• Register Today It's free!

fluids

tuin42man

Reaction score
City, State
Winston Salem NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 explorer limited
In the opinion of some of the more experienced people on this page, how often should brake fluid and transmission fluid be changed on 2012 limited with 3.5 engine. No towing or hard use. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the opinion of some of the more experienced people on this page, how often should brake fluid and transmission fluid be changed on 2012 limited with 3.5 engine. No towing or hard use. Thanks

Opinions are like a-holes.....everybody has one....lol!
Your manual should have the service guidelines as when to change fluids. If you want folks personal opinions, as for mine, I have never changed brake fluid on any vehicle I have ever owned unless I had to change a master cylinder and that only happened once on a 1975 F150 I had. Transmission oil also never gets changed unless work is required on it. I had a 2001 F150 that had 269,000 miles on it with the same transmission fluid in it when I traded it in on my Explorer.
I am sure you will get varying opinions, but the ultimate decision is up to you.

As CajunFordEx mentioned, the service intervals are shown in your Owner's Manual. I see no reason not to follow those procedures. Don't recall ever having brake or transmission fluid changed just for the sake of changing it.

Peter

Brake fluid is time based. First time 3 years, then every 2 years. If you are going to do it yourself, buy a Motive Power Bleeder from Amazon.

There is no such thing as lifetime fluid in a transmission.

I do transmissions on every vehicle at 60K intervals, except for my DSG Audi which is 35 K intervals. I used a BG shop on the Explorer for a fluid exchange via the cooler lines. With this method, you'll need to keep the temp in the transmission up while exchanging since the Explorer has a thermostat in the transmission. Foot on brake, e-brake set, car in 'R', and RPM at 1700-2000. Worked perfectly.

There is no pan to drop, or serviceable filter on the Explorer. There is a drain plug, but only drains 1/3 of fluid.

Good luck.

Follow the owners manual...nothing more and nothing less!

Follow the owners manual...nothing more and nothing less!

My owner's manual on my 2015 Limited says the transmission fluid normally does not require regular changes and should not require topping off under normal use. I don't see where it could hurt to do a fluid change if you wish, though.

So modern auto trans are actually designed to be flushed by machine. HOwever they still have a filter screen as well.

TO that end - I highly suggest at least once by 60K miles or 5 years, pan and filter drop and new fluid.

then again is about the same interval but you could roll out more like 100K and 5 years.

Reason for the shorter first drop - removal of any bits that could be in that filter from the first 5K miles of the car's life.

Brakes - 3 years is plenty of time for brake fluid to greatly reduce in boiling point. I would trade it at least that often - or however it is easier to plan it around your brake pad changes. If you happen to go some 5 years and 100K on your brake pads - and it is possible - then by all means get that fluid out by year 3. If you can.

HOwever any hard core use of the car - off roading, heavy towing, road course use etc - then swap the brake fluid out yearly.

I have trans fluid changed every 50,000 miles.

My owner's manual on my 2015 Limited says the transmission fluid normally does not require regular changes and should not require topping off under normal use. I don't see where it could hurt to do a fluid change if you wish, though.

Technically you're hurting your wallet :eek:

I totally agree with that, transmission fluid is not that expensive, let that transmission go bad, you're talking money for sure!

TO that end - I highly suggest at least once by 60K miles or 5 years, pan and filter drop and new fluid.

No pan on the new Explorers. Filter isn't serviceable without splitting the case when removed from vehicle.

It's drain or cooler line exchange.

I was just wondering what the community thought. Our dealer got the wife for both and said they should be done every 30000. I had never heard of this and it is surely not in the service manual except transmission fluid at 150000

On all vehicles, I do a 30k mile trans fluid "pan drop", filter change and refill. (this just changes 1/3 of the fluid each time).

Since the Explorer has just a drain plug and internal filter, I'm just gonna drain and fill every 30k miles.

This video is a great explanation on why you should change it sooner than later. You can't change the filter. Ford takes on this philosophy to consider lifetime of the car to be 150K miles. After that, they don't care so a lot of your "lifetime" fluids are only up to 150K max. Change it every 50K. Your transmission would be happier. If you have a PTU, I suggest you try to get that fluid changed too by someone who's knowledgeable.

6F35 is the smaller version of the transmission in the Explorer but the design is the same.

No pan on the new Explorers. Filter isn't serviceable without splitting the case when removed from vehicle.

It's drain or cooler line exchange.

seems I need to do more poking around. we are at 21K on our car (less than one year old damn it).

if that's the case then I'm going back to my other statement - modern trans are meant to be flushed by machine. So I will do a machine flush or whatever the ford system is - at the dealer.

and I'll do it probably at or near 50K, then think about it again at year 5 or so.

the modern fluid, by the way has a synethic polymer base so it is able to live for far longer than the old mercon or Dex 4 fluids of yesteryear.

OH notice there wasn't mention of the coolant. Yes it can live for around 5 years or 100K miles.

I am a firm believer is getting that first run stuff out of the way. just like my recommended 2K or less oil change. so now that the car has lived 1 year and probably 24K miles by then - I'm looking into doing the first coolant change.

after that I will indeed let it ride out to 5 years - regardless of the miles. and swap it out again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back