GPS Connection Delays | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GPS Connection Delays

The day after I posted, the GPS connection went back to "normal" - connected after about 4 minutes - so I didn't mention it when I took the car for service. I've traded it in on a 2016 Platinum but haven't driven anywhere yet so I don't know yet if it will have a similar connection time.

Hey HDJulie,

Great! If you have any other questions, don't be shy. :)

Shaay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drove home and all was well. They put in new GPSM, is that the antenna? I am confused, they said antenna but paperwork said "Replaced GPSM, Reprogram, Retest...good to go"
Also says;
1 BB5Z*10E893*B AERIALl ASY - GPS
Like I said worked fine, no redX until I got in the garage at home. :)
Will watch this and report back.

UPDATE: Just returned from a 2600 mile roadtrip to Florida and back to Long Island. Not one single issue with the Navigation System at any time. We drove through heavy rain which in the past had the Nav System showing me running through the woods and totally lost. This time worked perfect from day one until we got home 12 days later.

Happy Camper! So in my case it was my GPSM! :thumbsup:

Greetings, all. I just bought an 11 Explorer XLT about a month ago and I've noticed a similar issue. It's taken me awhile to identify the exact issue. When I bought it, everything seemed fine...but I think I was still new to having an in-dash touchscreen (I'm coming from an '02 Sport Trac.)

Anyway, as soon as I bought it, I purchased the A7 navigation update and did the MFT update as well. The system kept locking up after that like it was having trouble reading from the SD card. I took it to the dealer where I bought it and they updated "all the systems" they acted like they have access to more updates than I have access to at owner.ford.com. I'm new to all of this, so I just said 'cool' and took my car home.

The locking up has seemed to go away, but the GPS still has issues getting a lock. It happens more when I first go to work than any other time. I go to work at 6am eastern, so the sun is still down (if that makes a difference.) It usually won't get a lock until 10 minutes into my drive.

Should I take this back to the dealer to have them check the GPSM for updates and possibly replace? I'm envious of those of you that say yours connects within 15-20 seconds.

On a side note, I didn't know that the GPSM was a separate unit until reading this thread, so I didn't know to specifically ask them to check the GPSM for updates.

Thanks to anyone that can throw some advise my way. I really love my new (to me) vehicle. It's quite the step up from the 02 Sport Trac.

Greetings, all. I just bought an 11 Explorer XLT about a month ago and I've noticed a similar issue. It's taken me awhile to identify the exact issue. When I bought it, everything seemed fine...but I think I was still new to having an in-dash touchscreen (I'm coming from an '02 Sport Trac.)

Anyway, as soon as I bought it, I purchased the A7 navigation update and did the MFT update as well. The system kept locking up after that like it was having trouble reading from the SD card. I took it to the dealer where I bought it and they updated "all the systems" they acted like they have access to more updates than I have access to at owner.ford.com. I'm new to all of this, so I just said 'cool' and took my car home.

The locking up has seemed to go away, but the GPS still has issues getting a lock. It happens more when I first go to work than any other time. I go to work at 6am eastern, so the sun is still down (if that makes a difference.) It usually won't get a lock until 10 minutes into my drive.

Should I take this back to the dealer to have them check the GPSM for updates and possibly replace? I'm envious of those of you that say yours connects within 15-20 seconds.

On a side note, I didn't know that the GPSM was a separate unit until reading this thread, so I didn't know to specifically ask them to check the GPSM for updates.

Thanks to anyone that can throw some advise my way. I really love my new (to me) vehicle. It's quite the step up from the 02 Sport Trac.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Sun up or sun down, it shouldn't make a difference. The time it takes to lock on the satellite(s) could vary. I don't usually have my screen set on navigation so I can't really say how long it takes mine to get a signal. If they did a 'bunch' of updates, I'm guessing the GPSM would have been included. Just a guess though. Good luck and try to stay off farmer's fields and rivers.;)

Peter

Ford hasn't figured this GPS thing out. There is no permanent fix yet identified, although there are things you can do to make you feel like you could potentially fix it. Unfortunate...

Ford hasn't figured this GPS thing out. There is no permanent fix yet identified, although there are things you can do to make you feel like you could potentially fix it. Unfortunate...

Well they do say misery loves company. Glad to know I'm not in this alone. :)

Well they do say misery loves company. Glad to know I'm not in this alone. :)

You're not even close to alone on this one... There's LOTS of discussion on this fupa...

After two TSBs performed on this and my 4th visit, they finally agreed to replace the GPSM.. so far haven't had any issues locking on but it wasn't a daily thing.

Despite being a Daily Driver, it would happen a couple times a month at most and take 20-30 minutes to lock on even with 100% clear skies on major highways..

Will continue to monitor.

After two TSBs performed on this and my 4th visit, they finally agreed to replace the GPSM.. so far haven't had any issues locking on but it wasn't a daily thing.

Despite being a Daily Driver, it would happen a couple times a month at most and take 20-30 minutes to lock on even with 100% clear skies on major highways..

Will continue to monitor.

Did you pay for getting that all done or was it covered by warranty.

Back