How many actually own an Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many actually own an Explorer

How many own an Explorer?

• Currently own

Votes: 106 89.8%
  • Previously own

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Researching getting ready to buy

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other (just poking around as I have nothing better to do)

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Had a 96 with the 4.0 and a 2002 with the 4.6..Perferred the 4.6 in the 2002 a lot better..Both were excellent vehicles as I drove them from Miami-NYC several times a year..Both had awesome back support IMHO and ran flawlessly for over 200K miles..Both were only dealer serviced by a awesome Ford dealer at that time.

If the 2011 and up had a 4.6 or even a 3.7 [like law enforcement have] I would be all over it..The 3.5 does not cut it for me as I drove several with the 3.5 already..Looking at 2014 Navigators,Expeditions, or even possibly a Tahoe or Suburban to replace my current vehicle later in the year..I do not want to deal with Turbos..As long as I can have a V8 I will do my best to get one.

I agree with the v8.
If they offered the same v8 that's available in the F150, I'd trade mine in a heart beat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree with the v8. If they offered the same v8 that's available in the F150, I'd trade mine in a heart beat.
You can't get that V8 in an Expedition either, though, so you can see which way they're going.

3rd Explorer

2007 Explorer LTD
Then a couple of Honda Ridgeline's
2013 Explorer Sport
2016 Explorer Sport

Brian

You can't get that V8 in an Expedition either, though, so you can see which way they're going.

There is no chance Ford goes back to the V-8. They are committed to the turbo thing. I'm not a believer in that set up.
We bought a New Yukon Denali DI 6.2L with 420/460/8 speed. More power, same mileage and no turbo lag.
There is no chance I would go with a large Ford SUV with a small turbo V-6.
Actually, I won't buy a large SUV under 400hp. Just too big.

Thanks to everyone for posting / answering the poll...

There is no chance Ford goes back to the V-8. They are committed to the turbo thing. I'm not a believer in that set up.
We bought a New Yukon Denali DI 6.2L with 420/460/8 speed. More power, same mileage and no turbo lag.
I see your point, though the Ecoboost isn't exactly small at 3.5L. I'm OK with it, but I would not, for example, feel comfortable in one of the new Volvo XC90s that has a 2 liter 4 cylinder engine both turbocharged and supercharged to make 316HP. I can see that kind of tech showing its colors as I pull a camper over Wolf Creek Pass.

The way I look at it is this - if a company would put a non-turbo version of the engine in the same car as a lesser-powered option, I'd consider the turbo version. As the Ecoboost is more or less a turbocharged version of the 3.5 in the XLT.

At my altitude there are advantages to turbo engines, so I tend to be a little more open-minded. My favorite car ever, though, was my 2005 5 series BMW, which had a naturally aspirated 4.4L V8 that sounded like Gabriel's horn.

How long did it take you to get used to the tip-in on that Denali? Those things have crazy power, but I felt like the throttle needed an adrenaline shot. Super nice vehicle though; I wish I could get my wife to consider one.

I see your point, though the Ecoboost isn't exactly small at 3.5L. I'm OK with it, but I would not, for example, feel comfortable in one of the new Volvo XC90s that has a 2 liter 4 cylinder engine both turbocharged and supercharged to make 316HP. I can see that kind of tech showing its colors as I pull a camper over Wolf Creek Pass.

The way I look at it is this - if a company would put a non-turbo version of the engine in the same car as a lesser-powered option, I'd consider the turbo version. As the Ecoboost is more or less a turbocharged version of the 3.5 in the XLT.

At my altitude there are advantages to turbo engines, so I tend to be a little more open-minded. My favorite car ever, though, was my 2005 5 series BMW, which had a naturally aspirated 4.4L V8 that sounded like Gabriel's horn.

How long did it take you to get used to the tip-in on that Denali? Those things have crazy power, but I felt like the throttle needed an adrenaline shot. Super nice vehicle though; I wish I could get my wife to consider one.

I haven't noticed any lag or weird response, but I'm not a throttle stabber either..
It's no where near as enemic off the line as our 5.3 Tahoe used to be. I think the new lower geared 1st of the 8 speed takes care of a lot of throttle shortcomings that may have been there from the past, and the DI seems to give instant response. The 6.2L makes that fat ass SUV drive like its half the weight it actually is.

As you stated, the only place I can see a smaller turbocharged engine being viable would be diesel applications or at high altitude. Turbo boost would make a major difference in power in thin air, where NA engines struggle with a lack of oxygen.

IMO, I'm not a believer in smaller turbo engines. You couldn't give me a 2.3l EB for this Ex we have on order.
Personally, I think Ford's small turbo engines are just too small. Give me the 2.7L as a base engine, and I would consider. I personally think the 2.3L has too much stress on a small, lower compression turbo engine. Just not enough overall displacement for the weight. Totally useless unless on full boost.
You know, It's just my opinion. Others may see it totally different.

Anyway, as much as I would love to buy a redesigned Navigator for my wife next time, I will pass if the engine is a 3.5L TT.

Why did you bail on the Yukon Denali?.....they are beautiful now since the 15 refresh.

I had a 2007 and loved it.

Why did you bail on the Yukon Denali?.....they are beautiful now since the 15 refresh.

I had a 2007 and loved it.

The Denali is my wife's vehicle here in Buffalo.
The Ex is for a vacation home we just bought in SW Florida.
It's going to be drop shipped there.

I'm on my 7th Explorer.

Guess you could say that I like them. :)

I'm on my 7th Explorer.

Guess you could say that I like them. :)

You need to update your Profile, you are one vehicle behind. :eek::D

Going to stick this into the mix.
Sunday took a drive around the outer loop at 60-65 mph for a hour plus occasionally hitting 70.
Mostly flat with a few rolls here and there. Had reset the MPG at the on ramp and watch as the MPG average climbed to 26.8.
Surprised me that just keeping my foot out of it managed that good of a number which I wonder if it was topped out as I reached my destination.

First Explorer for me, but 3rd Ford

Second Ford: Eddie Bauer Bronco with bad valve guides after 25,000 miles
First and best Ford: 1956 Big Window F-100 with a Ford 427 and Jag rear end, Mustang II front clip.

Thanks to all who answered the poll. I was pleasantly surprised to see so many repeat owners...

Going to stick this into the mix.
Sunday took a drive around the outer loop at 60-65 mph for a hour plus occasionally hitting 70.
Mostly flat with a few rolls here and there. Had reset the MPG at the on ramp and watch as the MPG average climbed to 26.8.
Surprised me that just keeping my foot out of it managed that good of a number which I wonder if it was topped out as I reached my destination.

I started to do the same in my commute with my AWD Explorer and I get that number as well. I calculated if the average was right or not by filling up at the same pump, driving 60 miles up and down i-95, and doing the calculation and ti's right.

It's so hard to keep the foot out of the pedal though. The feel of horsepower and torque going through your back on the hwy is a good feeling.

LOL! Thanks RetroHarley for catching that.

THIS site is the best Explorer site on the web. Lots of smart members who are also enthusiasts who are more than willing to spend their time answering questions and pointing me in the right direction with my order.
I thank each and every one of you for answering my questions, and making this purchase fun.

Thank you for the positive feedback! It's always great to hear that folks are finding the forums to be useful :thumbsup:

Back