TSB 16-0080. 2016 Explorer Seat Cooling TSB - Backs of seats fail to cool properly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TSB 16-0080. 2016 Explorer Seat Cooling TSB - Backs of seats fail to cool properly

jmr061

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Exp Sport
TSB 16-0080

May 4 2016 3026 - 2015-2016 Edge And 2016 Explorer - Climate Controlled Seats - Lack Of Cooling Performance From The Front Seat Backrest - Built On Or Before 2/12/2016

I have noticed mine tend to get warm after a while and feared this may be coming.

FORD:
2015-2016 Edge
2016 Explorer
This article supersedes TSB 15-0166 to add a production fix date, update the vehicle model years and Service Procedure.
ISSUE
Some 2015-2016 Edge and 2016 Explorer vehicles built on or before 2/12/16

I didn't catch or post the original 15-0166 as that was put out just when I bought mine lol. A search didn't show that 15-0166 was ever published on this forum either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was always under the impression (until I joined this site), that the heat/cool function only worked on the bottom portion of the seat and not the back rest, as I can barely feel, if at all; anythin on the back.

I think this effects all model year Explorers - the cooling portion sucks to say the least.

Mine gets COLD after a while (so far up to almost 100 outside) mine seem to work fine.

Thanks...I'll look into this.

I checked mine yesterday & the back doesn't cool. I'll have the dealer address it when I take it in for an oil change. Thanks for pointing out the updated TSB.

The backs of my seats don't cool or heat, but I am not sure why they would. They do heat and cool at my lower back, which is great for me!
I've seen some posters that say their seats don't get very cool, but mine sure do.

Ok, so I had a chance to test out both drivers and passenger front seats and they both work, albeit only at two sections of the seat; which is the bottom/butt and upper back.
If we divide the seats into 3 segmants (butt, lower back and upper back), I can definitely feel the heat/cool on the butt portion and upper back; not so much on the lower back!

I guess this falls under the TSB of not "properly" functioning?

Mine work like a champ....They will freeze you out...

Mine work like a champ....They will freeze you out...

When did you get your's? I have 16XP and the cooled seats only work for butt, they don't seem to cool you in lower or upper back.

Wow all this time i thought my Explorers only did the bottom of the seat. Id rather my back have AC then my ass. Thanks for the TSB !!

I'll have the dealer check mine since it's sitting there for the throttle body issue.

When did you get your's? I have 16XP and the cooled seats only work for butt, they don't seem to cool you in lower or upper back.

Bought mine in February of 2016. Build date was 11.11.2015

There was also a TSB for the F150's due to many complaints about the seat backs not cooling. Ours cools just fine. No issues. I do not believe all the vehicles have the problem.

On my EXP I can turn on the passengers seat with no one seated and feel the cold air coming out of the seat back and it is cold.

Anyone know how long will the seat cooling repair take? Something dealer can address while in for oil change or I need to leave my vehicle there for a while?

Anyone know how long will the seat cooling repair take? Something dealer can address while in for oil change or I need to leave my vehicle there for a while?

Based on lack of part availability (which appears just to be every single item on the EX), it can be weeks waiting for parts alone.

Since the TSB recently came out I doubt anyone has ad the issue addressed yet.

Peter

Mine will be looked at / worked on as it sits waiting for the TB. might know by mid-late next week.

TSB states 1.6 - 2 hours. They do have to order new blower units though. I suspect its much like the 15 F150 issue where after a bit of use it sucks in hot air created by the motors which causes it to not cool as it should. That is only a guess.

Based on lack of part availability (which appears just to be every single item on the EX), it can be weeks waiting for parts alone.

I hope not but I am afraid you are right.

Since the TSB recently came out I doubt anyone has ad the issue addressed yet.

Peter

We shall see.

TSB states 1.6 - 2 hours. They do have to order new blower units though. I suspect its much like the 15 F150 issue where after a bit of use it sucks in hot air created by the motors which causes it to not cool as it should. That is only a guess.

I c. I guess I'll wait and see after someone gets done and go from there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back