Sport or Platinum!!!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport or Platinum!!!!

Ah, adaptive cruise, panoramic, dvd headrests...yes that gets you into the Platinum territory and makes sense to just buy the Platinum.

No DVD headrests - those are optional on every trim level. But just about everything else!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Platinum

It was the things I couldn't get in a Sport that pushed me to Platinum...from memory I think they were:

-Auto-parking parallel or perpendicular
-Lane-keeping system
-Upgraded Sony Stereo with additional processing
-Massaging seats

If I recall correctly, none of those were available on the 2016 Sport (even though at first I liked the black grill much more).

I think the Sport should be able to be equipped with the same options as the platinum. I'll be ordering a Sport when my current lease is up and I'll be checking just about every box. However, I like the look of the sport, not the platinum. So i can't get the look of the sport, and all of the features of the platinum. I just think thats stupid. If I'm ordering the Explorer, I should be able to add the features I want. (When I spec out the sport I want I'm around $52,000. So I get screwed I feel, But I still want the sport for the look...
many manufacturers only certain options in certain trim packages. That is the norm. I think it has more to do with marketing. If you could simply add the features you want, as you suggest, then there really would be no need to offer different trim levels. All you would need is the Base model and build from there. I think that you are also forgetting the difference between the Sport and Platinum goes beyond the available options. The Sport offers a different suspension and steering and transmission programming. The Platinum has more built in sound/noise reduction and a more upscale interior as well as some features not available in the Sport.
I built a Sport and Platinum on both the U.S. and Canadian websites, ticking every box including floor mats but not the smokers package or accessories.
The difference on the U.S. site was that the Platinum came in at $57,050 or $2,275 more than the Sport. On the Canadian site the Platinum was $64,339 or $4,350 more than the Sport.
I'm targeting either the 2017 or 2018 Platinum as my next vehicle with the Edge or MKX as possible contenders.

Peter

The difference on the U.S. site was that the Platinum came in at $57,050 or $2,275 more than the Sport. On the Canadian site the Platinum was $64,339 or $4,350 more than the Sport.

Remember that incentives are more on the Sport than the Platinum, so the actual price difference would be more than what the websites tell you. Like what [MENTION=293146]613GT500[/MENTION] stated, the actual difference is nearly $US 7,000 between loaded versions.

Pick a spending limit boys, and go from there. More money buys you more automobile, and it doesn't stop till Rolls territory..
Unless there is a size or budget limit, 55k brings a person close to stepping up into the large SUV territory, and that is a totally different level of sweet.

New redesigned Expedition anyone?

Pick a spending limit boys, and go from there.

No. I'd prefer to have flexibility in buying the options that I want. Options are the biggest source of profit for the dealer and manufacturer. The markups are enormous vs. the material/labor cost of actually providing it. I'd rather pick and choose up to a price that I can be comfortable with. Cheaper is better at the end.

Isn't that what I just said?

No DVD headrests - those are optional on every trim level. But just about everything else!

OK, I think my numbers were off a bit. I had my sales guy run '17 quotes.

Sport fully loaded up (no DVD) vs. Platinum. This includes a few dealer accessories - crossbars, mudflaps, etc. Platinum is $2,320 more at MSRP and $2,242 at invoice. Given I'm leasing, I think we are talking about @$40 per month more for Platinum.

The more I look at the Platinum, the more I don't care about the exterior vs the Sport. As I posted in the other forum - the nicety about the Platinum for me are the massaging front seats. My dealer doesn't have a Platinum in stock unfortunately either. Decisions, decisions....

You might want to try out those seats before you make your decision.
I have never sat in one, but from what I have read, they are highly disappointing. Some liken them to a mouse running under the side panels, and not actually messaging anything.

OK, I think my numbers were off a bit. I had my sales guy run '17 quotes.

Sport fully loaded up (no DVD) vs. Platinum. This includes a few dealer accessories - crossbars, mudflaps, etc. Platinum is $2,320 more at MSRP and $2,242 at invoice. Given I'm leasing, I think we are talking about @$40 per month more for Platinum.

The more I look at the Platinum, the more I don't care about the exterior vs the Sport. As I posted in the other forum - the nicety about the Platinum for me are the massaging front seats. My dealer doesn't have a Platinum in stock unfortunately either. Decisions, decisions....

