• Register Today It's free!

91 XLT Alternator

flsparky277

Reaction score
City, State
St. Cloud, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XLT
How can you tell which alternator is on a 91 Explorer. It is a rebuilt one. The bearing is screaming and I want to rebuild it. There are usually two different listings, one for a 95 amp and one for 60, 75, 80 Amp. Just would like to pick up parts before disasembly. Have looked through posts here and have not been able to locate anything. All help is greatly welcome...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All first gen Explorers should have a 95 amp alternator. The only exception is the Limited models came with a 130 amp.

Instead of rebuilding you could upgrade to the 130 amp if you wanted.

I would upgrade to the 130 amp alternator. I did, and it worked great for my aftermarket amp.

Plus, you get a warrenty. It goes out again, you get a new one free. No fuss, no muss.

All first gen Explorers should have a 95 amp alternator. The only exception is the Limited models came with a 130 amp.

Instead of rebuilding you could upgrade to the 130 amp if you wanted.
Oh, really?? Good to know.

I would upgrade to the 130 amp alternator. I did, and it worked great for my aftermarket amp.

Plus, you get a warrenty. It goes out again, you get a new one free. No fuss, no muss.

Quick question. Did you have to upgrade any wiring to do this? It's been on my list of things to do, but I wasn't sure if I had to upgrade anything else.

Now only if finding a limited edition in the junkyard was easy:shifty_ey

I put a 130A alternator in our '92 XLT a few years ago and haven't had any problems. FWIW, no automotive alternator puts out its rated current for more than a few minutes. It can't get rid of that much excess heat. The rating has to be considered a peak, not continuous. You should see the size of the 125A continuous rated alternator on our boat - it's huge!

I put a 130A alternator in our '92 XLT a few years ago and haven't had any problems. FWIW, no automotive alternator puts out its rated current for more than a few minutes. It can't get rid of that much excess heat. The rating has to be considered a peak, not continuous. You should see the size of the 125A continuous rated alternator on our boat - it's huge!

Not just how long they put out the rated AMPs but at what RPM as well. A rated 130 AMP alt. only puts out that much between 2500-3000 RPM. So the max output is a little deceiving. They usually put out more max, but less than expected at the RPMs of normal driving.

Yes the 93-94 Limited alternator drops right in. I have run one for years with no problems

Quick question. Did you have to upgrade any wiring to do this? It's been on my list of things to do, but I wasn't sure if I had to upgrade anything else.

No change to wiring needed. Direct bolt-in/drop-in for the 130 Limited alt. On my truck I have to do a little more "persuasion" with the 130 amp, but that may just be due to slight manufacturing differences.

Now only if finding a limited edition in the junkyard was easy

You don't have to go to a junkyard. You can go to a place like AutoZone and ask for an alternator for a 93 or 94 Limited. They'll have it. Any decent auto parts store will.

No upgrades to the wiring, bolts right in and hooks right up, same as factory.

Back