorer sport a couple weeks ago. Yesterday I replaced the license plate bulbs with LEDs and today blacked out the chrome door handles... For the life of me I can't figure out why they would blackout the grill and then do chrome door handles!
Waiting for a string of nice days to do a full detail.

Bought our 13 explorer sport a couple weeks ago. Yesterday I replaced the license plate bulbs with LEDs and today blacked out the chrome door handles... For the life of me I can't figure out why they would blackout the grill and then do chrome door handles!
Waiting for a string of nice days to do a full detail.

What did you use to black out the handles?

What did you use to black out the handles?

I used plastidip. I know this product has some strong opinions for and against it. I personally have the equipment to plastidip entire cars and I Have as well as enclosed trailers, wheels, badges etc. My experience has all been positive as long as I install properly which means a good cleaning, fully dried light even coats and typically no less than 8 coats based on my layer thickness. A couple coats of turtle ice wax make the dip feel less rubbery, if you happen to use the high gloss clear as a top layer and then wax that it feels just like OEM paint but it's still not as durable.

I don't know for sure how well this will hold up but I'm happy with it. I can share some pics later but the car is filthy right now so fair warning. If it fails prematurely I'll either do a vinyl wrap next or just buy a set of black handles and swap them.

Thanks!

20160426_173910073_iOS_zps4vufuvkf.jpg

20160426_173904304_iOS_zpsvbdzs9yd.jpg

20160425_222531161_iOS_zpsiwxqaprb.jpg

20160415_003754785_iOS_zpsau86qglf.jpg

As far as handles I strongly recommend getting the set painted to match the body. You won't regret it and it looks amazing.

I just got my Explorer back after getting a sound system boost, detail, summer shoes put back on and led swap for interior and fogs.

ABE - looks and sounds amazing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as handles I strongly recommend getting the set painted to match the body. You won't regret it and it looks amazing.

I just got my Explorer back after getting a sound system boost, detail, summer shoes put back on and led swap for interior and fogs.

ABE - looks and sounds amazing.

I have a 2013 XLT, can you get white handles from Ford to replace the chrome ones?

Thank you in advance.

Back