I too went back and forth between the Sport and Platinum for over two weeks. I ended up with the Platinum and couldn't be happier. The lane keep, park assist, auto high beams, rain sensing wipers and massage seats are great and not available on the sport. The massage seats to me are amazing! They do a great job and you can adjust the intensity. Just my 2 cents :D

I too went back and forth between the Sport and Platinum for over two weeks. I ended up with the Platinum and couldn't be happier. The lane keep, park assist, auto high beams, rain sensing wipers and massage seats are great and not available on the sport. The massage seats to me are amazing! They do a great job and you can adjust the intensity. Just my 2 cents :D

Thank you for the input. I agree it's very tempting. May I ask what color did you get on your Platinum and what color(s) were you considering with the Sport?

Thank you for the input. I agree it's very tempting. May I ask what color did you get on your Platinum and what color(s) were you considering with the Sport?

Your welcome! I ended up with the Magnetic Gray. Gorgeous color. It was between the tri coat white and Magnetic on both models :)

I know the tough decision your facing! LOL! I love the blacked out look of the Sport and the red stitching on the seats. But I do love the look of the Platinum as well, the seats are so nice and I do like the look of the leather wrapped dash better as well. Along with the other perks that only come on the Platinum. :D

Your welcome! I ended up with the Magnetic Gray. Gorgeous color. It was between the tri coat white and Magnetic on both models :)

I know the tough decision your facing! LOL! I love the blacked out look of the Sport and the red stitching on the seats. But I do love the look of the Platinum as well, the seats are so nice and I do like the look of the leather wrapped dash better as well. Along with the other perks that only come on the Platinum. :D

That's the color I want too! Did you have an Explorer prior to this one?

That's the color I want too! Did you have an Explorer prior to this one?

I just love the way it looks in the sunlight!! Gorgeous!! This is my first explorer. Before this car I had a Mercedes Benz GL450. Before the Benz I had a Expedition and an Excursion. The Benz was nice, but man this Ex Platinum gives it a run for it's money!

Cant go wrong with Magnet Metallic. Is what I went with on my sport. My only complaint would be prior to purchasing I had gone to 4 local dealers and could not find a magnetic sport, limited, or platinum in stock and had only ever seen one XLT on the road in that color. After purchasing I've seen about 6 new Sports and Limited in my area in that color. They must have had a large shipment in that color here in socal immediately after taking delivery.

Cant go wrong with Magnet Metallic. Is what I went with on my sport. My only complaint would be prior to purchasing I had gone to 4 local dealers and could not find a magnetic sport, limited, or platinum in stock and had only ever seen one XLT on the road in that color. After purchasing I've seen about 6 new Sports and Limited in my area in that color. They must have had a large shipment in that color here in socal immediately after taking delivery.

Sounds like you might have considered the Platinum? Curious as to what why you went with the Sport.

Sounds like you might have considered the Platinum? Curious as to what why you went with the Sport.

To be honest when I was shopping I hadn't really even considered the platinum. I liked the look and performance of the sport model and to be honest really didn't do any research on the platinum. Unfortunately once I ended up making the purchase I decided to do some homework and really should have given the platinum more attention.

I picked up the sport almost fully loaded only feature I left out was the park assist as it wasn't something I even wanted. Then after I made the purchase I had to stop by the dealership to have them check something with the Sync system and noticed they had 2 platinums on the lot. Well I walked over and investigated for roughly 2-3k more I could have had a platinum with the lane keep, upgrade stereo, massaging seats, upgraded interior, etc. . I absolutely love my sport and have no regrets at all. It is a blast to drive, I had a great time taking it from Socal, to Vegas, up through flagstaff AZ and back through Sedona on a trip 3 weeks ago. It was an absolutely joy. Especially compared to my 2013 Edge sport I had traded in to get this.

To be honest when I was shopping I hadn't really even considered the platinum. I liked the look and performance of the sport model and to be honest really didn't do any research on the platinum. Unfortunately once I ended up making the purchase I decided to do some homework and really should have given the platinum more attention.

I picked up the sport almost fully loaded only feature I left out was the park assist as it wasn't something I even wanted. Then after I made the purchase I had to stop by the dealership to have them check something with the Sync system and noticed they had 2 platinums on the lot. Well I walked over and investigated for roughly 2-3k more I could have had a platinum with the lane keep, upgrade stereo, massaging seats, upgraded interior, etc. . I absolutely love my sport and have no regrets at all. It is a blast to drive, I had a great time taking it from Socal, to Vegas, up through flagstaff AZ and back through Sedona on a trip 3 weeks ago. It was an absolutely joy. Especially compared to my 2013 Edge sport I had traded in to get this.[/QUOTE

Thanks for your perspective. I think stereo is the same for '17; I actually don't know that I like the quilted panels and seats on the Platinum. Sport definitely wins the looks contest on the exterior IMHO. I don't think you can order park assist with the Sport (not that I want that). I'm going to see my dealer who has a F150 with the massaging seats and see if I really like them.

Back