Livernois tune experience | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Livernois tune experience

It is VERY complex!
Here is everything that you need in order to swap out the MAP sensors:

1 Screwdriver

It is that labor intensive! Here are all of the steps to swap them:

1. unlock car
2. pop hood
3. unclip engine cover
4. unscrew 2 BAR MAP
5. screw in 3 BAR MAP
6. pop engine cover back on
7. close hood
8. load 3 BAR tune
9. AND THIS IS THE IMPORTANT OF ALL...GO HAVE FUN DRIVING YOUR CAR!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as tailpipe emissions testing goes (required annually here in GA)- will I or will I not pass with the LMS 93boost tune and 160 (or 170) Tstat and 3-bar?
It seems the 3-bar swap to OEM is not difficult, but I beg to differ with a Tstat OEM swap...

We do not have emissions testing here in Michigan at all. All of our parts are marketed as being performance parts. There is a chance that you would get a CEL with any aftermarket tstat installed, but that is not a certainty. Personally, I do not think that 30 or so mins annually to swap your tstat is that big of a deal, but I can certainly see why you would rather not be bothered.

There is a chance that you would get a CEL with any aftermarket tstat installed, but that is not a certainty.

Don't your tunes tell the computer to ignore an aftermarket thermostat?

Tony

Absolutely not!

You cannot tell the ECM to ignore a system that is responsible for the cooling of your engine. We alter the operating temp that your ECM deems allowable, as well as altering your cooling fan settings to allow for optimal cooling capabilities.

As far as tailpipe emissions testing goes (required annually here in GA)- will I or will I not pass with the LMS 93boost tune and 160 (or 170) Tstat and 3-bar?
It seems the 3-bar swap to OEM is not difficult, but I beg to differ with a Tstat OEM swap...

Good point with emissions testing.
Here in Canada (in Ontario), our emissiosn testing has converted from the sniff test to OBD "plug n play".

A CEL is an automatic failure, in which they wont even proceed further.

Absolutely not!

You cannot tell the ECM to ignore a system that is responsible for the cooling of your engine. We alter the operating temp that your ECM deems allowable, as well as altering your cooling fan settings to allow for optimal cooling capabilities.

I wasn't suggesting to ignore the entire system, just the difference in temperature with the new tstat. Which it sounds like you do. So, why would we still possibly get a CEL?

Tony

That is not what we do at all. Nor was what you brought up part of the initial question regarding emissions testing.

The question was, will running on the stock file produce a CEL with the aftermarket tstat?

The answer to that is, yes, it is possible that you will have a CEL on the stock file/160°tstat combo.

Have there been clients that report back to us that they have been able to pass emissions testing in several states with their tune and aftermarket parts on, yes. However, as we do not have emissions testing here or advertise our parts as having any ability to pass we will always recommend to revert the vehicle to stock to ensure passing any testing.

That is not what we do at all. Nor was what you brought up part of the initial question regarding emissions testing.

The question was, will running on the stock file produce a CEL with the aftermarket tstat?

The answer to that is, yes, it is possible that you will have a CEL on the stock file/160°tstat combo.

Have there been clients that report back to us that they have been able to pass emissions testing in several states with their tune and aftermarket parts on, yes. However, as we do not have emissions testing here or advertise our parts as having any ability to pass we will always recommend to revert the vehicle to stock to ensure passing any testing.

Please help educate me. Can you eliminate the possibility of getting a CEL by incorporating something in the tune to ignore the different operating temperature of a 160 degree tstat? Regardless of emissions testing. I just don't want a CEL to stare at whenever I drive my car. It's fine if you can't, or if the answer is "maybe." I'm just wondering what may make a CEL come on and what the tune might or might not be able to do to stop that from happening. I'm just being curios, not accusatory. :)

Tony

Tony,

When combined with our tuning you will not have a CEL, because we add that modification into the logic of our tuning.

Tony,

When combined with our tuning you will not have a CEL, because we add that modification into the logic of our tuning.

I think this answers my original question perfectly (despite how badly I worded it!). Thank you.

Tony

Can I run this throttle body spacer with your 93boost, Livernois?
http://m.autoanything.com/air-intakes/taylor-cable-helix-power-tower-throttle-body-spacer

Or do you recommend a different/better one?

I've decided I'm going to do the LMS tune with regapped plugs, 3-bar and 160 tstat. I've also ordered an MDesign intake

My $0.02, don't bother with the spacer. The performance gains they state(or even a fraction of it) will not be observed on the Explorer and you'd just be throwing your money away.

Can I run this throttle body spacer with your 93boost, Livernois?
http://m.autoanything.com/air-intakes/taylor-cable-helix-power-tower-throttle-body-spacer

Or do you recommend a different/better one?

I've decided I'm going to do the LMS tune with regapped plugs, 3-bar and 160 tstat. I've also ordered an MDesign intake

We do not recommend any type of intake or throttle body spacers at all. There is nothing to be gained by these mods as the limitations of the EcoBoosts or any MAP vehicle have nothing to do with the volumetric capacity of air.

I think this answers my original question perfectly (despite how badly I worded it!). Thank you.

Tony

No worries Tony, have a good day!:thumbsup:

I just flashed the Livernois 93boost tune with 3-bar map sensor, 160 tstat, .030 gapped plugs and MDesigns CAI. Took it for a spin and all seems well. Real fun to drive now! I've also changed all fluids to synthetic- oil, trans, rear diff, and extended life DexCool. All but PTU which will be done next week- found out it has to be vacuumed out of my 2013 since the 2013s have no drain plug. Putting Mobil1 synthetic in...and as Livernois recommended, I will fill to the fill line then add an extra pint. Currently 48K miles.
Also had all windows tinted including the entire windshield. It's really cut down on the heat buildup inside the vehicle.
H&K lowering springs are sitting in my garage ready to be installed in a few weeks (1.6" front/2" rear) and then 275/45/20 tires will go on in the fall when the current stock 255/50/20s wear out.
Thanks Livernois and everyone for your help!!!

You are very welcome! Glad to see that you are loving your revitalized XSport! If there is anything else that we can do please let us know!

Well, day 1 and 2 were fun. Day 3 (today) I accelerated too hard I guess because all of a sudden "POP" then no boost power anymore. Now I'm limping around all day wondering when I can get it into the shop to see how much damage was done.

Well, day 1 and 2 were fun. Day 3 (today) I accelerated too hard I guess because all of a sudden "POP" then no boost power anymore. Now I'm limping around all day wondering when I can get it into the shop to see how much damage was done.
My first guess is that you blew off an intercooler hose. They may need replaced depending upon age and how oil soaked your's are. Slip it back on, tighten her up and see if the fun is back.

Your first guess was the correct guess! Found the tube that blew off, but not before oil splatted most of the engine compartment. Reclamped it, and checked/tightened all other hose clamps as well. Crisis averted!! Thanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A great way to avoid this from happening again you can always use some T-bolt clamps to tighten her up!

Back